The Flat Head

LFC4ever

So do I have this right, I'm a 42 in TFH T's so would go for a 42 in TFH shirts? Unless I buy a WR version which would be consistent with western sizes were I'm a 39/40?

It really depends on the shirt. I'm a 42 in THC T shirts and normally a 42 in shirts. However, in the 7002w and houndstooth flannels (2013) I'm a 44. Both use unsanforized fabrics which were then one washed and shrank more than expected. However, In the HN-52w flannels made in 2014 I'm a comfortable 40.

Edited by Danny @ Rivet & Hide

BTW: is it true, that the 16 oz denim shrinks less than the 14,5 oz? If so, how much shrinkage and stretch can I expect?

Yes, and a little more stretchy too. It will only shrink 2" in length. Some people report 2.5" but I've yet to see that.

The waist will stretch back to raw measurements.

Edited by Danny @ Rivet & Hide

I'm a tight 40 in the t shirts, a simple "W" 40 in their old shirts, and a "WR" 40 in every shirt I've bought since they they started introducing the WR regularly.

Also for anyone who has the HNW-52W, even though it's a western it's super generously cut, just like the old workshirts. On other other hand, I tried on the HN-73W at self edge and in a 40 it fit but was way tight, way way tighter than the 52W. Also, every other western I've tried was way tighter than the 52w.

I can post up pics if it'll help anyone...

Edited by itsbenhere

I'm a tight 40 in the t shirts, a simple "W" 40 in their old shirts, and a "WR" 40 in every shirt I've bought since they they started introducing the WR regularly.

Also for anyone who has the HN-52W, even though it's a western it's super generously cut, just like the old workshirts. On other other hand, I tried on the HN-73W at self edge and in a 40 it fit but was way tight, way way tighter than the 52W. Also, every other western I've tried was way tighter than the 52w.

I can post up pics if it'll help anyone...

Wait I'm a bit confused.  The HN-52W is the heavy winter workshirt and the HNW-52W is the heavy winter western shirt.  Or do you consider the HN-52W western as well?

• 2 weeks later...

I wish god damn Flat Head would fix the English on their shirts.

Just look at the text on this gem:

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/2nd/item/fh-thla-10w-drd/

"Glory Parties"? SERIOUSLY? I know for a fact that if I wore that shirt (as an American) I would have several friends that would bust my balls about what the hell that means. If you asked somebody what a "glory party" is, they would tell you that they don't know and it's probably sexual.

It just makes me cringe that a brand so heavily inspired by classic America can release tees with text that doesn't even make sense here.

I wish god damn Flat Head would fix the English on their shirts.

Just look at the text on this gem:

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/2nd/item/fh-thla-10w-drd/

"Glory Parties"? SERIOUSLY? I know for a fact that if I wore that shirt (as an American) I would have several friends that would bust my balls about what the hell that means. If you asked somebody what a "glory party" is, they would tell you that they don't know and it's probably sexual.

It just makes me cringe that a brand so heavily inspired by classic America can release tees with text that doesn't even make sense here.

If you've never been to a Glory Party you've not lived

I wish god damn Flat Head would fix the English on their shirts.Just look at the text on this gem:http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/2nd/item/fh-thla-10w-drd/"Glory Parties"? SERIOUSLY? I know for a fact that if I wore that shirt (as an American) I would have several friends that would bust my balls about what the hell that means. If you asked somebody what a "glory party" is, they would tell you that they don't know and it's probably sexual.It just makes me cringe that a brand so heavily inspired by classic America can release tees with text that doesn't even make sense here.

I recall a studio d'artisan tee with the print "I've got the crabs" lol

Aside from the quality of the material used, the text is what makes them distinct/unique, but some I wouldn't wear in the [english-speaking] western world

I'd snag a "No Ragrets" [ref: "We're The Millers"] biker tee in a heartbeat, tho :) ... For some reason, I cudnt get over how pop & funny that meme has become :)

Edited by BrownMetallic

Kyle, you better still be obsessed with flat head. I fthe og superfan has strayed I will be really bummed!

Here are my 3005 at about a year of everyday wear. I am insanely stoked, and can definitely say that my foray (starting about 2 years ago with 3009) into washing frequently to yield something like the tour 3001s instead of every flat head jean I had seen for years... has definitely payed off.

At this point I can't imagine a pair of jeans I could like better at this point, not even ones with RJB denim... which used to be my grail! That's how good the pioneer is.

