Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

1 hour ago, shredwin_206 said:

Yes I did. I’ve known Evan from HH for a while. He’s one of the nicest and most knowledgeable people I’ve met on the denim world 

Yeah when I lived in NC before the Navy I had him hem a few pairs I no longer have.  I remember when they were Gate City Goods in the little shop.  Evan loves denim.  Man I miss Greensboro sometimes.  A real gem of a city.

100000% annoyed that I sent a pair of Warehouse in to a shop for a hem/chainstitch and they came back wrong (one leg half an inch longer than the other). Twice. Just brought them to my local alterations place and no longer even care about the Union Special used on the original mess ups.

It's happened @Dr_Heech.. just as you predicted

On the last day of school.. unbeknown to me, my kid said  "Mum, can you get me some baggy ass jeans for tomorrow, i'm going to a party" what?.. tomorrow??.. erm.. i can probably get you a pair from H&M.. which she did and he wore them with his AJ1s and Eastlogue hoodie.. He looked pretty dope! .. they were a good cut for him, albeit shoddy af!

I said what the hell, i sat you down only a couple of months ago to refresh your wardrobe and suggested jeans, you said "i hate jeans, they're uncomfortable"  he said "well, i can change my mind".. fair enough, i'm not complaing.. then last night after tea he said the magic words.. "Dad, you know a thing or two about clothing don't you".. i certainly do, what do you want to know?.. tell me what you know about Stussy.. i'll not bore you with the deets but this went on for f'kin ages, i think he lost interest after i started quoting White Men Can't Jump :D.. 40mins of streetwear history later he said "cool, tell me about Gucci?" sorry i know fk'all about Gucci... but y'know, it's a start.

On 12/30/2023 at 1:25 PM, LazyS said:

^ I think he got his info wrong on the first toad ep and had to redo it in season 3

That redone toad episode was one of my favourites, it was great!..  the ultra lsd was brilliant too, i read about Amanda Feilding years ago.. also liked the guy in the devil costume from the meth episode, really charismatic

Edited by Double 0 Soul

I found them all, early series on Dailymotion and later series on Vimeo.. it certaily beats the garbage you find on tv in the UK... I also watched Beats, Rhymes & Life last week, the ATCQ docu, it starts off great but i had to turn it off 3/4 thru because the bickering between q-tip and phife was just beyond annoying.

Has anyone ever done a clinical drug trial?

As an adult, i've been to the doctors less than 5x in 30yrs and this was for minor ailments, i've never even had a day off sick (apart from that day at work when i ate homemade space cakes :ph34r:) ..

..i've been contacted by my local surgery on behalf of Oxford University who're looking for 14 volunteers for our age group 40-50 who're fit and healthy with no history of medical conditions to conduct a study into developing a vaccine against Salmonella Paratyphi A. basically Typhoid.. i don't get paid as such but they will reimburse me for 'inconvenience' and my travel expenses to and from Oxford up to the sum of £3600.. it could be quite interesting if i'm not busy at work.
Edited by Double 0 Soul

14 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:
Has anyone ever done a clinical drug trial?

As an adult, i've been to the doctors less than 5x in 30yrs and this was for minor ailments, i've never even had a day off sick (apart from that day at work when i ate homemade space cakes :ph34r:) ..

..i've been contacted by my local surgery on behalf of Oxford University who're looking for 14 volunteers for our age group 40-50 who're fit and healthy with no history of medical conditions to conduct a study into developing a vaccine against Salmonella Paratyphi A. basically Typhoid.. i don't get paid as such but they will reimburse me for 'inconvenience' and my travel expenses to and from Oxford up to the sum of £3600.. it could be quite interesting if i'm not busy at work.

I've worked as a consultant to the pharmaceutical industry for almost 30 years. Taking part in a clinical trial is really important and I always encourage people to take part.

The big thing is the amount of time it takes. Not just the travelling to and from assessments, but also potentially lots of time spent waiting in a clinic or trial facility and lots of, frankly, interminable forms to be completed. I'd ask questions about the protocol (the process and method by which the trial is being run) and what is expected, time-wise, of participants. Often when trials are set up now, people time how long every stage will take.

You might also want to know the stage the medicine is at. Phase 1 tends to mean early stage with small groups of participants. Phase 3 are the really large studies that are needed before drugs get regulatory approval. 

Vaccine trials can be wonderfully chill. You give informed consent, you get the jab or a placebo version, and get followed up over a long period because they have to wait until enough people in the trial have come down with the disease to see if the vaccine worked. 

