kiya

Shoes that look better with age...

1 hour ago, mlwdp said:

@BroarkSock styles make a difference in fitting, might help with your Lofgrens.  I can tell when I switch from cotton to wool in my Wescos so I wear wool now.  

Definitely does impact it, I think part of the issue is that when I was in high school I had reconstructive ankle surgery on my right ankle.
I suspect that my range of motion isn't as good as my left foot, so when I straighten my foot out to put it in the boot I can't quite get the right angle.
I have no issues with my Viberg engineers, as the shaft is a bit wider. Easy on and off.

Roughout boondocker recommendation? 
the Lofgren m43 are my dream boots but can’t justify the price. 

Posted (edited)

You can can rough out  boondockers from Buzz for less than $500.

5673EA72-9E73-45CC-991E-C1570FB7380F.jpeg

Edited by mlwdp

I stumbled across this company a while ago and was going to post it just for info, and now I have reason! :P 

Made by HH Brown. I did a little digging, and they might be made in the Corcoran factory. Their boots look decent. They don't offer the Reverse Upper in wide, otherwise I'd seriously consider a pair. The Rubber Taps are offered in wide, but I'm not into the toe bump. 

At The Front Service Shoe Reverse Upper 

RO_main1.jpg

Service Shoe Rubber Taps 

SS_box.jpg

WWII Impressions makes 2 versions. They're footwear is made by Corcoran, to their specs. 

Army Service Shoe, Reverse Upper 

Shoes, Service, Reverse Uppers, Composition Sole

Marines Service Shoe Boondocker 

Shoes, Service, Boondocker, USN/USMC (Corded Heel) 

SM Wholesale USA - US Army Roughout Boots

USROboots1-600x600.jpg

None of those options are going to be as good as JP brands. You get what you pay for. 

4 hours ago, mpukas said:

None of those options are going to be as good as JP brands. You get what you pay for. 

I’ll bet they all last as long as the Lofgren boots - and I’m saying that as an owner

I’ve got the buzz ricksons ones. They are great. Comfortable on the Munson last and feel pretty tough but light(ish) weight. I think mine were about £350 from Eastman pop up store

3525779C-2862-41BB-B06E-936E753C8A8A.jpeg

1 hour ago, Duke Mantee said:

I’ll bet they all last as long as the Lofgren boots - and I’m saying that as an owner

Agree, generally. I was thinking in terms of quality of construction & materials, QC, etc. Especially the mid-sole and out-sole. And can't not mention design and details. JL is among the best of the best. Good design comes with it's own price tag. 

+rep for balancing on the swings, with your feet cocked up, and managing to take a decent photo. 

I did have my kids with me. Promise

I had a pair of the wwii impressions. I really liked them. Wore the hell out of them. Had a resole done locally and they botched it. They were never the same again. I threw them out last year. They’re definitely good for the money. They seem to be perpetually out of stock tho. 

2B6F9F48-65A1-4D97-B181-7B4D5445B4FB.jpeg

9 hours ago, unders said:

+rep for balancing on the swings, with your feet cocked up, and managing to take a decent photo. 

I though he'd fallen on his arse :D

@eeejayaich thanks for the pics - the boots are spot on, look great... are they the underdogs? How are they for comfort?

47 minutes ago, MJF9 said:

@eeejayaich thanks for the pics - the boots are spot on, look great... are they the underdogs? How are they for comfort?

They are the underdogs with a low woodsman heel. They were comfortable from the beginning. And got more so with wear. 

12 hours ago, eeejayaich said:

@MJF9, here are some before and after cleaning pics. 

7A9FF852-F650-47B3-BBAE-38227B5A1A1A.jpeg

Love these, put my deposit down for a pair of these as well. Is this the regular CXL black horsehide? Doesnt seem to patina too quickly

Posted (edited)

@SLAB, you are going to love these boots. The fit and comfort are amazing.  It is the regular CXL black horsehide. It is pretty tough. I still don’t have any scratches or abrasions on the leather. I use a heavy wax to condition my boots because I live in a place with single digit humidity unless it’s raining. Which is not often. 

Edited by eeejayaich

On 7/13/2020 at 9:26 AM, eeejayaich said:

@SLAB, you are going to love these boots. The fit and comfort are amazing.  It is the regular CXL black horsehide. It is pretty tough. I still don’t have any scratches or abrasions on the leather. I use a heavy wax to condition my boots because I live in a place with single digit humidity unless it’s raining. Which is not often. 

Do you know if this leather ("regular CXL black horsehide") is different from his "hand tinted HH," which I see so many pics of?  I like yours better than a lot of the pics I see of RC boots with wear, where the HH gets all creased up.  I know some folks like the latter, and I understand why, but this looks better to me.

@tod the 'hand tinted HH' is the regular CXL brown HH that he hand dyed black. It is still different from the super HH that has the wrinkly characteristic and comes with a serious upcharge

Not sure if anyone would be interested but Skomaker Dagestad is doing a GMTO of their Garen boot in Olive CXL. These are made by Miyagi Kogyo and look similar to John Lofgren combat boots but significantly cheaper. 

B2F75230-76BB-4464-9A63-5BE220DC21F8.thumb.jpeg.d5b340669f1c51fd38ce625256af5a93.jpeg

Moto Engineers at about 1 year

Posted (edited)

Such shame to see these go, but having over a dozen pair of boots is kinda superfluous for the kind of lifestyle I’m leading, at present :sad:

[Unworn] Viberg Burgundy CXL on 2005 last.

C531E097-E935-41B1-AB69-9EF693445412.thumb.jpeg.01a1a91ab64b9cdff1cd7d704282728d.jpeg9482F9A7-2643-4A48-BADB-E7B4D0B0EB0B.thumb.jpeg.98a1b6cf437eb300bee0dab0e12a641d.jpeg3668837A-CE8C-4C00-B2BA-F67B4868D2A1.thumb.jpeg.dfdc48d6386b76a088ba6992a4be0954.jpegC2107DC9-DC21-43C9-9ADE-DF3C8CC63A37.thumb.jpeg.72bae52d004a14449f308667a3719cac.jpeg

Taken w/ indirect sunlight...082DDB8A-51E9-498D-922B-9EDA68E6211C.thumb.jpeg.37231df90ab68f8403f59bdab3e85c6a.jpeg2FFA1675-0B3B-4F2F-8671-59B3AACA5907.thumb.jpeg.20964b86c0701b437e0c62aeb428c0a9.jpeg

Edited by BrownMetallic