Levi's Vintage Clothing

Were all the rivets flat-topped from the 20s? I thought there were photos of originals on this thread showing the round-topped rivets... maybe on the 201.

I know I've seen round-topped rivets on 1933-era jeans - do we have any photos of originals from the 10s or 20s?

I think by the 1901s Levis had switch to round rivets. It was about then I think?

I have a pair of last years 1873s with natural indigo and the leather patch has an obvious flaw(Secured Letters patented May 20, 1873. Renewed March 16, 1875) and it has round rivets and a double stitching on the yoke. Great jeans but an abvious mistake. And a few years ago LVC had a double needle arcuate on the 20s 201.

I have seen pics of flat top rivets on 501xx's from the early to mid 1920's, which also have the same fly buttons used on the earliest 501 from 1890!

I think IMHO that they changed the rivet around the same time that the redline selvedge appeared. Lynn Downey would be the person to ask, although I have had some vague replies to various questions in the past.

I guess it's not always possible to nail down an exact year with things like rivet changes, especially when there are so many crossover periods with details and hardware.

saw some mij levis 55 501 should i buy or no?

Yes, Buy Buy Buy. Don't think twice. Fork over the cash and Buy Buy Buy.

Guest jbone45
Yes, Buy Buy Buy. Don't think twice. Fork over the cash and Buy Buy Buy.

Yeah definitely buy them Demonito. Add them to your "collection" of work wear that you don't even wear.

dunno, but i had a visit to our berlin flagshipt store, and was delighted by a perfect reproduction of 1971 517 with red tab!!! allthough these were part of the "products with roots collection"... and on the net I saw a pair of weired 1901s with red tabt, also part of this collection... unfortunately the 517s were prewashed, hope for raw version to come...

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=320403967720

dunno, but i had a visit to our berlin flagshipt store, and was delighted by a perfect reproduction of 1971 517 with red tab!!! allthough these were part of the "products with roots collection"... and on the net I saw a pair of weired 1901s with red tabt, also part of this collection... unfortunately the 517s were prewashed, hope for raw version to come...

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=320403967720

yeah i've seen those 1901 red tabs here in the local levis store as well. I was excited to finally see another LVC model, besides the 47, 55 and 20?, but it was this red tab version, 'inspired' on the original. Didnt look too bad but no selvage...

Thanks for posting, these have been linked before - but the search thread tool ain't working so I can't find it.

It's great to have them in raw, altho some of the details are off; printing on the linen patch is lousy, and the patch seems to be in the wrong place.

My broadband is slow, but these look to have the round-topped rivets.

They also do a 1922 501xx on that website. They did do a raw version two years ago, and I wish they did a raw version of the 22 here.

Mind you, looking at the 22, the waistband has the correct 'drop-stitched' waistband, like the earlier models (1873-1901) which leaves me with doubts about the correct details on the waistband on the current 1917 model.

A bit of a stickler for certain details....

Wish Paul was here to continue the discussion on the waistband 'changeover' period.