Scrolling down here there's a list of good questions to ask. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/clinical-trials

On 1/4/2024 at 12:50 AM, quaranteneuf said:

100000% annoyed that I sent a pair of Warehouse in to a shop for a hem/chainstitch and they came back wrong (one leg half an inch longer than the other). Twice. Just brought them to my local alterations place and no longer even care about the Union Special used on the original mess ups.

That's painful! 

I'm still very much a novice, but when I was even more of a novice a couple of years ago I sent a pair of At Last & Co jeans to an alterations company (that will remain anonymous) and they came back looking, well, shite. Neglected the jeans since and barely worn them. Finally sent them out again to Clutch Cafe for a proper seeing to and looking forward to wearing them again. I've learnt my lesson.

It's a shame you had a bad experience at a place that was willing enough to invest in the best tools but then use terrible workmanship!

7 hours ago, StuartM said:

I've worked as a consultant to the pharmaceutical industry for almost 30 years. Taking part in a clinical trial is really important and I always encourage people to take part.

The big thing is the amount of time it takes. Not just the travelling to and from assessments, but also potentially lots of time spent waiting in a clinic or trial facility and lots of, frankly, interminable forms to be completed. I'd ask questions about the protocol (the process and method by which the trial is being run) and what is expected, time-wise, of participants. Often when trials are set up now, people time how long every stage will take.

You might also want to know the stage the medicine is at. Phase 1 tends to mean early stage with small groups of participants. Phase 3 are the really large studies that are needed before drugs get regulatory approval. 

Vaccine trials can be wonderfully chill. You give informed consent, you get the jab or a placebo version, and get followed up over a long period because they have to wait until enough people in the trial have come down with the disease to see if the vaccine worked. 

Scrolling down here there's a list of good questions to ask. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/clinical-trials

Thanks Stu.. yep, it sounds like a positive thing to be part of.. trialing a vaccine against typhoid would be even more beneficial (or at least comparable) to my work trialing the Gillette Mach3 :)

It's a 14mth trial but i only have to visit Oxford twice.. maybe three times, everything else is conducted at my local NHS trust which is a short walk from my work. I was given this link to read https://trials.ovg.ox.ac.uk/trials/vasp-sheffield along with an email from my GP ..

My only doubts.. my wife is immunocompromised, would i be contagious?

Edited by Double 0 Soul

17 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Thanks Stu.. yep, it sounds like a positive thing to be part of.. trialing a vaccine against typhoid would be even more beneficial (or at least comparable) to my work trialing the Gillette Mach3 :)

It's a 14mth trial but i only have to visit Oxford twice.. maybe three times, everything else is conducted at my local NHS trust which is a short walk from my work. I was given this link to read https://trials.ovg.ox.ac.uk/trials/vasp-sheffield along with an email from my GP ..

My only doubts.. my wife is immunocompromised, would i be contagious?

IANAD...

Digging into the full protocol, I think you would not be able to take part. A stated exclusion criteria is: 

• Close household contact with young children or individuals who are immunocompromised (including pregnancy).

https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/13/5/e068966.long

Edited by StuartM

5Yrs ago when i became a full time cycle-commuter, i bought a Gorewear Shakedry (incredible material) .. one of my friends was nagging me because of how environmentally damaging it was.. unbeknows to me.. 'Shakedry' was due to be discontinued because of it's use of flurinated polymers which also exist in phone screens.. cosmetics and whatev's else

I tread this today https://heatmap.news/lifestyle/raincoats-pfas-gore-tex-patagonia-rei?utm_source=pocket-newtab-en-gb

It looks like the entire outdoor industry are finally distancing themselves from waterproof materials

^^ "It is also because of this bond that PFAS are so stubbornly persistent — in the environment, certainly, but also in us. An estimated 98% to 99% of people have traces of PFAS in their bodies. Researchers have found the molecules in breast milk, rainwater, and Antarctica’s snow. We inhale them in dust and drink them in our tap water, and because they look a little like a fatty acid to our bodies, they can cause health problems that we’re only beginning to grasp. So far, PFAS have been linked to kidney and testicular cancer, decreased fertility, elevated cholesterol, weight gain, thyroid disease, the pregnancy complication pre-eclampsia, increased risk of preterm birth and low birth weight, hormone interference, and reduced vaccine response in children"

All good healthy stuff!

Edited by Double 0 Soul

This has been an ancillary part of my study this year. It's terrifying shit, honestly. We're never going to recover from it, and we're too young to know the effects from it. If you need another argument for both buying less shit, and only buying natural materials, here we go. https://www.veronicabateskassatly.com/read/was-it-polyester-all-along 

And try as I might I cannot keep this stuff out of my own house. 

Convenience is the biggest drug. 

Neal, as a potential willing guinea pig to increase big pharma’s profits via drug trials, I thought you’d have been well up for having all sorts of damaging crap put into your body 🤣