SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

Which method for soaking unsanforized denim to get the best creases / honeycombs / whiskers?

In lukewarm water:

1) soaking while wearing in bathtub. Standing up a few time / squatting / etc to let gravity set the creases in. Need to be careful what movements you make because the creases stay when dried. (example: don't hang upside down)

2) turning inside out and soaking, then hanging to dry.

This method seems to me that you'd get less creases to begin with.

I've only done the 1st method so I wouldn't know.

honestly dude it doesn't matter. if you wear the jeans enough all the right fades will eventually come. just wear the jeans, and wash when they need it. combs come from the constant flexing of the denim behind the knee joint, it's that simple the more active that joint is, the more combs. the fit of the denim around the knee is the most important factor, however. if the knee fit isn't comb-friendly(to loose around the knee) the combs won't be as fierce(no homo) BTW, gravity has NOTHING to do with combs...

gravity does matter when the jeans are wet. the creases are more easily manipulated.

But I don't know.. it's just with method one the combs come out faster.

And according to some people fading occurs faster after the starch is washed away. So it's like right after you wash them the whiskers / combs are all set in so the fading can start immediately

I have a pair of Nudie Thin Finn Dry Organic Ecru Embo's in a size 31 that fit me perfectly. I know April 77 sizing is a little weird and I've looked around but there isn't too much info, so my question is what size should I take in these, 30 or 32 to get a similiar fit?

http://www.revolveclothing.com/DisplayProduct.jsp?product=APRI-MP10&c=Denim&s=C&d=b&n=s

@catharsis: trust me dude, if you are that worried about developing ''killer combs'', just do some extra squats at night with the jawns on, or do the asian squat for a few minutes a day. how can gravity be a factor whether the jawns are wet or dry? be logical,it ain't rocket science. combs in a nutshell are just a consequential result of wearing certain jeans extensively, depending on the cut. the only thing about gravity i can even relate to denim is when i wash, and throw the jeans on the back porch rail and the gravity pulls the water down to the ground as they drip-dry.

How long does Japan Post's EMS mail take? I've ordered something from japan and I live in California. They shipped my package Wednesday morning and now its friday afternoon and I haven't gotten it yet. I thought express mail was a one day delivery service. Can somebody who has experience with this service give me an estimate of how long it'll take? I'm starting to get worried. Thanks.

Is it recommended to apply oil to leather goods? I just received my wallet, lanyard, and bi fold from tanner.

it all depends on what you are putting on the leather. look here:

www.essortment.com/all/leathercaretip_rico.htm

just basic tips. me, i use shea butter. call tanner and ask them if shea is good for their leather...

I know I could probably find this elsewhere, but it never seemed entirely clear to me - LVC Levis shrink from tagged size, not to tagged size, correct?

In short, yes, this is how levi's were always sized and worn.

But some LVC are made oversized, particularly the current run. Best tactic is to ask the retailer to tell you actual, measured size. For most models, I would size up by one inch. This will give you a trim fit on the 47, a vintage fit on the 55, and a baggy fit on the 33.

If the jeans were originally rinsed does that mean the fading effect is harder to get than dry unwashed denim?
I'm not entirely sure, but I think that rinsed denim is not like dry denim in that it is treated so that it fades minimally.

There's no real difference. Most people rinse their dry jeans before wearing them - some manufacturers, eg Sugarcane, do that for you. Otherwise, the process is exactly the same, and over time they will fade in exactly the same way.

The only advantage of doing it yourself is that you can vary the length of the soak, and hence how much starch is left in the jeans, and sets some of the creases early on - but this is more important as a ritual than for any long-term effect on the fading.

There is some difference in how Sanforized jeans fade compared to STF but that's another story.

Hey fellow SuperDenim-ers!

I am looking to purchase my first denim for myself. Recently I just picked up the knowledge on raws/drys/cold/washed and such on denims.

I need recommendations for my new denim. Here are some preferences that I have in mind for your reference to help me! :)

- Budget up to USD150.

- Colour to be Indigo or Dark Blue

- My TW is 29.5 inches.

- Do not really want stacking, inseam preferably 30 inches.

- Slim fit, not a fan of those jeans that sticks to my legs.

Hope the above information is enough. Please let me know if I need to furnish more preferences.

Thanks in advance! Cheers!

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic