Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

35 minutes ago, oomslokop said:

what was the purpose of yr grandad starching and creasing his wranglers every day?

Old school mentality.. just so they look smart init.. my mother will press everything, not just clothing, bedsheets, pretty much anything that goes in the wash, she will do the dusting, wash the duster, iron it, fold it and put it back on the pile of neatly folded dusters ready for next time.. I'm contrast, i've never ironed owt, life's too short for that nonsense!

Edited by Double 0 Soul

Not sure how many here are fans of Companion out of Barcelona. I have a few of their mainline jackets and while I know the designs and fits aren't for everyone the construction has always been some of the best I've owned (close to if not on par w/ Ooe - at least for what I've owned) - but anyways, their most recent marketing emailer was touting new Cone selvedge denims and made mention of White Oak, which obviously closed years ago now. AFAIK Cone only makes selvedge in their China mill - with their Mexico mill running only projectile looms.

Anyways, thought it a bit misleading to mention Cone and White Oak and Greensboro NC and selvedge and not specifically state that it was China loomed denim, especially in this little corner of the industry where people tend to care much more about these things. I think anyone who follows knows Cone is essentially dead in the way that many people cared about it - it's just a US office sourcing denim from overseas now - but the way these other brands keep pushing the name like it's some sort of heritage product is pretty nonsensical to me. Thoughts? 

10 hours ago, oomslokop said:

what was the purpose of yr grandad starching and creasing his wranglers every day?

Cowboys were always well dressed even when working.  
That was a big part of it. 

@julian-wolf

It says "New Cone Denim Capsule" with pics of a bunch of different new selvedges.

Then "Cone Denim Mill Corporation, Greensboro, North Carolina, have been representing the American selvedge denim all over the world for over 125 years. The mill was established in 1905 and shuttle-loomed fabric was woven on their famous Draper X-3 looms. White Oak Mill has gained its fame as the heart of the Cone Denim business representing legacy, tradition, innovation and timeless credit." and then a pic of White Oak. 

Better yet https://mailchi.mp/0583416deeb7/new-cone-denim-capsule?e=075bdbbf2c 

No mention that this denim is not from White Oak or American denim or anything. The person who studied advertising in me says this very well could be lying by omission. I mean, none of it is technically false just given the market they cater to, I would think they know better. This is probably nitpicky, but then...isn't what what a forum this specific is for? 

Edited by AlientoyWorkmachine

It looks to be intentionally misleading to me. They clearly omit that this fabric is woven at White Oak. The labels they show are not White Oak labels. Yet they tout the heritage of the White Oak Mill and the Draper X-3 in the next section. It also feels fishy that they include "representing the American denim all over the world." Looks like an intentionally vague statement to create the argument that they never misrepresented where this Cone Denim comes from. I wonder what shuttle looms they're running in China.

Denim pet peeve: jeans with small front pockets. I’ve put an old pair of denim in rotation from United Stock Dry Goods and the front pockets really suck, as in they have no depth. I don’t know if this was a cost saving measure or just poorly thought out. Pretty much all my other jeans have decently deep pockets. Any of you experience this? 

Oh, I did email them and they agreed with my question which was basically "Doesn't Cone only make stuff in China and MX...and isn't the selvedge only in China?" - as well as saying they would put more information in future posts whatever that means. 

In general they're clear that they use fabrics from a variety of mills (as a lot of custom shops do) - often they're more specific about provenance. But there's no question this stuff isn't White Oak - as for why mention it - well, the only think I can think of is the association of a sort of "authenticity" of the Cone they do offer - but who knows. I've seen other brands do this too - but I was a little bummed Companion did since I generally respect what they make a lot - and wanted to see what impression other folks got from that. One of the jackets I have from them that I bought years ago is a standard White Oak selvedge - it was the one White Oak piece I got around when the mill shut down.

I’ve got one for you all…

Have a look at this image I was sent. 
And now, try and tell me what size the waist is (In inches)? 

You can give me a range if you like?

