Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

dont know if anyone posted it yet but they are now available. http://item.rakuten.co.jp/hinoya/sc40060/

the price is actually a bit lower than i thought it would be.

They are very interesting. A soft, loose handfeel, not unlike the handloomed (unsurprisingly) Yen jeans. A little slimmer than I expected. Nice coin pocket detail that is hidden beneath the front pocket too.

They are very interesting. A soft, loose handfeel, not unlike the handloomed (unsurprisingly) Yen jeans. A little slimmer than I expected. Nice coin pocket detail that is hidden beneath the front pocket too.

youve seen the hand loomed yens? this is why you are the best Ringring, if you have more info on those, or maybe just the natural indigo ones, i would be really appreciative.

Yes, I've handled a specimen of the handloomed Yens. If you image cloth that looks somewhat like a coffee/rice sack, but with a very soft handfeel, then you'd be someway there. Very floppy 'jeans'. Woven very narrow - using only one (half) leg per length, rather than the more usual 2 half legs lain back-to-back as it were.

I'm not sure about the indigo origins of the Yens I refer to. My own incursions were met with slightly evasive answers ;)

Something happened to my Edo Ai's and Hawaiis during their pre-wear wash. Tub washed and hang dried.

24039a5b.jpg

5483f3bf.jpg

9cfaebb1.jpg

Has anyone seen this before? What might have caused it, and how might it be fixed? I bought the jeans new from Rakuten, and haven't worn them yet. Since I've had them they've been stored in their SC bags, the way they came.

Any ideas?

I didn't personally soak them myself, and I didn't think to ask. I don't have the jeans with me right now, but the Edo Ai's will be here in a few days.

It looks like they both ended up with that weird marble pattern on just the left leg. Could this have been caused by the way they were folded?

EDIT: Yes, they were soaked and hung seperately.

i have the same Edo's and i dont recall mine doing that in the fade. it doesnt looka s noticable as on the hawaiis. makes me second guess getting a pair of those hawaiis...

maybe try and 2nd hot soak? i dont know if that would help with the coloring.

Hmm, that is possible Edmond. It kinda reminds me of the way jeans come out if you wash them with bleach. I don't know what might've happened to them before they came into my possession, but I didn't do anything to them.

The Edo's should be in tomorrow. I'd planned on washing them to see if they even out, but I'm wondering if that's really a good idea, since I don't know yet what caused this, and I don't want to exacerbate the problem.

Moisture, eh? You know, if you search for "sugarcane" you get 17 pages of results. I didn't find anything like this anywhere in superdenim.

If you look in the World Wide Denim Project thread you'll see the before and after pics from the jeans BA lost and left outside in the rain for 3 months. The short version is that mold and rot ate away much of the denim, but I did notice that the wettest parts of the jeans were the ones that faded the most in the washing (not counting the huge pieces that disintegrated). I'd link/show pictures, but the rot didn't show the moisture well (also, this is just a guess).

ohhh fuck panda.. i think when they one wash this it got entangled with something .. ask them if they used the dryer and if they washed it with other jeans im sure its with other jeans thats why those fades from the creases..

If you look in the World Wide Denim Project thread you'll see the before and after pics from the jeans BA lost and left outside in the rain for 3 months. The short version is that mold and rot ate away much of the denim, but I did notice that the wettest parts of the jeans were the ones that faded the most in the washing (not counting the huge pieces that disintegrated). I'd link/show pictures, but the rot didn't show the moisture well (also, this is just a guess).

That makes sense. I understand these haven't been produced in a while. Sitting in Tokyo, and then sitting in Texas may indeed have allowed a little mold or something to develop.

hey panda just wear these fuckers man it will get to that anyways.. but mn those are some mean jeans youg ot there fit pic fit picsssssssssssssssssss!!

Right, that's what's kind of comforting me about this. With enough fading, it wont be noticeable. Hell, If I have to, I could just keep washing them to even them out before wearing them.

ohhh fuck panda.. i think when they one wash this it got entangled with something .. ask them if they used the dryer and if they washed it with other jeans im sure its with other jeans thats why those fades from the creases..

I thought about that too. I asked, and they were washed by themselves in a tub (each one seperately), then hang dried in a boiler room.

That makes sense. I understand these haven't been produced in a while. Sitting in Tokyo, and then sitting in Texas may indeed have allowed a little mold or something to develop.

Right, that's what's kind of comforting me about this. With enough fading, it wont be noticeable. Hell, If I have to, I could just keep washing them to even them out before wearing them.

I thought about that too. I asked, and they were washed by themselves in a tub (each one seperately), then hang dried in a boiler room.

hmm boiler roomm i think i know who washed them anyways.. forget it man just wear these wonderful jeans youll be ayte..

Panda-san, that's exactly what happened to my SC41955s. It was my first pair of Japanese jeans and as a complete noob, I threw them raw into the washing machine without putting them inside out. I got a similar sort of abraiding pattern on my jeans front and back. Washing them will only make it worse. The only thing you can do it wear them and hopefully your own fades will blend everything together. This is why I don't like buying one-washes cause you can't trust the person who did the one wash. I soak my raws (sanforized or not) for 3 hours inside out before putting them into the washing machine for a hot wash. The initial soak loosens the fibers and makes the jean more amenable to the agitations inside the washing machine.

Panda-san, that's exactly what happened to my SC41955s. It was my first pair of Japanese jeans and as a complete noob, I threw them raw into the washing machine without putting them inside out. I got a similar sort of abraiding pattern on my jeans front and back. Washing them will only make it worse. The only thing you can do it wear them and hopefully your own fades will blend everything together. This is why I don't like buying one-washes cause you can't trust the person who did the one wash. I soak my raws (sanforized or not) for 3 hours inside out before putting them into the washing machine for a hot wash. The initial soak loosens the fibers and makes the jean more amenable to the agitations inside the washing machine.

right on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree that the "damage" seems consistent with what might happen after a machine wash, but these were washed in a tub, and didn't go in a dryer. To add to that, I machine washed my 19 oz. Sam's the other day, rightside out, and they didn't do anything strange at all.

I heard from the person who washed them this morning, and they put the Hawaiis through a second soak, which apparently evened them out quite a bit. Their theory is that they'll need several washes or soaks to achieve a uniform color and pattern.