Levi's Vintage Clothing

I'm taking a big risk here (!!!!!) but the first time heard about the LVC brand was at a Levi's shop in Boston in December 1996 (LVC may have been established as a separate entity in 1998 of course) when they told me a new vintage line was being released in early 1997. This turned out to be the 3 jackets, the 3 jeans, (1955, 1962, 1937) and the western sawtooth shirt. I thought these were the first LVC branded products, all made at Valencia St. Initially all raw, then some rinsed versions appeared. I'd had a number of the Capital E jeans before that but wasn't a big fan. Some of my LVC jeans have manufacturing date of 09/96.

You could be right, I haven't checked, from memory I wrote in my book 'by 1998', as I wasn't sure if they reached retail in 97. However, on this thread, there's a catalogue printed in 96 which supports your case

I'm taking a big risk here (!!!!!) but the first time heard about the LVC brand was at a Levi's shop in Boston in December 1996 (LVC may have been established as a separate entity in 1998 of course) when they told me a new vintage line was being released in early 1997. This turned out to be the 3 jackets, the 3 jeans, (1955, 1962, 1937) and the western sawtooth shirt. I thought these were the first LVC branded products, all made at Valencia St. Initially all raw, then some rinsed versions appeared. I'd had a number of the Capital E jeans before that but wasn't a big fan. Some of my LVC jeans have manufacturing date of 09/96.

The earliest item I have from Lvc is from 06/96. They are the '37 201XX. I've seen early versions that were boxed (like the 1994 Capital E model). I also have another pair made in 09/96 (551Z) which came with a booklet.

Didn't know what the original line up was, so thanks for that info.

Imho, I preferred the early colour booklets, which had a gate-fold type opening.

cross post from the 'pint sized denim thread'

63818_435470511834_508016834_5654811_1515826_a.jpg

59863_435470806834_508016834_5654815_3257503_a.jpg

some loom chatter

I will try to post more pics later, photobucket is being difficult this week.

Dude post some bigger pics of that denim. I wanna see the "chatta."

You could be right, I haven't checked, from memory I wrote in my book 'by 1998', as I wasn't sure if they reached retail in 97. However, on this thread, there's a catalogue printed in 96 which supports your case

I am pretty positive it was from before 98 because a cousin of mine bought me some LVC jeans in 97, not quite positive what they were, but they were selvedge, didn't have a buckleback and had a button fly, pretty sure it was a leather patch (not positive though). He just knew I was into rockabilly and bought these for me for my graduation. This is back before I knew anything about denim and just wore dark denim and white t-shirts. Those things really got worn into the ground. After they were severely beaten, I looked for those type of jeans, but never could find out how to get them again. Fuck i didn't even know what to say to the people at JC Penneys. I assumed I could get them at JC Penneys, because that was where I got all my STF denim.

I am headed to the post office, Paul T's son needed these more than I do.

I'm sure he'll be happy to post some pics of the Chatta for you once he receives them though.

rf

Please rep Robbie. He has helped lift the nipper's thread to a new level, hopefully. Look out for soaking in the bath shots soon...

i think this one is really nice:

1380420108322115259656117_L.jpg

available in a darker blue too, toodeloo. see, i rhyme because lvc is poetry.

1368920108322115113309225_L.jpg

"overshirt"

1361420108322115138483_L.jpg

and

11326200974131827255194_L.jpg

i'm billing that guy in the interview later. maybe these are in their blog in like january. they might even tweet it in july 2011.

just make sure to soak the jeans,not the nipper.

Look, he posed with a clothes peg in his nose in the wayjdt thread, if he doesn't get to do his Nick Kamen imitation life won't be worth living.

roBkw0RfY-Q

(Might be cold water and laying offthe bratwurst depending on the sizing , though).

Did you rep Robbie, Markus? It will add to your digital karma.

I read through that interview with Maurizio Donaldi.

"From being a marketing driven company we are becoming a product driven company. "

LVC has always been product driven, to a fault, and never seemed to spend a dime on advertising. Is there some distinction here I'm missing?

This is revolutionary... It’s not about an advertising campaign. We have no campaign: zero advertising. We don’t need that. We are in the business of selling poetry. How can you advertise poetry? ... we are discreet, not a fashion brand. We are a space, a destination brand. We are sure people will come. This is going to become like a church. ... I have opened stores all over the world... In the future these jeans will be the next collector’s items. We are trying to give the public a very humble message
:eek:

We are trying to give the public a very humble message telling them that they have a home. If they want to come here and listen to music and hang out, they can stay. We will have events like embroidery classes, music and seminars about denim. It’s a cultural space for the brand.

