Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

^ I've seen the Clutch guys handwashing a rayon Sun Surf and seemingly promoting this. Personally I'm aligned to tooth and wouldn't risk it. Dry clean all the way

• 2 weeks later...

Do all models of Sugar Cane jeans have the tag in the left pocket?

I have the Okinawa and Hawaii's and both have this so I was wondering if this is a feature of all models?

Love the jeans for the most part otherwise just not a fan of the tag in the pocket 

@OutSider I think the recent Super Denim Collectibles models have it in the right pocket, in stead—and a number of older models, particularly Lee and Wrangler repros, had them in their back pockets 

I picked up a pair of these 1947 Black Hard Wash in Japan and my usual 1947 size, but they are bigger in the fit which as been a pleasent surprise because they are so comfortable and all I want to wear right now. Really makes me think I should give some of these more anti fit pants a try.

sugar-cane-1947-14-25oz-black-selvedge-denim-straight-hard-wash--1_1200x.thumb.webp.495a98973bdc04b2b5b980106cae36be.webp

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Could someone tell me the difference between the SG 1947 (regular) and the SG 1946 supercollectibles? Are the cuts identical? I’ve seen that the 1946 was made from a finer fabric (13.5 oz) and the 1947 from a thicker fabric (14.25 oz). I haven’t been able to find the information, but do you know what the thickness of the Cone Mills fabric used by Levi’s at that time was?

4 hours ago, CharlieMike said:

Hello,

Could someone tell me the difference between the SG 1947 (regular) and the SG 1946 supercollectibles? Are the cuts identical? I’ve seen that the 1946 was made from a finer fabric (13.5 oz) and the 1947 from a thicker fabric (14.25 oz). I haven’t been able to find the information, but do you know what the thickness of the Cone Mills fabric used by Levi’s at that time was?

no while both are essentially straight cuts, they do fit differently. It's most noticeable in the top block where the 47 feels trimmer with more tapered waist. the 46 is a little more anti-fit in shape and has the obvious design quirks. the 46 fabric feels noticeably rougher and uneven than the 47 which is more uniform and has a smoother hand. I'm no expert in vintage but from what I've read and heard from sugar cane, the wartime fabrics were a little lighter in weight than the post war fabrics. 

6 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

So you’re still a 34 in Cane’s but going with a 37 in the contest jeans?

Hi Julian.  I'm a 34 in Sugar Cane but going 37 for the contest pair.  We'll see how it goes 😉

5 hours ago, Dr_Heech said:

Corrected it for you 😆

Hey now, I'll have you know in '23 I only bought one pair of jeans, so far in '24 I've purchased 4 (including the WoM contest it'll be 5).
A few years ago I would've done that over the course of a month or two. :laugh:

On 8/3/2024 at 4:59 AM, fabes said:

Does anyone have experience with Sugar Cane 100% rayon shirts? I have one that’s ready to be cleaned and I think rayon can be finicky.  Care tag says to dry clean, but looking to find out if hand-washing or even machine-wash gentle will ruin it. 

Sorry guys.. late to the party.

I've always washed my 100% rayon SunSurf shirts in the machine on a delicates cycle, bit of washing detergent, take it out after a short spin and put it on a hanger to dry, they always come out just fine.. i think i've posted about it somewhere in the midst of this thread.

I was unsure for the first wash but what convinced me was the plethora of rayon shirts in the vintage shops.. most of which are in pretty good shape considering their age/material and there is no way they've always been dry cleaned with the utmost care... why would you if you're donating it?

On 9/9/2024 at 2:43 PM, beautiful_FrEaK said:

I might have missed that or must be stupid but these #23 jeans from the Levi's 501 book have oddly familiar pocket bags (sorry if it has been posted before)

20240906_075415.thumb.jpg.66cdbb99d448822c335888dabd0b8481.jpg

Besides Sugarcane and CSF, the Chinese repro brand Mobilization also uses this pattern. 

Apparently there are only a handful of vintage war jeans with flannel pockets.

TCB has just started a pre-order for their new pair. They found a pair with different ones.

fit=cover,w=920,h=920

Edited by indigoeagle