Jump to content
Iron Horse

The Leather Jacket Thread

Recommended Posts

I have had this TOJ DR jacket for 10 years. Worn a lot. Received it just as the whole TOJ controversy started to blow up.

 

IMG_6526.JPG

IMG_6527.JPG

IMG_6528.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just completed this jacket inspired by previous jacket I posted here before , a bit loud but I like it.

IMG-20221111-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20221111-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20221111-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20221111-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20221111-WA0004.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got a question for you all…

I just picked up this really nice 60s horsehide jacket off of yahoo auctions. The listing mentioned that the lining had been replaced and that the rest of the jacket had “general wear”. There weren’t any super close up photos of the wear, but from the overall shots I thought the patina looked nice and so sprung for it. And besides that, it was the first jacket I’d found in weeks of searching that had exactly the measurements I was after.

I’m really happy with the fit, at least.

89028771-8545-49E1-B66A-593D08755EEE.thumb.jpeg.aa19922a859689712f4bf3b93e481683.jpeg999C0943-8D21-4F62-9460-60CF63CE0EC6.thumb.jpeg.a86d78bf8e3070a4c71a03af6852f2df.jpeg
 

The problem is that when I got the jacket and was able to look it over in person, I realized that the “patina” the jacket has was largely made by sandpaper. I confess to having been ignorant of the fact that people actually did shit like this, but I guess given what people were doing to their raw denim 15 years ago (and the many instances of sandpaper-“fading” denim in Japan over that same time) i should have been on the lookout for it.

Anyway, I will still wear this jacket as is, but I’d really like to figure out some way to polish the sandpaper scuffs out of the leather. They’re not deep, but they’re really obvious in person and i don’t want to give the impression that I might have done this “fading” myself, lol. I’d rather polish or dye the whole jacket black and start all over than have the wear that’s currently on it. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on what to do, I’d really appreciate hearing. Here are some close ups - again, photos don’t show the scratches nearly as well as they show up in real life.4A9DFFC6-E417-4622-9307-9FF702C4AB4C.thumb.jpeg.0b7f20bcfe8f0d9e5eff5ab1a9ee5be6.jpegB8CA58DC-3F1E-48BC-ADED-F79AB042FBC1.thumb.jpeg.622acf5d1d7871bd9f8ab1b95a56206e.jpeg98E378FA-E15E-4410-86AB-D906D7B3BCC6.thumb.jpeg.54784cf5b1fcd0f3eceb34cd96050188.jpeg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


@chicote

It’s a shame someone has done that to a good piece of leather (handsome jacket and a really nice fit too)

One way to disguise the scratches a little is to use a coloured conditioner (the downside is it will become a uniform colour again), or I think I’d just use a good neutral conditioner (which may still darken the raw areas a little) applying 2 or 3 light coats letting each one dry before applying the next.

Saphir products are excellent but not the cheapest, I use Sedgwick’s conditioner, and I can also recommend Fiebing’s products (which might be easier for you to get)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

59club Bbq night last Saturday 

screenshot2893991752194505559.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2022 at 11:51 PM, chicote said:

 

999C0943-8D21-4F62-9460-60CF63CE0EC6.thumb.jpeg.a86d78bf8e3070a4c71a03af6852f2df.jpeg
 

 

 

great jacket and fit! worth trying to save...

On 11/20/2022 at 10:44 AM, Duke Mantee said:


@chicote

It’s a shame someone has done that to a good piece of leather (handsome jacket and a really nice fit too)

One way to disguise the scratches a little is to use a coloured conditioner (the downside is it will become a uniform colour again), or I think I’d just use a good neutral conditioner (which may still darken the raw areas a little) applying 2 or 3 light coats letting each one dry before applying the next.

Saphir products are excellent but not the cheapest, I use Sedgwick’s conditioner, and I can also recommend Fiebing’s products (which might be easier for you to get)

I know much much less than the esteemed duke on leather matters, but would agree that starting with a neutral conditioner will bring life back to those abraded areas to see what you have to work with...

& cant vouch for it, but attractions have put together this coloured conditioner with collonil that [I think] has a colouring agent in it ... https://attractions.co.jp/collections/other/products/580 

I rate the attractions leather I have so would hope/believe they have put same attention to their other care products...

here is an ig post of a before after leather care that seems approximate to the color issue you have...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoMPaYuHH-b/?tagged=attractionsco

but it is expensive for the amount you get...

