Levi's Vintage Clothing

it's funny that this is the brand that pretty much every other jean maker copies in some why or another, and yet, it's like they don't exist. They could be the biggest (workwear) maker in the world, yet they chose not to for some reason.

i'm shopping around for a jacket for fall and came across this LVC canvas hunting jacket. I really love the jacket but I am not sure to pick it up because its been pre-distressed and its quite pricey (430 euro). I was hoping a non-distressed version would be released but so far it doesnt seem likely.

Also is this based on an actual vintage jacket? Seems more 'modern' than any other hunting jacket LVC has released. To buy or not to buy,...?

f_7wl4v9kkop3m_8b037d8.jpg

nice jacket but,

for me buying other stuff from lvc than denim is expensive and somehow useless because you can get way cheaper and more authentic workwear from thrift shops or brands like filson... for example this season lvc offers a striped fishermans shirt for about 100 euro, why not buying the original from armor lux or saint james!?? they are cheaper and better...

Also is this based on an actual vintage jacket? Seems more 'modern' than any other hunting jacket LVC has released.

Tough to say, but to me it wouldn't look at all out of place in the field pre-WWII, or even up through the 1960s. Don't know if it's the model or what, but it doesn't look like a very good fitting/useful garment though. Sleeves are perfect length on him, but it's too short and narrow in the body. And the chest pockets look like they're too high to be of any use. Sizing up would fix those issues, but then the sleeves would probably be at his knuckles.

i'm shopping around for a jacket for fall and came across this LVC canvas hunting jacket. I really love the jacket but I am not sure to pick it up because its been pre-distressed and its quite pricey (430 euro). I was hoping a non-distressed version would be released but so far it doesnt seem likely.

Also is this based on an actual vintage jacket? Seems more 'modern' than any other hunting jacket LVC has released. To buy or not to buy,...?

I was wondering about that too. Looks really nice. Also nice to see a company use normal looking models wearing the correct sizes.

There aren't any closeups of the jacket that show tags on that site, but I'm betting that that jacket is from the new LVC sub-line, and therefore not based on a historic Levi's garment.

If you write them and ask what the tag reads that could clear it up.

Hunting jackets really are not that comfortable to wear everyday. They have those huge game bags inside the jacket with metal hooks to hold up the weight of the game, plus the sleeves are usually short and the fabric is really thick, stiff duck.

I wouldn't recommend one as a daily jacket... They look cool, but comfort comes before coolness in my book.

I really love the jacket but I am not sure to pick it up because its been pre-distressed and its quite pricey (430 euro).

forget this thing. FILSON FILSON FILSON. the above jacket looks like a hybrid rip off of a couple filson styles.

+ tin cloth

+ not pre-distressed

+ without weird torso:arm proportions

+ filson's coat heritage gets the edge, imo

+ they're cheaper!

http://www.filson.com/mens/coats-jackets/-1011/

check the "tin cloth field jacket" and "tin cloth field coat with zipper" amongst other styles... if you like the shorter torso proportion, they've got the levi's collaboration trucker jacket and further down the "tin cloth ranch jacket" that is wool lined.

unfortunately, if you're in europe, international shipping from them is kinda ludicrous. maybe check around with some other online shops...

edit: bakershoe.com carries a fair amount of filson. not sure about their international shipping policy, but that might be a good place to check.

thanks for the advise guys. actually i had the opportunity to check the jacket in reality tonight.! I stumbled into Bellerose in Antwerp and there it was! as predicted it was rather thick and short in the torso. I still like it but I hate the pre-distressing. Canvas is frayed at the edges, some white paint splatters but the most annoying was the black smudge they smeared on the jacket. My guess it was charcoal or something because it rubbed off on my fingers. Bottom line is I wont be getting it, not for 425 euro. Perhaps if its in sale.

Filson has been another candidate for a canvas jacket. I hear they are sized big? Im usually size 36 (38 if thick lining) Will their size small do the trick? Ill try Bakershoe or Cranes.

