Levi's Vintage Clothing

You say 'levis vintage clothing' again.

What's it called now? Collection? Or do I missunderstand you?

Yes, you misunderstand me. When the Levi's replica line first appeared in 1996, it was called - LEVIS VINTAGE CLOTHING.

Like everything else in life, it became shortened to the byword: 'LVC' - I think this was the same time the factories first changed production (around 2002/3). That's how pretty much everyone refers to it now.

I think from what I've read they cut to trim. I've never owned a pair. I hear the early 555 ones are pretty nice. Maybe Dr H could expand on this.

The 555 stamped model is the 551ZXX model from 1963-4. The finish on the denim IMO is outstanding, although some people have commented on its authenticity to the original model. The cut is trim, but not as trim on the thighs as the '47, and not as trim on the calves as the '66. And the denim has had the 686 process, making it easier to 'buy your exact size'. I'll try and get some photos done soon of mine.

They're the slimmest of all the Levis pieces that I have.

Overall I think they are a great jean, apart from the fiddly zip (mine is not a talon, unlike rnrswitch's) and the wrong patch.

Guest jbone45
How do especially vintage jenas get those characteristic fades on the out-seam? I mean, what's the process behind that? Is it from wearing them tight (while sitting) and pressing the selvage-edge against the denim?

You ask the most ridiculous questions, man. They're jeans, just wear them.

How do especially vintage jenas get those characteristic fades on the out-seam? I mean, what's the process behind that? Is it from wearing them tight (while sitting) and pressing the selvage-edge against the denim?

i agree with jobone45, but i will tell you that if you make sure that the selvedge is flat by ironing it if necessary (especially after washing) it will make a more distinct fade (called train tracks around here.)

if the selvedge is flat then it doesn't need ironing, obviously.

Dude, just wear your goddamn jeans.

You want great fades keep'm out of the water as much as possible. Wait as long as you can for the soak and wait as long as you can between until the fades are well set and that can take 6 month to a year of almost constant wear.

LVC is set to return to the US for the Spring 2010 season.

thank god the levi's store in raleigh just closed so now it wont even matter for me. Or maybe i can get them from the online store so i can try em on...shipping back to cultizm would be expensive and I haven't had to do it yet.

Since LVC apparently will sell again to the N. American market, here are some tips for improving service:

Manufacture a replica as close to the original as possible with what you have to work with and market the product by indicating how the item is made and with what materials vs the original. In other words, explain each product's ingredients, manufacturing process, denim characteristics, where the denim is made, where the jeans are made, etc. and how it differs from the original so that customers know exactly what they're paying $200 - $500+ for. A customer (new or otherwise) should not have to spend hours searching through hundreds of conflicting opinions to get information about LVC jeans on internet blogs. It is LS&Co's responsibility to provide their customers with everything they need to know about their product, if questions remain then Levi's is not doing their job.

Train employees in LVC product knowledge. Customers will not likely buy something after they call cust. service and are told, "...LVC, yo dude, what's that? Hey, we've got some killer match sticks, ipods and carrots tho..." Then be transferred to 4-5 different departments before finally getting cut off without an answer.

Don't jack your customers around with misleading and false information. Customers lose patience when cust. service or the online store consistently provides the wrong weight, country of origin and wrong model year. Furthermore, the use of ambiguous terms that are suppose to descibe a denim finish like "rigid", "raw", "dry" and "deadstock" mean nothing and confuse or disappoint customers when the finish is the same regardless of what it's called.

I think if LVC USA improves in these areas, they might do a better job selling their jeans in N. America.

I think if LVC USA improves in these areas, they might do a better job selling their jeans in N. America.

if they actually tried to market LVC they'd probably sell better.

also, I don't think your wishes are going to come true. you might get actual information about weight and such but I dont think they're ever gonna come right out and tell you how they're different from originals. Thats like messing up on a research paper in grade school and telling your teacher every part thats wrong with it. They should just get it right from the get go (except for legit things like using synthetic indigo vs. natural on an 1890 jean. thats just to make them affordable)

Nice rnr.

I have two pairs of 551Z, My current wearers are from 06/96 and the other NOS pair from 10/97, and they're both plain and small.

What month/year are your 551Z's from? Got any pics?