(there is a point to this) 

985C16DE-C466-4F17-B74A-4470C8D0F261.png

Edited by UkeNo

Waist looks like 33” measured how they’re measuring it, so probably 34” or 34 1/2” total circumference (I think both versions of the measurement are useful and say different things about how the jeans will fit)

/

I find it way more useful to measure thighs a little higher, but thigh measurements never really seem to tell the full story either way

20 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

Waist looks like 33” measured how they’re measuring it, so probably 34” or 34 1/2” total circumference (I think both versions of the measurement are useful and say different things about how the jeans will fit)

/

I find it way more useful to measure thighs a little higher, but thigh measurements never really seem to tell the full story either way

Thanks.
A buyer on eBay is seeking a refund after stating I’ve mis-sold them by listing the wrong measurements. 
these are the photos he sent as “proof” that I’d listed them incorrectly, commenting that the waist (according to him) measures only 31” not 33” as I’d stated, They are a tag 34. 

My listing stated they were 33” measured using the BIG method. He contacted me confirm this and agreed on measuring BIG style  

He then also claimed the thigh is only 10”, not the 12” I measured. 

I just wanted to check I wasn’t going crazy. I’ve never had any issues measuring correctly and selling with said measurements. Sadly he didn’t do any homework and now it’s my fault. 
He did also mention that he’d need to loose 3 stones to fit into them, which realistically means he was never going to be able to wear them regardless of them being a 33 or 31” waist :)

I Love eBay ;)

Edited by UkeNo
Removed the word ‘statement’ for the 89th time

That is pretty low for most standard thigh measurements but it seems like this guy is just going to measure wherever he can to get the measurements that prove that you're wrong. that sucks. eBay probably will side with him. I had a guy once buy a pair of pants from me, didnt say a word about having an issue,  tried to resell it again bc it didnt fit a few weeks later, and then when it didnt sell, he somehow complained that I sold him a pair the was modified and got his money back. so awesome. 

Yup it sucks!.. i sold a top a while ago, I described it perfectly, provided great photographs with the tape measure showing length, sleeve, shoulders, pits ect.. with an additional note of actual dimensions in metric and imperial, photographed the size label.. dude sent me an offer with a note saying "i'm not paying for the postage" i accepted the offer and he complained because "i had" added the postage costs when he said he wasn't paying it.. i went on to explain that it's fully automated and i can either click 'accept offer' or click 'refuse offer' but i can't alter the price..  but if you want.. send me your PP address and i'll reimburse the £6.50 (which i did) .. I posted it the next day as i always do and it arrived the following day.. he said it was way too small but my listing said i didn't accept returns.. i said i gave you all the information you needed to make the correct decision regarding the size i can't do anymore than that.. i can accept a return if you think this item was not as described or does not fit the item description.. he said it wasn't his fault that it didn't fit?.. so i said "if you bought a pair of shoes in size 6 knowing you was a size 9 and they didn't fit who's fault would that be? I pride myself on providing a fantastic service but i can't be held responsible for sizing decissions you make.. if you want to plead your case to ebay, please be my guest but i'm not accepting an offer £60 below asking price, reimbursing the postsge and then paying for your return.. he didn't but left me neg feed instead.. neg feed for describing and photographing perfectly, shipping the next day and reimbursing the postage costs.. what a cnut! he was called Paul from Chesterfield.. no one has been christened Paul for 40yrs he had 395 feedback score so it's not like he's a clueless n00b..

In the past i would have bent over backwards to maintain my perfect sellers record but i'm just getting less tolerant of this kind of bollocks!

There’s a Doberman at my local park called Kevin and a Whippet called Tony. 

Couldn’t call a dog Neal though, it would confuse it.

Human: “Neal sit”

Neal the dog: “Make your mind up, kneel or sit?”

*** I’m not sure how a dog could kneel***

Funnily enough, on Tuesday my son told me he heard one of the first years (Yr 7) at school calling over to his friend Martin. He said that’s the first young person he’s ever heard called it!

Edited by Maynard Friedman

Agree @youngofthesoonest and @Double 0 Soul that regardless of how many details you provide and how careful you are with the details, some people just don’t care to check and feel they've been wronged  regardless. 

Buyer protection is one thing but it’s now gone too far the other way. Sad times ;)

thanks for your replies everyone. 

(if it helps (it doesn’t) I’ve given him a good dressing down, whilst being very polite on eBay messenger  - small wins!) 

Edited by UkeNo

Retailers should start taking modern body shapes into account and provide sizing charts  with allowance for fat-cuntiness.. i’mean.. to give these buyers the benefit of the doubt, they might be a 40” chest.. heck they might even be a 32” waist but no allowance has been given for the 40” of belly fat they have protruding beyond the waistline.. think of it as the new thigh measurement.

Y’know, I’ve been to Chesterfield.. I’ve seen this egg on legs phenomenon popular with the masses..