Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

I wear jeans and boots all year long, but then again UK has exactly 10 days of summer (if we're lucky) so never really feel too hot. Only if I went to a gig or something, I would wear trainers.

I used to wear converses in summer, which were great, but got fed up with how quickly they can fall apart and how useless they are in rain. Again, in UK that is pretty much a near constant threat haha

Believe me the price will be good. In doing it just for your guys sake not to profit. I wanna make the ultimate engineer with a good price. Cordovan colors in burgundy and black available horsehide in black available , cowhide also is possible pm me if you need more info.

Old last

Low vamp

Heel with 1 lift

Biltrite heel

Biltrite outsole ( can choose half or full sole from dr sole or vibram too)

9 inch height or 10 inch

Double celastic heel

No toe celastics

Steel iron shank

Copper rivets ( if you want but I suggest no water goes in quickly)

Roller buckles brass or nickle

Straps are longer than usual maybe an inch more

Cut off top

Single midsole

Storm welt

Veg tan insole

Goat lining on vamp

No lining on shaft

@Niro: Nice boots but what jeans are you wearing, super nice denim!

Thanks! Those are my Oni 546zr. My favourite jeans at the moment, although summer is here now so they have been relegated to the wardrobe  :(

Oakstreet bootmakers ang thoughts their crap right?

I have handled (not worn or owned) the trenchboot and it seems well made and decent.  I dont think its worth what they ask for it.  The trail oxfords I have are comfortable but they use a fake welt to look like a stitch down construction, when they are standard mocc construction.  Not a huge deal in the big scheme of things but they were very evasive when I asked about it and they did an awful job fixing the fake welt when it came unglued.  I mean a terrible job.  I personally think they are riding the heritage craze and at the end of the day, nothing special.  

Edited by garden gnomes in space

Anyone experienced an issue like this on Alden?

noLagen.jpg

I just got these today and didn't notice that imperfection until I got home. They are a b-width shoe so replacing them would be a pretty long wait :/

honestly, as annoying as it is thats pretty mild compared to some of the bullshit Alden puts out.  I love my Indy's but Alden QC seems to miss a lot of slop.  

Having picked up a few too many new Aldens as of late, I can say that stray threads seem to come standard these days...I personally don't mind or let it get to me as I wear them more as dress boots rather than dress boots but totally get the frustration. 

Speaking of new Aldens:

26257982974_4a9436857f_c.jpg

Very nice Max Power & Aho.

Well I went back to the retailer today on my Alden's and he assured me that he had someone that could restitch them. I thought they might be an easy repair and he seemed to think so. I'll drop them off next week and hope for the best.

Oakstreet bootmakers ang thoughts their crap right?

There's one of those Pop Up Flea things going on in Austin right now and Oakstreet was there, holy cringe.

Guys walking about wearing high sextuple cuffed LVC's, gingham shirts and wax canvas aprons on helping people try shoes on.

Like...what?  :huh:

I think they're just riding the tend. Wouldn't give them my money I don't think.

Besides, the monster cuffs, is that really an usual or "hipster" outfit? Maybe if they had big rim glasses and handlebar mustaches and immense beards but what makes it any more cringey from what others have posted here on sufu?

Oakstreet ain't my cup of tea and I don't particularly care for their brand, but let their work (or lack of) speak for them.

I think it was the aprons that put it over the top for me. And they were all matching almost exactly, like a corporate job uniform.

Plus the whole event just screamed gentrification since the location they were using used to be home to a local thrift store that helped out local homeless people with clothes for job interviews and other needs all the time. That thrift store was my buddy's first job in Austin and we walked around and saw 50 dollar coffee mugs being sold and just seeing the stark contrast just struck a chord with me I guess.

But those musings probably belongs in another section of sufu...

Ah, I gotcha. As someone who used to work in non-profit in an area that also has seen gentrification I can relate. Though from what I've seen it's been mostly good and the negative I've only heard/read.

Anyway, to keep on topic. Here's my collection of boots. Whites were my first ever boots and first ever customs! Even after doing research I'm quite lucky they fit well. Whites had pretty much kept my boot itch in check so haven't really felt a need to expand my little collection. Vibergs are the newest ones. 

Left to right: crockett and jones, whites, vibergs, enzo bonafe

z5rYnB4.jpg

Fv72Txh.jpg

At least on r/goodyearwelt, it seems like most greatly prefer a boot to be stitchdown rather than good year welt (ironically...), can someone explain to me why that is?

I'd say its more about the look of the stitch down vs the goodyearwelt. Viberg also uses a more complex stitchdown method that is more difficult to perform. 

http://imgur.com/a/9iYnF

Here's viberg stitchdown vs viberg gyw. I much prefer the look of the stitchdown and think it looks much more impressive, sleek, and badass. Viberg's method also is more difficult to do with shell and some exotic leathers, which means any new viberg shell boots will more than likely be goodyearwelted 

Edit: stitchdown is also much more labour intensive than goodyearwelt, has a higher material cost (more brass nails for stitchdown in the heel vs a 360 goodyearwelt), goodyearwelt prevents more uppers failing during lasting and stitching since the machines for goodwearwelt uses less pressure across the boot to perform the welting and stitching.

Edited by karanimal

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...