Most accurate pics are where the wall behind looks darker, but you guys get the idea. Taken with iPhone 6

GH0riW8.jpg

BOqojQ6.jpg

mOpp9m7.jpg

DXeQtY8.jpg

Favorite details...

kL8nhN0.jpg

Bs1fNr1.jpg

Some home repairs... I don't want to get these repaired until I can get them to Rain at SESF, I'm surprised that they really haven't needed too much yet!

gMdXaTB.jpg

7uK45Qx.jpg

(bottom right pocket had to be resewn) Check out how killer cotton stitching degrades!

PnVTNBG.jpg

Those have turned out really nicely, Ben. And all the repairs just make them look even better. Although maybe rare on English-speaking forums, that look is similar to what most Japanese wearers' FH jeans look like after a year of wear.

I still love my Flat Head stuff - shirts like my 7002W denim shirt and my green western flannel will never, ever leave my collection. But other shirts, even though I love the patterns and design, just don't fit well on a tall, skinny guy like me. I can go into a store like J Crew and find a ton of shirts that fit me like a glove and completely lack the problems of many FH shirts, fit-wise.

As great as their denim is, none of their jeans really fit me well. Nothing ever fits right in the top thigh, hip, and bottom. None of my FH pairs' fit can even touch my Samurai S710xx (which I've been frequently wearing lately, for the first time in a while.) And for slimmer fits, brands like 3Sixteen and Nudie are much better-fitting on me.

I really need to post some updates on my FH horsehide engineer boots - those things are terrific and have only gotten sexier with age. Also, since I'm pretty much just using cards and almost no cash at this point, my FH card case has become my main wallet. This thing is a little bit special to me because I special ordered it (it's a discontinued version of their card case) and the black cordovan leather feels extremely nice. It's a small, subtle wallet but has all the stuff that makes FH's leather so great.

Some home repairs... I don't want to get these repaired until I can get them to Rain at SESF, I'm surprised that they really haven't needed too much yet!

Looks like she is stepping away from darn it and doing her own thing now.

The thing is, you can pick up the nicest jeans or shirts in the world, but if they don't fit you well then they're useless. And unfortunately the stuff that most Japanese brands make doesn't fit me nearly as well as western ones. I'd rather wear something less fancy with a pleasing fit than something that's got great great materials and details but looks bad on me.

Preaching to the choir. Exactly why it's not worth it to get a pair of denim that you need to size up 3 sizes for to get the thighs to fit, then have a waist that balloons out everytime you wear them. Doesn't matter how amazing the denim is, the fit needs to be just as amazing. Thankfully flag head makes a shit load of fits in the pioneer denim so most can find what they want, it's a shame that none work for you.

When you find something that combines incredible fabrics with a perfect fit, that's really when the magic happens and when the clothes become worth their money (imo.) I'm very happy that I've found that for myself in Flat Head!

The thing is, you can pick up the nicest jeans or shirts in the world, but if they don't fit you well then they're useless. And unfortunately the stuff that most Japanese brands make doesn't fit me nearly as well as western ones. I'd rather wear something less fancy with a pleasing fit than something that's got great great materials and details but looks bad on me.

^ This. Found out the hard way that details, fabrics, textures, craftsmanship mean nothing if the fits not right.

If she doesn't continue to repair jeans I'm going to murder myself =)

I believe you will not be disappointed with our new hires at SESF's Darn-It, can't post it to a board, but if you're curious you can email me.. also expanding our services in January (no, still no tapering..).  

i don't think anyone was contesting the idea that a shirt must fit well; j crew shirts are $70-$100 and consist of very cheap feeling materials mass produced in china and marked-up up because the brand is seen as a standard for upper-middle-class traditional white america; i have couple well-fitting j crew shirts but they each have this awkwardly long front and back tail (though not really long enough to tuck in) and i've noticed this on almost all j crew shirts over the years and it seems like it's part of their style; i really dislike the j crew tail and all it stands for.. 

I believe you will not be disappointed with our new hires at SESF's Darn-It, can't post it to a board, but if you're curious you can email me.. also expanding our services in January (no, still no tapering..).  

Mail ins?

For what it's worth my FH denim shirt is pretty much perfect, so I do get to enjoy their denim regardless! (Just not every day.)

Going off topic I like J Crew for tops. Yeah they have a lot of boring stripe and tablecloth shirts but I've got a couple of floral print shirts that are made from a gorgeous kimono-type fabric that's really nice and on par with similar shirts from 3Sixteen or Naked And Famous. I'm really tall so the length is just right for me. And I don't give a toss whether I look like an upper middle class white guy or whatever, I just wear what I like.