Levi's Vintage Clothing

...long time listener, first time caller... :)

My lvc 1955 501s are 'Made in Turkey'...guess I was expecting it to be USA?!

But do they still use Cone xx denim, or will it be something else? Seems strange to make them in Turkey out of imported denim?

They still seem really good quality, just wondering really.

If you look on the LVC guide, it will tell you that post 1933 501 models, washed or rigid, all use Cone denim.

Some of the earlier washed versions used Italian fabric for a couple of years but they've gone back to Cone.

Recently LVC Japan have started using Kaihara sanforized denim for some of their washed jeans - it's so they can minimise movement of wear lines etc after washing. I think they add a kind of reverse skew on these, to give leg twist! There's a post by ringring somewhere giving more info.

So he may have had some long wearing-periods?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joi/522234647/

i'm not trying to be a jerk, but do you have some sort of "thing" for steve jobs?

AFAIK, he doesn't wear LVC, the jeans he is pictured wearing are likely pre-washed models or maybe normal STF.

Just so you know, manufacturers put "made in" for the LAST country that a product was worked on. So if the denim is manufactured at cone, then shipped to china, where the jeans are assembled, then the completed jeans shipped to Turkey for distressing, then the product is "made in turkey"

:)

Just so you know, manufacturers put "made in" for the LAST country that a product was worked on. So if the denim is manufactured at cone, then shipped to china, where the jeans are assembled, then the completed jeans shipped to Turkey for distressing, then the product is "made in turkey"

Interesting.

Are you suggesting that LVC actually uses Chinese factories for assembly on the washed/distressed models, beyond the finish jobs in Turkey?

I'd never heard that but I suppose it wouldn't entirely surprise me.

Though you'd think the freight costs of multiple shipments to multiple countries would have a more substantial impact on profit margin than the money saved using cheaper labor.

i'm not trying to be a jerk, but do you have some sort of "thing" for steve jobs?

AFAIK, he doesn't wear LVC, the jeans he is pictured wearing are likely pre-washed models or maybe normal STF.

nothing special, but i work at an apple magazine and so i know al the events and so on. and I am pretty shure that these are 55s he's wearing in the pic. 2005 he started wearing them and the last time he wore them was sept. 07. now he's wearing a '47. I wasn't really interested in denim before, just wore the usual levis 501. then I found LVC and recognized that Steve's jeans must be STFs and LVC. if you look at pictures of him from the end of 2005 to end of 2007 you'll see how his jeans develop. (his 47s he is wearing for nearly 2 yrs now)

These are 47s at jan. 08. in mit june they were a lot more bright.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/farber/2195606441/sizes/o/

Just look at pics from macworld 2006 and 2007. same pair of jeans just a lot more distressed.

this sounds very freaky but i recognized it over time. i am new to lvc ( 3 months or so) and the last 4 weeks i looked at pictures of jobs a little bit different than before

nothing special, but i work at an apple magazine and so i know al the events and so on. and I am pretty shure that these are 55s he's wearing in the pic. 2005 he started wearing them and the last time he wore them was sept. 07. now he's wearing a '47. I wasn't really interested in denim before, just wore the usual levis 501. then I found LVC and recognized that Steve's jeans must be STFs and LVC. if you look at pictures of him from the end of 2005 to end of 2007 you'll see how his jeans develop. (his 47s he is wearing for nearly 2 yrs now)

These are 47s at jan. 08. in mit june they were a lot more bright.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/farber/2195606441/sizes/o/

Just look at pics from macworld 2006 and 2007. same pair of jeans just a lot more distressed.

this sounds very freaky but i recognized it over time. i am new to lvc ( 3 months or so) and the last 4 weeks i looked at pictures of jobs a little bit different than before

ok, sorry if i am wrong about jobs' choice in jeans. he obviously doesn't take the typical SUFU approach to washing/fading.

i would like to know why you think he is wearing LVC, from the last pic you posted i can't even tell if the patch is paper or leather.

if they are LVC, how can you tell that one is a '47 and one is a '55?