Also been thinking about the Carhartt duck brown arctic jacket. When I was 17 (decade and a half ago)I used to wear a similar Carhartt jacket in brown duck(traditional jacket?). I wore it to pieces; asolutely loved it; how is the quality of their stuff these days?

any other recommendations for duck/canvas jackets?

I picked up some pre-washed LVC 1947 on sale back in the spring, and with reading that some of the newer 1947 models are a little bigger I was curious if what I had was the more traditional sizing of the style, or the newer model.

Here's the tag:

2ld8wgm.jpg"

I really like the fit and am thinking in the future to jump on a raw pair.

On the flip side when I bought these I had tried on another pair of (destroyed) 1947s and even sizing up a couple sizes I couldn't fit into them.

Any ideas if these are a similar fit to what the raw will fit like?

FINALLY got some 1947 after months of lurking. If I got a 32 x 36 and am trying to get them to a 30 x 34 if humanly possible a 30 x 35 how long do you guys suggest I hot soak them for? And if I wear them while soaking will that alter the fit?

Also something on my mind but unrelated, if I buy unwashed 47 rigids tts and not soak them how will they fit?

You'll get differing answers. Some people like the hourly approach, others don't. I took Paul T's sizing advice for the newer 47's so I placed an order for a 34x34 since my true waist is 33.5 and 36x34s would be way too big. I ordered my pair from Lark and they accidentally sent me a 33x34. This didn't turn out bad, as they fit as snug as my ROYs out of the package. I followed the same regimen as the ROYs (one of 3 ways Mr. Slaper suggested himself)-- about a 30-40min. hot/warm soak. Except I wore mine in the tub and around the house (and outside) for the next 4.5 hours. They fit great now. The inseam definitely will shrink, and I am sure I haven't gotten all the shrink out of them yet. Right now it's at about a 32 inseam.

Did you get them off of the link I PM'd you?

Kidclark, I don't think you can get any pair of STF jeans completely soaking wet, and only shrink an inch in the inseam. If you want a post soak LVC inseam of 35", you need to start with a size 38 inseam. I don't know that the amount of time of your soak effects things much. 30 minutes, or 4 hours, the jeans are saturated and going to shrink.

Why the fuck would you do that to them?? Ruined.

I tailored a pair of 67 505:

P1010907.JPG

This is a crappy picture, I'll take another one later... maybe.

Can't rep now, Eric, but I will

I've had discussions with some people recently, who've suggested Cone denim doesn't age in as 'interesting' a way as Japanese denim by Samurai and others. To me, that 1915 is in a completely different league, better than Sammies that cost a lot more $$$$. A beautiful, vintage look, especially with those green mid-tones, and I reckon they'll get even more interesting from here on...

Can't rep now, Eric, but I will

I got an email from a retailer recently, saying how Cone denim doesn't age in as 'interesting' a way as Japanese denim by Samurai and others. To me, that 1915 is in a completely different league, better than Sammies that cost a lot more $$$$. A beautiful, vintage look, especially with those green mid-tones, and I reckon they'll get even more interesting from here on...

thanks paul.

I totally agree about the cone fabric, they can really crank out some great fabric.

Samurai's fabric, however, is a total cartoon of what denim should be. I forked the dough for a pair of samurais once a few years ago(although the were on sale), and I'll never do it again.

I do think the fabric on my Sugar Cane 47s is really nice though. it fades pretty fast, but nothing like the samurais. they should turn out to look pretty authentic. we'll see how it compares to my LVC 47s when they have similar wear.

A lot of the SC is amazing; I would really like another pair of Edo Ai, which was far better for the money than the 1870s Levi's. But, like LVC, not everything is beyond compare. The fabric on the MF, while beautiful new, really complex, fades in a really boring, over-slubby way. If you can get SC for Japanese prices, they take a lot of beating.

As for Samurai... cartoon is a good word.