Really. So I can show up with my sleeping bag and suitcase. I really wish some sufuer nearby would go in and set up camp for an extended stay and see how many embroidery classes and poetry seminars he gets to attend before he gets told to buy something or get out.

It looks to me like this guy is a perfect corporate hack, full of buzz-words and pr speak. What I get from this is that LVC is doing everything exactly the way it always has. What a waste of an interview and a corporate salary and what a lack of actual vision. Sad.

Roy, that xanax is needed about now.

Let me just say that if I had my choice between the guerrilla marketing too-cool-for-school-gotta-get-them-while-their-hot tactics of some jeans suppliers and the "product driven" mentality. I will side with product driven, but a nice list or mailer to "fans" about what is being released each season would be a definite plus.

Just read somewhere the 67 isn't going to be included in next years line. In the past when lvc didn't bring a style over to the next year was it temporary and reappear later or was it gone for good?

Just read somewhere the 67 isn't going to be included in next years line. In the past when lvc didn't bring a style over to the next year was it temporary and reappear later or was it gone for good?

Gone for good. Never to come back. Stock up now. :D

Just kidding. They come back every once in a while. Also, I think the 67 505s have been offered in some seasons and not in others already. Can anyone confirm this?

I am pretty positive it was from before 98 because a cousin of mine bought me some LVC jeans in 97, not quite positive what they were, but they were selvedge, didn't have a buckleback and had a button fly, pretty sure it was a leather patch (not positive though). He just knew I was into rockabilly and bought these for me for my graduation. This is back before I knew anything about denim and just wore dark denim and white t-shirts. Those things really got worn into the ground. After they were severely beaten, I looked for those type of jeans, but never could find out how to get them again. Fuck i didn't even know what to say to the people at JC Penneys. I assumed I could get them at JC Penneys, because that was where I got all my STF denim.

For some reason I'm a bit of a date obsessive so I remember what I was doing at any particular time. Maybe I have a touch of Asbergers......

I remember the visit to Boston Dec 1996 clearly and who I worked for at the time and a stressful meeting when I got back . I remember buying some 551Zxx from Levis Regent Sreet in London in March 1997 (my wife and I had a weekend break in London) and then buying some over the phone in April 1997 from a shop in Haight St San Fransisco and the guy biking them over to a colleague of mine on a training course there and him bringing them back to the UK for me. The ones I bought mail order direct from Levis were in September 1997 when we went to stay with a friend in Denver and they left the package on her doorstep without signature and she said we were lucky they were still there........ so tbh i'm sure the LVC line were manufactured starting Summer 1996 and went on sale very late 1996 and more widely available early 1997.

Actually, let me stick my neck out and say I'm absolutely certain of these facts!

Thanks Paul. The store in Regent St used to sell these in 1997 with the booklet and a cardboard box, one of which I think I still have, to justify the £200 price tag......

From the marketing and media stuff I see it looks like Levi is trying to turn the brand around from being just another mis-managed historical brand to something like what we here on this thread know it should be.

That won't be easy. I give them a lot of credit for trying.

Having said that, the web site is a total cluster fcuk. Just shameful. It is crazy that there is no web site you can go to see and buy the entire line. Maybe I should start a web company to do that.

I don't personally care how they market LVC UNLESS if marketing and getting sales going would lower prices. I have a brand new pair of Roy's I'm getting ready to break in and my 1.5 year old LVC '47s are fricking awesome at this point so I'm in no rush to spend $250 on a pair of LVC and the idea of having to pay that really squashes my excitement over getting another pair.

^ Ha, maybe not. I'm not shocked really, just disappointed that it seems like there will just be more poor management of the brand, especially given that they are more on there own now and apparently have to pay their own way- so if they don't do well, they could cease to exist.

It really sucks because I love their products, and the design teams have always been so good. I wish they'd get some level-headed and practical assistance from higher up. Now they have that coconut head and his woowoo Japanese Levi's Cult center.

Since there's so much church-related energy going on for LVC now, I think I'll just say a little prayer about him.

Xanax please, nurse.