Freewheelers, Bootleggers Reunion, Bubo, etc.

rnrswitch

My wife and I visited Japan recently and made our way to Hoosiers while in Kyoto. Those who have purchased items from Seiichiro in the past already know this, but he and his apprentice, Hinata, are absolute gems of human beings. They went above and beyond to welcome us to the store and get me fitted for some Freewheelers denim. It was cool to hear stories about the Japanese denim world from someone with insider knowledge. Plus, Seiichiro and Hinata are a great hang. Best dudes. One of the highlights of our trip. I highly recommend a visit when you're in Kyoto.

I read somewhere in on this website that a certain person in Japan is fixing up people with FW care packages so I decided to try it out 😉 

I already got a few items like the 1951 601xx and was very impressed so far. The thing I was missing in my closet were some nice flannels. I got the Skid Row in two different fabrics and the Jenkins shirt as well. And all I can say is, wow. These shirts are unlike anything I have ever owned. It is very hard to describe what’s so special about FW items and why I like them so much but I’ll try.

I guess they almost feel like they’re one of a kind handmade items. The fabrics, hardware, stitching, patterns and construction are so nice. Nice, but not perfect and that is just the key to make them feel so special. The patterns are a little quirky and somehow seem like real vintage. Cut for purpose, not for fashion. I don’t want perfectly aligned pockets, the cleanest sewing or the strongest thread construction.   

The stitching on these shirts is a 100% cotton as opposed to many other repro brands which use core spun or polyester threads. This is a big plus for me. They will age along with the cotton fabric and get that faded, worn look like on vintage garments. I actually prefer them to break in the long run so I can repair them 😁 I searched a long time for this and happy to have finally found it.

Apart from this I just want to say that Seiichiro is an absolute wonderful person who has helped me a lot with explaining about the items and garment construction and fabrics in general. Great guy.

I’ll try and get some pics up this weekend of the shirts when I’m at home during daylight 🙂 

Edited by mstax

Had a sweet little package arrive a couple weeks ago.  Love the sweat,  just like @broark this was my first fw mid weight sweat.   It’s got just enough heft but fits so well under my outerwear especially couple of my type 1’s.  The printing is killer too can’t wait for it to crack.

5940683B-3175-4168-AF46-C5449B3C8BA7.jpeg

18B320C0-39A6-4B8D-AC87-96400F4B6706.jpeg

Edited by Cozzie
Miss spellings

On 11/14/2023 at 8:03 PM, mstax said:

Seiichiro is an absolute wonderful person who has helped me a lot 

For he's a jolly good fellow, and so say all of us... and so say all of us...

That FW legend Duke Mantee was spot on with our man in Japan

Nice package arrived today courtesy of our man at Hoosier... 

I already have the Ironalls in size 17 but it's a touch too snug for my liking, so it's hardly worn (3/4 times tops).

They sold out quick so I never thought I'd find a 17.5... but here we have it... hence the size 17 is up for sale... if anyone is interested DM me

The Heaver work shirt is nice and heavy... great fabric, particularly 'warm' on the inside of the fabric

20231120 Freewheelers Heaver and Ironalls.jpeg

Edited by MJF9

On 11/19/2023 at 7:33 AM, shredwin_206 said:

IMG_0988.thumb.jpeg.2b6246be01bb35597a6847063ccb0cca.jpegIMG_0989.thumb.jpeg.0b456381ec61bd41af68d4b9868863c2.jpegIMG_0993.thumb.jpeg.6029ec62652782b1422efb8a3e070c30.jpegIMG_0991.thumb.jpeg.b579067bda19fc9c28d88d6302c17166.jpegIMG_0992.thumb.jpeg.ef65a2ee4243699f8108282dd11e6ae3.jpegIMG_0994.thumb.jpeg.49fcb4cd9ddfc47bb4ee2f175a259b9c.jpeg

1937 photo dump. Really love how this denim has aged. Also interesting to see how the rivets patina in the areas they encounter sweat a lot. 

The back pockets are the best part of the 37s I think. I think they are all uneven on purpose. More so than any of the other models.