I couldn't find the pic I searched for but there you could see the arcuate in the typicall, not really symetric shape of the 47s. if you watch vids of the wwdc 08 you also see the leg twist (or look for pics). and, yes, it is leather and very squarish unlike other levis.

the 55s i can tell from a picture of 2005. i think he introduced the ipod nano and then one could see the leather-like patch of the 55s. also the arcuate was "correct".

also the "belt-holders" are something you can tell the difference from. the 55 with the small one and the 47 bith a wide, thick one.

well, you've asked. no one should say, I am crazy xD

EDIT: Here a picture of the same jeans as in a posting before. nearly without fading. This must be a '55.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cdernbach/84970509/sizes/l/in/set-1814491/

dr heech ,i dont really understand the fall winter lvc look book, and where does the donkey jacket fit in? i thought it was a genuine uk work jacket?

Yeah, I know what you mean. The jacket is similar to the donkey jacket that the council used to have before Hi-Viz.

To be honest Fardin, I haven't understood Lvc at all much recently..

Look at those close up photos of the 'heath' jean though!

The lvc 1927 jean is based on that jean, but the lvc version is lacking the top row of stitching on the outside of the pockets. Also, the fly buttons are different - plain - similar to the earliest button fly c.1890. Those are the details that lvc should be paying attention to, rather than Us lot.

Why does this pair come up on the auction block so frequently?

I think I've seen them bought and sold on ebay at least 3 times in the last couple years.

You'd think that anyone that was both a.) in a financial position to justify the purchase and b.) interested enough to do so would keep them as a prized possession for a very long time.

Thanks for the replies.

And that's interesting about the 'Made in _____' referring to the last country to add work to a garment - you'd have thought they'd make more of an issue of the denim being from good ol' USA for authenticity/marketing reasons?

As it is, one might (as I did) assume that the denim for these lvc will likely have come froma more anonymous and possibly inferior cotton mill in Turkey?

And as for transporting denim to China for distressing, then to Turkey for finishing - the cost of moving freight by container ship is incrediby cheap and is probably far outweighed by savings on labour costs - should be outlawed in my opinion, given the high costs of the final product!

Thanks for the replies.

And that's interesting about the 'Made in _____' referring to the last country to add work to a garment - you'd have thought they'd make more of an issue of the denim being from good ol' USA for authenticity/marketing reasons?

As it is, one might (as I did) assume that the denim for these lvc will likely have come froma more anonymous and possibly inferior cotton mill in Turkey?

And as for transporting denim to China for distressing, then to Turkey for finishing - the cost of moving freight by container ship is incrediby cheap and is probably far outweighed by savings on labour costs - should be outlawed in my opinion, given the high costs of the final product!

No.

Can we criticise LVC for what they've really fucked up - the kind of details DR Heech mentioned - and not fantasise?

LVC denim for the US and Europe comes from Cone, as mentioned. Not Turkey. THey make a big deal of it, and it is mentioned in all their catalogues. THe dry jeans are still made in the US. LVC are made in too small quantities to bother shipping them out to China, and anyone who has any involvement with them will know their schedules would not allow the time for this.

There are many issues around distressing, It's hugely polluting, and wasteful, to make jeans with indigo, then sand and wash most of it away. It's probably done in TUrkey because they have lower environmental standards. You might want to slag off Levi's for this, not fantasise about where they are manufactured.

blm was winding you guys up.

No.

Can we criticise LVC for what they've really fucked up - the kind of details DR Heech mentioned - and not fantasise?

LVC denim for the US and Europe comes from Cone, as mentioned. Not Turkey. THey make a big deal of it, and it is mentioned in all their catalogues. THe dry jeans are still made in the US. LVC are made in too small quantities to bother shipping them out to China, and anyone who has any involvement with them will know their schedules would not allow the time for this.

There are many issues around distressing, It's hugely polluting, and wasteful, to make jeans with indigo, then sand and wash most of it away. It's probably done in TUrkey because they have lower environmental standards. You might want to slag off Levi's for this, not fantasise about where they are manufactured.

blm was winding you guys up.

Ah, ok. Didn't realise I was having my leg pulled there?!

And I understand that they make a big deal of it in catalogues etc, but I was referring really to the labels in the jeans themselves - easy to have something like 'Made in Turkey from Cone Denim', or something.

And no fantasies - all I wondered originally is why 'Made in Turkey'?

If LVC is such small batch production, why ship Cone all the way to Turkey for jean manufacture? And these are broken raw - practically the same as one wash as far as I can see, so no hard washing here. ;)

Yeah, I know what you mean. The jacket is similar to the donkey jacket that the council used to have before Hi-Viz.

