Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

Hey guys, I've been skimming through this thread looking for some sizing info. I've seen a chart of sizes on one wash 1947's, but how much do these jeans stretch? I've never bought expensive denim, and pretty much the only pair of jeans I've liked is my STFs which I bought in 33's. I measured them now, and they're about 35" in the waist. I measured my waist and it's about 35". If I get the 34", would that stretch out enough to be comfortable? The next size up they have is 36" and I don't want to have baggy pants..

Hi, just got my Okinawas (SC40300) in the non-washed thanks to Masataka at Zipangu treasures.

A great pair of jeans, a unique fabric feel, mad detailing and that so faint but distinctively strange sweet smell.

I've read the entire thread and from previous comments I've heard on the benefits of soaking if you're looking at shrinking the jeans.

Anyway I've got in in a W29 and although it's fairly loose all-round I quite like its anti-fit feel so I'll probably not soak it at all and just wear it straight. I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on soaking/not-soaking (raw) them.

Thanks guys.

Btw they sure are itchy and it bleeds oh so easily.

I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on soaking/not-soaking (raw) them.

Thanks guys.

Soak them. That will be their eventual fit, and if you start wearing them unsoaked you will get creases and fading that don't match up when you are eventually forced to wash them. Also, they're starched for packing, but aren't meant to be worn like that. They will be less itchy after soaking, look better, fit more appropriately, and be how they are meant to be.

Raw is meant to make you a part of the process, not to be the way you wear them.

• 2 weeks later...

Whew... I just picked up a pair of '47s from Hinoya (through Parachutes) and I sure hope they stretch! I'm feelin a little, shall we say, "restricted". Today will be my first solid day of wear though (I've got the salaryman issue but it's denim on Fridays). At the moment, its a little troubling.

You know these ones, with the handwoven denim, the cinchback and the stitched-on front pockets. http://item.rakuten.co.jp/hinoya/sc40060/

Can't take pictures myself at the moment, I'm sorry.

Hmm... I'd seen the jeans before - In answer to your previous comment, maybe I should refer to them as "waist overalls" instead? - but no fit pics. Strange low pocket in the back.

I have a pair and they're really amazing... I've never seen denim like it.

We just got the hand loomed STYLE ones at Self Edge.. Similar denim but far more slubby and heavier than the actual hand loomed ones, reminds me of the Texas fiber Samurai denim.

I have a pair and they're really amazing... I've never seen denim like it.

We just got the hand loomed STYLE ones at Self Edge.. Similar denim but far more slubby and heavier than the actual hand loomed ones, reminds me of the Texas fiber Samurai denim.

Which style / model Kiya? Not on your site obviously. Do they use indigo dyed warp AND weft on those as well? I've always wanted to check that out.

We just got the hand loomed STYLE ones at Self Edge..

So you're not carrying the real thing? It seems that the ones on BIG are sold out. Well, I live in The Netherlands anyway.

Nope, nobody in the US carried the real thing even though a few stores took preorders.

I own the only pair that was sent to the US....

There is a version where they tried to replicate the hand loomed style denim, so it's like a replication of what it's supposed to look like. It's super slubby and quite insane looking.

We're releasing those today at Self Edge, they'll be up on our site in a few days..