Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

• 2 weeks later...

I originally asked this in the small questions, but I think this might be a more appropriate place.

Are these the same Hawaiis that BiG sells?

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/hinoya/sc40401a/

If so, why is there such a huge difference in price?

Also, do the Hawaii and Okinawa have pretty much the same cut (looking at BiG's measurements it looks like the only difference is in the upper thigh)?

Are these the same Hawaiis that BiG sells?

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/hinoya/sc40401a/

If so, why is there such a huge difference in price?

Also, do the Hawaii and Okinawa have pretty much the same cut (looking at BiG's measurements it looks like the only difference is in the upper thigh)?

Toyo sets their prices. Toyo sets high international prices. It sucks. They fit me exactly the same when I tried them on.

The fit isn't bad. It's just bad on certain body types. If it doesn't fit you well, I'm very sorry, because I love my Hawaiis to death.

Panda-san, get them hemmed. If you bought them from BiG, you can probably get them to chainstitch it. If not, just get a normal hem. I think it's better to have them be a length that you like and lose the chainstitch as opposed to hanging on to the chainstitch and being unhappy with the length.

The fit isn't bad. It's just bad on certain body types. If it doesn't fit you well, I'm very sorry, because I love my Hawaiis to death.

Panda-san, get them hemmed. If you bought them from BiG, you can probably get them to chainstitch it. If not, just get a normal hem. I think it's better to have them be a length that you like and lose the chainstitch as opposed to hanging on to the chainstitch and being unhappy with the length.

That's the thing though, they are hemmed. BiG was nice enough to wash and chainstitch them for me when I was in NYC, even though I didn't buy from them. The inseam is at ~31.25, which is a half an inch shorter than I usually get. They're too long when left alone, and if I cuf them, they're too short when I sit down. I just don't know what to do with these, which really sucks, since my Hawaii's are the exact same cut, and fit the exact same way.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Panda-san, perhaps you need a slight taper, that way they might stack better.

Chantheman I know what you are saying, these jeans feel and look awesome but I don't think I can overlook that for fit in this case. Since I am noob to SC I guess I can't appreciate it as much as other guys.

specifically, those are the natural indigo hawaii's - 40400N

Does natural indigo indicate whether they are raw or one-wash? They are very slubby and I guess fuzzy, so I am assuming they are one-wash? These are a size 32; my sized down is 30 (in Dukes, only denim I have worn for an extended period of time). I'm guessing they will not shrink with a hot soak anymore than the tag size? I bought them cheap so I don't know if that warrants me to just wear them even if they do not fit the way I'd like or make some profit to get a better (fitting) jean.

Does natural indigo indicate whether they are raw or one-wash? They are very slubby and I guess fuzzy, so I am assuming they are one-wash? These are a size 32; my sized down is 30 (in Dukes, only denim I have worn for an extended period of time). I'm guessing they will not shrink with a hot soak anymore than the tag size? I bought them cheap so I don't know if that warrants me to just wear them even if they do not fit the way I'd like or make some profit to get a better (fitting) jean.

the natural indigo pairs were all raw. they should shrink to tag but not much smaller than that.

i made this model lineup a while back. maybe it will help

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=35968

I'm ok with the anti-fit ass, but the inseam kills me. They don't stack well and look ugly full-length, and are too short when cuffed.

1bef346c.jpg

0f1506db.jpg

Double cuff these and let them hang short. Get yourself a pair of boots, or even high top chucks. Jeans with a lower leg that wide, look better left a hair short, so they hang away from the body. I think the combination of wider leg and too long can just look sloppy.

Double cuff these and let them hang short. Get yourself a pair of boots, or oven high top chucks. Jeans with a lower leg that wide, look better left a hair short, so they hang away from the body. I think the combination of wider leg and too long can just look sloppy.

Best advice one give him at this point. They're far too vintage looking.

Panda san...making your jeans fit from a 34" (assuming that was the orignal length) to a 31.25" can't be fixed by hemming alone. you'll need to:

re-taper the legs to get rid of the wide-legged-effect (as mentioned by Gizmo) i doubt double-cuffing them will tidy them up or make it look better cause it's not diminishing the extra fabric that's hanging around your feet. take up the crotch so it won't make your legs look out of proportion...since the SC's have the anti-fit ass this won't really be a problem. however, your back pockets would probably end up in a really weird position in relation to where they'd normally be so perhaps re-adjusting them maybe needed. ideally at this point a good tailor will also adjust the pockets at either side of the hip to minimize any flairing. seeing as how SC rivets their pockets the latter two tasks will most likely not be possible...or at best, very taxing. that's not even discussing what the tailor is going to charge for basically making you a whole new pair of jeans.

unless you really want to go through all that i'd just write the SC's off as a loss and buy new ones, use them as a pair of i-don't-give-a-shit-jeans or just accept them.

*edit: now that i think about it you maybe better off buying jeans that are closer to a 31" inseam right off the bat cause if the Cane's are 34" by default then you'll probably run into this problem everytime...*

Got the SC40601 Slack denim a while ago:

Stitching:

slackdenim01.jpg

Buffalo leather patch:

slackdenim02.jpg

Back pocket lining:

slackdenim04.jpg

Rough and rusty rivets:

slackdenim05.jpg

Front pocket lining:

slackdenim06.jpg

The denim:

slackdenim08.jpg

Selvage and chainstitch

slackdenim09.jpg

Fit:

sc40601001.jpgsc40601002.jpg

This denim is really intense, much slubbier and uneven than the Hawaiis

very nice David.

Benz: I don't know what background you are coming from but these are not a pair of savile row tailored trousers. Most people in the homeland of sugarcane will require their jeans to be shortened somewhat and I don't think Panda-san would be particularly short legged in Japan. There is barely any taper from the knee to the hem on these jeans, 1/4 or 1/2 inch at most.

The idea of trying to rebuild these jeans is beyond ridiculous.

Personally I think worn normally, ie: no tucked t-shirt with the tight belt, with some boots and double cuffed to show off the boots, these would look fine. Dunks do not look good with jeans like this. After they have been worn for a while, they will settle in too.