I bought a 98 valencia 551Z recently off ebay, will post some pics! Suckers are fading pretty fast already

Nice. Will try and get some pics of mine done, plus still got a couple of comparisons still to do (1873/1900 duck..etc) and anything else I can think of.

I will be without internet access from next weekend, for about a month (moving house) so will probably be good to give you guys a break from my 'ramblings'. Will have to borrow someones' computer so that I can check up on the A/W '09 collection and those sweet 1915's.

I think they should also focus on raw/rigid/deadstock versions of all pieces and quit focusing on destroying the clothing before customers get to wear them. I can see maybe doing this for some limited-edition pair of jeans, but I don't think too many people want to pay $200+ for a shirt or pair of pants that are filled with holes.

This could help keep costs down too.

also, I don't think your wishes are going to come true. you might get actual information about weight and such but I dont think they're ever gonna come right out and tell you how they're different from originals. Thats like messing up on a research paper in grade school and telling your teacher every part thats wrong with it. They should just get it right from the get go (except for legit things like using synthetic indigo vs. natural on an 1890 jean. thats just to make them affordable)

I think they should also focus on raw/rigid/deadstock versions of all pieces and quit focusing on destroying the clothing before customers get to wear them. I can see maybe doing this for some limited-edition pair of jeans, but I don't think too many people want to pay $200+ for a shirt or pair of pants that are filled with holes.

This could help keep costs down too.

+++++++1 for raw...

I don't think the LVC shirts get enough credit. I have a couple: bunkhouse shirt in raw, 1950s plaid flannel board shirt, and now I have the blue striped sunset shirt coming my way. Anybody else have any of the nice LVC shirts?

Guest jbone45
I don't think the LVC shirts get enough credit. I have a couple: bunkhouse shirt in raw, 1950s plaid flannel board shirt, and now I have the blue striped sunset shirt coming my way. Anybody else have any of the nice LVC shirts?

I have a 1950's De-Luxe flannel that I bought from someone on SuFu. It's a pretty nice shirt. I agree, the LVC shirts I have seen are pretty nice.

Those aren't necessarily my personal wishes, they're just suggestions that I think Levi's can use to help new customers better understand their LVC line. When I first learned of lvc a couple of years ago, I was totally in the dark. The LVC booklet that came with my 1st lvc purchase of a pair of $501 1873s didn't explain crap, and I was like what the hell did I just spend $501 for? The only source of info I found was SUFU and other internet blogs, whre I read a series of debates about whether they are natural indigo, if the denim was Japanese, etc. Being skeptical about info found on internet blogs I got very frustrated and almost said screw LVC, but I stuck with it and learn who to listen to on these blogs and ended up with some very cool LVC jeans that I would've otherwise passed up. So I guess the point of that post is that if Levi's doesn't provide info about their high-end products, they;re going to likely lose new customers like they almost lost me. After all, not every new lvc customer is going to be aware of SUFU and the likes of PaulT, Airfrog, Doc Heech and others to guide them through all of the complexities of the LVC product line. JMHO. Anyway, moving on..........

Yeah...I have the Sunset shirt you speak of, as well as the "worn" bunkhouse shirt; I also have a flannel "Long Horn" western shirt and a few of the t's and sweatshirts.

Thanks for the fotos Airfrog, those '17s are looking nicer every time you post an update. You're old school method of wearing without wash definitely has its rewards. I especially dig the thigh wear -- very authentic working man jeans look. My '37 555 are coming up on 6 months w/out wash. Although not as nice as your '17s, theyre looking pretty decent. Will post pics soon...

Wait, you purchased a pair of jeans for $500 and didn't have a clue as to what you bought?

Thanks for the fotos Airfrog, those '17s are looking nicer every time you post an update. You're old school method of wearing without wash definitely has its rewards. I especially dig the thigh wear -- very authentic working man jeans look. My '37 555 are coming up on 6 months w/out wash. Although not as nice as your '17s, theyre looking pretty decent. Will post pics soon...

Yeah those 37 201s don't wear as fast as some others. I really like the denin on those. Can't wait to see some photos. I've been living the the 17s for the past almost 6 months,

Thanks for the rep. These are coming along very nice. Just had a cold soak first in almost 6 months. Great whiskers and some combs not killer ones though (to baggy) I'll post photos again in another few months.

AF,

That's some lovely wear you got going with those 17's. You'll have to match the 1915's with same wear and soaking timetable, and then compare the two. Would give +rep but cant.