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2022 at 6:51 PM, chicote said:

Anyway, I will still wear this jacket as is, but I’d really like to figure out some way to polish the sandpaper scuffs out of the leather. They’re not deep, but they’re really obvious in person and i don’t want to give the impression that I might have done this “fading” myself, lol. I’d rather polish or dye the whole jacket black and start all over than have the wear that’s currently on it. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on what to do, I’d really appreciate hearing. 

You may be able to figure out a DIY route but if it doesn't work or you'd rather hand it to someone else check out the link below if you're in the US and willing to pay a bit. i think leather jackets last long enough to warrant paying for specialist care. I had discoloring issues with an ebay leather jacket and they took care of it for me. haven't had alterations done with them but i have heard good things about that as well. this is a reputable mail-in leather specialist. curious if you figure out a DIY route, i have heard of some using shoe polish before. 

https://www.greatleather.com/restore.php#sservices

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks so much for the feedback, you guys. I am thinking of going the DIY boot polish route, at least to start. Three coats of Saphir Reno soaked nicely into the leather but didn’t make any noticeable difference in the colour of the abraded areas. I’ll look into the Collonil product that attractions carries; I’ve heard really good things about one of their leather care products in a green jar (called diamante something? Maybe?) but have no firsthand experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got a Eastman a2 size 44 that feels huge on me. May I size down? Thoughts? 
 

C8838336-51C7-47E6-B0A5-D2AB9A3EE194.jpeg

F14596FA-CBE1-42DA-8027-D5FEE8542258.jpeg

A2418EE6-E3C8-4BE9-BC58-0221762F1B17.jpeg

B92C1DA0-CD91-4D1E-A75F-17D0FAA32CBA.jpeg

65C3E921-5DB7-467D-8DD7-6A9813EDCE4F.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed, exchange for a size down if possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2022 at 5:02 PM, chicote said:

Thanks so much for the feedback, you guys. I am thinking of going the DIY boot polish route, at least to start. Three coats of Saphir Reno soaked nicely into the leather but didn’t make any noticeable difference in the colour of the abraded areas. I’ll look into the Collonil product that attractions carries; I’ve heard really good things about one of their leather care products in a green jar (called diamante something? Maybe?) but have no firsthand experience.

Gutted for you chicote, you did the hard part in nailing down the fit. Hopefully you can bring it back to a decent state.

On the bright side it's not nearly as bad as the Visvim offerings this year:

19003683_43380269_1920.jpg

visvim-101XXJacket-BlackFrenchVegLamb-Fl

 

elmendorf.webp

101xx.webp

Edited by merzbot
photos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone, wanted to share an update on my jacket in case anyone’s curious. I decided to go the DIY boot polish route to obscure the sandpaper marks on my jacket, and after some research went with Collonil’s Colorit conditioner. I applied a bit on an arm last night to test the tint and colourfastness and was pretty happy with the result. The dye gives the leather a really nice sheen, but nothing overly artificial or new-looking, and I think the textural patina of the leather shows through just fine while hiding the visible sandpaper marks… even though I was just starting to get used to them, lol. I went to colour the rest of the jacket today and took some before/after photos.

Untreated:

69904226-DAF2-482D-94FF-F8D178F4F897.thumb.jpeg.1bd096982e01887d892363c075e3dcd9.jpeg

After application and about 15 minutes’ dry time:

BB68C88A-413D-491A-A504-E8F4B9583A08.thumb.jpeg.8d4a740ac68b7004e155623eedab63d7.jpeg
 

Contrast between freshly applied conditioner on the chest panel and the untreated arm:

295922BD-E730-4986-8A4F-77BAF6D23C3E.thumb.jpeg.34a578a3c49b02f0ded28dd8464b7d53.jpeg

The sandpaper marks are hidden pretty well by the conditioner - hopefully further conditioning  with uncoloured cream will blend them in further.
6484F0E5-9DEA-4F0A-A315-E47A75C0380F.thumb.jpeg.1cce91d7ed5a46482f809725f7dd7cb0.jpeg

and here’s the product I used:
57D8B294-99F5-4114-BED0-B2219A054B3F.thumb.jpeg.8b95f56065403a57f4fcb822fbfba5a0.jpeg

 

thanks for looking!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now