What are your jeans doing today?

ninetynine

1 hour ago, Double 0 Soul said:

They’re some proper beers!

Im starting to get pretty tired of IPA’s too.. we’ve had a lifetime of drinking the kind of beers you mentioned above so an IPA over the last 4 or 5 years have made a welcome change, nowadays I just want my beer to taste like beer again rather than some slightly grapefruity, cloudy IPA.. saying that, I had 3 pints of coconut porter from the Acorn Brewery in the pub a few weeks ago.. it was glorious!

I don't drink beer as much anymore (more of a whisky drinker) except if out for something to eat or average quick stop somewhere but totally agree on the IPA. Now l just want a pint, lager/Guinness,  as opposed to a cloudy citrus can for seven quid!

@Broark I was heading into London on the day you were marooned in Reading,  trains where crazy!  cancellations everywhere. I wont even try to pretend thats unusual for the UK rail network! 

Evidently there were two separate collisions with people that impacted the trains that day in the same region.
Our friends were heading from Manchester to London and we were supposed to meet up with them, didn't end up getting in until super late that evening.
We sat at Reading station for like...2 hours waiting for the train to arrive. Once we were able to get on we just went one stop up to Oxford and said that'll do. Pretty town at least!

Out of the Guinness varieties.. i think this Nigerian import is king, do you get this in the US B?

fullsizeoutput_3e46.thumb.jpeg.8eda829f87b46c28fdd8e817bcd406ee.jpeg

It's on the international food section in Tesco, rather than the beer aisle so nobody shopping for booze buys it.. therefore it gets reduced.. which is when i buy it  :blush:

Interesting, never heard of that varietal. I'll keep my eyes peeled!
Typically most shops here focus on domestic craft beers, most people (at least in Texas) don't typically seek out Guinness.

I know I've seen Guinness Extra over here. I've even had it, though I prefer the original. I'm not sure it was Foreign Extra.

I'm with you all on the IPA thing - but I wasn't even much a fan when the boom started. I liked the craft beer movement for what it could offer in stouts, porters and sours, but I rarely drink these days (few times a year?) and if I do, I still go to old favorites - that being a nice red or regular Guinness, actually.

The one thing I do appreciate now is that there are plenty of good N/A options available - except the Guinness N/A is one of the sorrier one's I've tried. Everything gets a bit of a pass because it's not got any booze, but there is still a quality spectrum. 

My neighbour and i share our recycling bin (he took theirs to his allotment and converted it into a water butt) i've noticed a few 0% Guinness he's put into recycle, he's trying to cut down on his booze intake.. i probably drink more than he does but i'll only ever drink 3 pints max these days whereas he'll only drink the odd one with a meal but when he goes out.. he goes out on a proper bender like he's still 18 :rolleyes: even though he's pushing 60.. he must be doing something right because he only looks 50.. fit as a fiddle, rock climber, road cyclist ect..

We don't seem to have very much of a selection of quality zero alcohol offerings.. one thing that bothers me tho.. it's the same price as regular Guinness and most of the cost associated with alcohol in the UK is taxation? shouldn't it be half the price without the alcohol duty to pay?

From a few days ago. Sweating my ass off in the Canadian tux. 

DSC05575-23.jpg

40 minutes ago, Double 0 Soul said:

My neighbour and i share our recycling bin (he took theirs to his allotment and converted it into a water butt) i've noticed a few 0% Guinness he's put into recycle, he's trying to cut down on his booze intake.. i probably drink more than he does but i'll only ever drink 3 pints max these days whereas he'll only drink the odd one with a meal but when he goes out.. he goes out on a proper bender like he's still 18 :rolleyes: even though he's pushing 60.. he must be doing something right because he only looks 50.. fit as a fiddle, rock climber, road cyclist ect..

We don't seem to have very much of a selection of quality zero alcohol offerings.. one thing that bothers me tho.. it's the same price as regular Guinness and most of the cost associated with alcohol in the UK is taxation? shouldn't it be half the price without the alcohol duty to pay?

The pricing is silly. That said, it’s worth it for how much better I sleep. If I were the investing type I’d definitely keep an eye on N/A companies because they get away huge margins it seems!

@rbeck - glad to see the fisheye is alive and well at the hardcore dive shows. All it needs is a dragged shutter and a twist for some light trails. 