To be honest Fardin, I haven't understood Lvc at all much recently..

Look at those close up photos of the 'heath' jean though!

The lvc 1927 jean is based on that jean, but the lvc version is lacking the top row of stitching on the outside of the pockets. Also, the fly buttons are different - plain - similar to the earliest button fly c.1890. Those are the details that lvc should be paying attention to, rather than Us lot.

I agree. They should get their act together with the buckles the right stitching on all the years they reproduce as well as the right buttons, rivets and leather patches. They have bits and pieces right but on very few does it all come together on one repro. Denim, stitching, patches, rivets and stitching.

I agree. They should get their act together with the buckles the right stitching on all the years they reproduce as well as the right buttons, rivets and leather patches. They have bits and pieces right but on very few does it all come together on one repro. Denim, stitching, patches, rivets and stitching.

You would have thought at least one person, in the quality control dept. at Lvc, would have at least half the enthusiasm of one of Us, which would be enough to say "woah, hold it, that's the wrong rivets your using or patch or button-fly..etc. Getting the product RIGHT before it goes out for sale should be kinda a priority, dont you think?

I was speaking to Will at Aero some seasons back, He told me that all the 55's for that season were 4" longer on the leg, so he had to put this discrepancy on the website to inform customers. Suffice to say not many were sold. I mean, why didnt Lvc, at any stage, see the problem and rectify it? Or do a recall? Lvc should be proud of their heritage, and build on it, especially in these fiscally challenging times. But no..

1901's with the non-two horse patch..

201's with double needle arcs..

1927's with wrong fly buttons and no back pocket stitch..

the list goes on..

I mean .. COME ON GUYS! You have the garments right there in the vault! Study them a bit longer. Share the information. Get the product right!

A replica of an original should be just that, rather than just an allusion to it. Concentrate!

Personally, I prefer the raw stuff as I never really understood the appeal of pre-distressed denim. Also, there always seem to be one or two non-denim pieces each season that are really great.

Let's be happy that they're still making them :D.

What do you think is selling best in the lv collection: the prewashed, distressed stuff or raw stuff?

Personally, I prefer the raw stuff as I never really understood the appeal of pre-distressed denim. Also, there always seem to be one or two non-denim pieces each season that are really great.

Yeh I reckon the Raw's. I have a couple of the washes, they do some fairly authentic looking ones. I also have a 40s leather bomber jacket which is great, definitely one of my favourite pieces.

You would have thought at least one person, in the quality control dept. at Lvc, would have at least half the enthusiasm of one of Us, which would be enough to say "woah, hold it, that's the wrong rivets your using or patch or button-fly..etc. Getting the product RIGHT before it goes out for sale should be kinda a priority, dont you think?

I was speaking to Will at Aero some seasons back, He told me that all the 55's for that season were 4" longer on the leg, so he had to put this discrepancy on the website to inform customers. Suffice to say not many were sold. I mean, why didnt Lvc, at any stage, see the problem and rectify it? Or do a recall? Lvc should be proud of their heritage, and build on it, especially in these fiscally challenging times. But no..

1901's with the non-two horse patch..

201's with double needle arcs..

1927's with wrong fly buttons and no back pocket stitch..

the list goes on..

I mean .. COME ON GUYS! You have the garments right there in the vault! Study them a bit longer. Share the information. Get the product right!

A replica of an original should be just that, rather than just an allusion to it. Concentrate!

And when the really try they can get things right. The 1955s are really good repros as are the 200 and 300 series. My 333s are some of my favs and are good repros. The denim on those is as good as it gets as is the denim on my 209 coveralls and my 555 20 201s. So they can get things right. Maybe if Lynn Downey were more involved in making sure the production is right, I donno but the 1915s are looking very nice from what I've seen.

And when the really try they can get things right. The 1955s are really good repros as are the 200 and 300 series. My 333s are some of my favs and are good repros. The denim on those is as good as it gets as is the denim on my 209 coveralls and my 555 20 201s. So they can get things right. Maybe if Lynn Downey were more involved in making sure the production is right, I donno but the 1915s are looking very nice from what I've seen.

Have you seen the 1954 501Z? Everyone praises the accuracy of the '55, just wondered what opinions were on the '54.