Yes there is a watch thread on the main Sufu page, but I like to think we keep it more interesting as denimheads (at least, in wearing watches with denim based outfits)...So what do you wear? Vintage? Divers? Field watches? All are welcome here, from quartz to automatic; What's on your wrist?

34434689266_b8ecf336c8_z.jpg

37882574526_241098de37_z.jpg

My top daily wearer this year, the Grand Seiko SBGX117 9F quartz diver (the only no date diver by GS, and probably the last quartz diver for a while as it wasn't the most popular);  50 year service interval and +/- 10 seconds A YEAR. Haters gonna hate, but I'm Team GS FOR LIFE.

Edited by aho

All amazing watches in this thread! The Seiko link doesn't surprise me; Being in to Japanese denim can easily spread to Japanese watches in a way, especially with the brand's historical significance and technological leaps/patents in timekeeping.

My latest daily wearer is the SBDC053/SPB053, which is a blue modern reinterpretation of the original Seiko diver, the 62MAS. It's definitely too big on me, accentuated by putting it on the bracelet (the collars stick out extra), but I enjoy it nonetheless.

39064826132_6f1a820b4d_z.jpg

And I had to post this watch eventually, but it's my grail and prized possession, the SBGA031 titanium Spring Drive GS diver:

35407657023_904cf8a143_z.jpg

(denim novis!)

My daily wearer is an Omega Seamaster ("James Bond"), and my watch for special occasion is a Cartier Tank Americaine in white gold. I've been in love with the Tank Americaine for 25+ years and I still think it's the most beautiful men's watch ever designed. (The other Tank designs are kind of meh, as far as I'm concerned...)

I hope one day to get a Rolex Hulk, or maybe a bronze Pani.

Edited by JDelage

Going to cop myself one of the tender gstp watches soon probably. I know that I'm going for one of the cream faced ones but don't know which yet. Being a watch noob I don't really understand the differences between the models but I like them all. Is there anything that the Flyer's watch has over let's say the telegraph watch? I'm torn between those two.

One thing I recommend is looking into a automatic/eta movement, should be possible under 500 quids..e.g the CWC general service navigator has actually a real military history, fairly priced. Pilots (like iwc has history all the way back to the 40s) / chronographs/divers etc have different function and use, lots of history behind. Maybe Hodinkee, wornandwound is a good start. In the long run I recommend to save up and buy a keeper!

13 hours ago, mememessenger said:

Going to cop myself one of the tender gstp watches soon probably. I know that I'm going for one of the cream faced ones but don't know which yet. Being a watch noob I don't really understand the differences between the models but I like them all. Is there anything that the Flyer's watch has over let's say the telegraph watch? I'm torn between those two.

ask @rodeo bill he's great at answering queries on his own products. the best i've experienced.

^thanks Ooms! and thanks very much for your interest, Meme. Of the two cream dialled watches you're interested in, the Flyer's watch has a mechanical movement (hand wound, made in Japan by Miyota), whereas the Telegraph watch has a quartz movement (also made in Japan, by Seiko). Other than that, the only difference is the dial design- both styles are fully made in Japan to the same spec. Please just ask here, in a message, or by email, if you have any questions or need any more information.

I'll get a pic of my own GSTP, and the rest of my collection, soon (great thread!) but here's what I happen to have on today- an early Seiko Sportsmatic 15017, from around 1960.

IMG_0173.thumb.JPG.12de7a1a76d6b7c0044f490ff200a24f.JPG

and here's Deborah's Omega Ladymatic, on a nice NSA bracelet:

IMG_4522.thumb.jpg.b01e521b4023a1e779e47d49ebada4ca.jpg 

On 12/26/2017 at 10:13 PM, aho said:

All amazing watches in this thread! The Seiko link doesn't surprise me; Being in to Japanese denim can easily spread to Japanese watches in a way, especially with the brand's historical significance and technological leaps/patents in timekeeping.

My latest daily wearer is the SBDC053/SPB053, which is a blue modern reinterpretation of the original Seiko diver, the 62MAS. It's definitely too big on me, accentuated by putting it on the bracelet (the collars stick out extra), but I enjoy it nonetheless.

39064826132_6f1a820b4d_z.jpg

Very nice, im currently wearing the spb051

Love that speedy and the 68 Oyster, they were on my shortlist before I bought the attached.

I love my Carrera, and also love bragging about how I obtained it. I simply cleared out lots of crap. This mainly comprised a Nuggets box set, a Rhino Surfing box set (sold via eBay to the BBC library for £144) and others, all burned to iTunes before of course, a Triang train set from my youth, some Elvis 78s picked up for pennies, and a bunch of old jeans, mainly Lee Riders, but I think also my 501 Indigo Immortal that went to the bandit photographer. That was it, none of my freelance income went that way.

I also have a nice late 50s or early 60s Heuer automatic, but it needs an overhaul right now and there are too many other vintage items in my house need fixing (old Fenders and Volvos).

This is a 1964 3647NT.

Paul's Heuer Carrera.jpg

Sir @Paul T, incidentally I funded my larger watch purchases the same way, and my vintage "collection" is pretty much in tatters. I'm only saving one OG 1947 pair (consequently the least valuable in monetary terms since its a size 28 and faded/beat to shreds, but most valuable to me personally), and will continue to sell off the rest in the coming months for ::ahem:: some anticipated 2018 additions...

Really have to say I'm impressed with the level of time keeping here, I wasn't expecting as many responses and put this thread out more as a "feeler". I guess it's true that the "denim gene" is a precursive predictor towards collecting and appreciating "things" on more philosophical levels in general, which is an indicative and endemic behavior in watch collecting as well. 

Will close out this year with the watch I wore the most next to my GS, the SRP777 Seiko Turtle (now on Uncle Seiko beads of rice bracelet, image poached from insta):

24177451_149717105658175_2844434218824499200_n.jpg

Cute watch, what it is? Poor man's version of the Mikey Mouse Rolex?

:D:D:D

Dug back my Instagram for some Certina Blue Ribbon pics, worn on a great strap by Uwe Tauber, mad out of oak bark tanned leather by Baker tannery.

Another pic of the DX on his original Milano strap, great for summer wear.