For non or low alcohol beers (well lager), I like Lucky Saint and Peroni. Big Drop also do a wide selection, I particularly like their pale ale. Unfortunately much of the no/low alcohol market seems very sugary and calorific.

39 minutes ago, AlientoyWorkmachine said:

@rbeck - glad to see the fisheye is alive and well at the hardcore dive shows. All it needs is a dragged shutter and a twist for some light trails. 

Please no I've seen enough pictures like that for a lifetime lol

When I went across the pond 10+ years ago the train to Scotland was held up 1 stop away due to high winds but my friend was really nice and drove down and picked us up. The drinks I still remember getting were the warm ciders(strongbow?) and Tuborg beer. Also stopped in Ireland and had a Guinness and it ruined them back home for me.

I miss beer. Most of the gf ones aren’t worth the price tag, I’m always smelling other people’s beers and trying to imagine the taste. 
today is about 1/2 way through 6 week summer break and first day with no plans so a bit of cord/ rope making to tie back a plant. I whip these up with a loop in one end to tie up most  of my plants. And took my kitten for a walk, she loves getting out for an explore and she desperately wants to get free and chomp on some birds. Starting to place out plants for new garden, gotta go get more tomorrow so trying to have a shopping plan.

and I picked up some second hand Samurai, only worn once. Really nice chonky / slubby fibres. Been a long time since I’ve had new jeans to make comfortable.  Haven’t decided what to do with cuffs yet. 

IMG_9922.jpeg

IMG_9921.jpeg

IMG_9927.jpeg

IMG_9932.jpeg

IMG_9938.jpeg

20 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Out of the Guinness varieties.. i think this Nigerian import is king, do you get this in the US B?

It’s really good but a LOT stronger than yer standard Guinness 

14 hours ago, LazyS said:

The drinks I still remember getting were the warm ciders(strongbow?) and Tuborg beer. Also stopped in Ireland and had a Guinness and it ruined them back home for me.

Warm?! That’s an englandshire thing - Scots like their lagers and (ciders) extra cold - or room temperature as we call it

Plus that’s a bit extravagant stopping off in Ireland for a pint - no?

^The warm ciders were in London, Mulled cider wine from a holiday market and some pub that gave us free mugs with our drinks. At a supermarket in Scotland I remember seeing plastic 2L bottles of cider, my friend mentioned its what the youths like to drink in the park.

We booked a Ryanair flight a day in advance and it was only like $70. We had friends there to stay with too. The countryside pub we went to was really nice. Dublin was packed though, I mainly remember the park with the Oscar Wild statue.

Edited by LazyS

4 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

It’s really good but a LOT stronger than yer standard Guinness

I think porters and stouts benefit greatly from an increased abv.. whereas lagers i prefer piss weak.. remember when Heineken-Shmeineken used to be 3.2% ? i loved it.. it was much nicer back then.. than the toxic 5% which it is nowadays.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

2 hours ago, Hopethisoneisnttaken said:

@tg76 brewdog punk ipa is sold in the same price as any brewdog beer and it’s pretty good (for me at least. My wife doesn’t like it as much). 

Would smash some right now. Finished a ride and it’s creeping up to 30, glad there are some clouds today.

IMG_9989.jpeg

It appears that most of the beers from my local berwery are gf https://www.abbeydalebrewery.co.uk/product-tag/gluten-free/ it's only the bread based ones which arn't. you already get the best weather and the best nut butter, you can have too much of a good thing y'know!

I'm not familiar with that area @gnewix, i've just looked it up, it looks ingredible, do you live there or are you on holiday?

4 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

It appears that most of the beers from my local berwery are gf https://www.abbeydalebrewery.co.uk/product-tag/gluten-free/ it's only the bread based ones which arn't. you already get the best weather and the best nut butter, you can have too much of a good thing y'know!

I'm not familiar with that area @gnewix, i've just looked it up, it looks ingredible, do you live there or are you on holiday?

On holiday here mate, it's beautiful. It's my second time in Slovenia, the first was about 8 years ago and had terrible weather the whole time. Highly recommend it for hiking.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to a new local barber as my old one recently closed down, not surprising as he was in his early 80s! This is what he told me:

• He received an MBE from (the then) Prince Charles. He showed me the photo
  • He was at school with (same class as) Tony Hadley from Spandau Ballet
  • He used to cut the hair of (serial killer) Dennis Nilsen