Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

I was disappointed when Clarks shifted all manufacturing overseas (and, par for the course, began using the term "ORIGINALS") but they are still a comfortable, long-lasting shoe.  About a year into a pair of the sand suede and they show no signs of giving up.  Really liking the look of the beeswax and will probably go that route if I ever pick up another pair.

Edited by HGS

Hey, I'm needing suggestions. I'm looking for some new boots that are black and can take a good shine. A bit dressier - less vintage. I found something close to what I'm looking for from RL but their prices are ridiculous for the quality and I think I can find something better for less money from a company that specializes in shoes/boots. Any suggestions. I've included a photo showing the RL boots.

Thanks.

rlboots.jpg

Zuriick William Black. Love mine!

I was disappointed when Clarks shifted all manufacturing overseas (and, par for the course, began using the term "ORIGINALS") 

that and the fact that they're $130 now. not worth it imo. for a little more you can just get some red wing chukkas that are miles better.

I was disappointed when Clarks shifted all manufacturing overseas (and, par for the course, began using the term "ORIGINALS") but they are still a comfortable, long-lasting shoe.  About a year into a pair of the sand suede and they show no signs of giving up.  Really liking the look of the beeswax and will probably go that route if I ever pick up another pair.

aprrox what year did this take place?

Clarks are now made in Thailand or Vietnam. I bought a pair of Wallabees in 2002 that were made in Portugal I think. I've no idea when they last made any footwear here in England or if they still do for any specific ranges, special editions, etc.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

for anyone on the hunt for a pair of desert boots I whole heartedly reccomend Astorflex.

the quality of leather and crepe sole they use is much better than Clark's originals. and they're also slighty less expensive. made in Italy, italian leathers.

here some infos in English

http://after-the-denim.blogspot.it/2013/03/astorflex-desert-boots.html

Clarks are now made in Thailand or Vietnam. I bought a pair of Wallabees in 2002 that were made in Portugal I think. I've no idea when they last made any footwear here in England or if they still do for any specific ranges, special editions, etc.

I have a pair stored away from god knows what year, would be interesting to see.

250 GBP for a pair of clarks desert boots takes the piss. They are the same last and materials, only the colour is different to normal models.

The wallabees are half the price of a pair of redwing chukkas by the way.

Where are u from mate?

There's a couple shops in UK selling them.

Many shops in Italy have them of course and it was also possible to buy direct from Astorflex, but not now as far as I can see.

Their website looks to be in Italian only, for your fine understanding!

Here's the uk shop

http://thehipstore.co.uk/collections/astorflex

Pity it doesn't stock the better models which are the not suede ones!

I am replying from an iPhone now let me check out some Italian websites the first time I have access to a laptop (possibly on Monday!)

Nah, need something different. They have been less then stellar from me. They're practically slicks and I haven't even had them for a year. But may be the name of the game since I wear my boots 5 days a week pretty hard.

might want to look into the vibram 100.  its a chunkier version of the middle portion of the 430.  

Ill add that I dont think the 430 is intended for heavy duty work.  Its more of a light duty, even casual sole.  I know guys who have to get their boots resoled every 7-8 months so getting a year out of yours might actually be ok.  I know you are hard on your stuff though, haha

Edited by garden gnomes in space

might want to look into the vibram 100.  its a chunkier version of the middle portion of the 430.  

Ill add that I dont think the 430 is intended for heavy duty work.  Its more of a light duty, even casual sole.  I know guys who have to get their boots resoled every 7-8 months so getting a year out of yours might actually be ok.  I know you are hard on your stuff though, haha

I was thinking that, but I thought it just looked over kill and too heavy. Since these are my first pair of good quality boots I wasn't too sure to be honest. But to hear others are around the same time as me does make me feel a bit better. 

Regarding the soles, I was going back and forth initially, but Kyle said the 430 would be good for the weather/work I was in.

Is there any other soles out there that are worth a look at that I could get down through Whites or do they just do Vibram? Only really interested in sending them back there so I can get them nice and cleaned up as well, unless others offer that service with re soling. 

Pretty overcast today, so not the best pictures.

d50mlRh.jpg

Such a shame, they were so nice when I first got them.

ZV62BJD.jpgGSFmNuD.jpgGCE0L1T.jpgE2qNEzI.jpgI4VTN8T.jpg?1

Edited by bradl

Yeah I hope so. Not sure if the vamp is even going to be able to be cleaned up at this point. Been scrubbed with xylene so many times, I am sure the leather has suffered greatly from it.

bradl you may want to have White's re-craft them. The shafts look pretty good still, or at least like they could be used for another season or so, and the re-craft takes care of a resole and new vamps and heel counters.

They may even have a suggestion for a leather option that can take the beating you are going to give them with a better ability to shine up after abuse.

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...