Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Hi Hollow, you were requesting for more pictures of Phigvel Engineer Boots. I have a pair for a while now. Took some evolution photos of them today. I have to brighten the photos because of the indoor shots but the color is pretty spot on under the sun.

This is the only pair of Engineers that I have so can't really comment much on anything else except that the fading of the leather from a dark chocolate brown to light natural tone is pretty phenomenal. The color depth(variation) throughout the boots cannot be justified by the photos alone. 

EngineerBoots.jpg

BootsHeel.jpg

BootsShaft.jpg

Edited by Vanquish Gold

Can't imagine this is news to many, but I contacted Viberg over the past couple of days about a potential custom order (glutton for punishment after last time). They informed me they no longer accept orders for single pairs. No Canadian wedding boots for me. 

Hmm, red and white leather, I don't think the bride would approve.

Nothing that exotic. Service boot on 310 last in a nice brown leather. Whatever I could get made in time. All a bit academic.

Anyone got other suggestions? Otherwise I'll have to brave Trickers.

Did my quarterly shoe conditioning today:

v8mqgDB.jpg

v4gIWfv.jpg

2m0I2Du.jpg

Left to right, Sendra 1692 - Red Wing 2268 - Red Wing 9027 (these will be sent to a Red Wing shop to be resoled 2268 style soon) - Red Wing 595

Not pictured: RW 3143 suede chukka. Also, need black cowboy boots and some kind of work boot (semi-dress style) to round things off ^^

Edited by Cucoo

All the folks who use Denimbro have seen these already, but I realized I never posted these here. This is a selection of some of the vintage engineer boots I have. I originally posted the pics to show the different toe shapes across different eras.

12549431553_403056840d_z.jpg

12549788024_d135d81ba4_z.jpg

40s era unbranded brown pair on the left, and 50s era deadstock Red Wings on the right.

12549791384_7816482d1d_z.jpg

50s or 60s era pair only marked as "Rancher" on the left, and 50s or 60s (maybe even 70s) era Sears on the right.

12549794614_a974e63368_z.jpg

40s or 50s era Penney's Foremost on the left, and 50s or 60s era Chippewa on the right.

12549796444_d576ea14fb_z.jpg

Unbranded 40s or 50s pair on the left, and 70s era Sears on the right.

12549445553_b821b59a20_z.jpg

Montgomery Ward Blue Band boots from the 40s on the left, and deadstock 40s Chippewa on the right.

The dates are all estimates based on all of the features present on each pair, and the takeaway for me is that their is really no one feature that indicates a date for a pair of engineer boots (short of a tag and a confirmed product number cross referenced in a catalog).

great stuff Maynard. how does AS compare to Tricker's, quality wise, in your experience?

In the past I would have said Tricker's quality was slightly better than AS, now they're probably equal. A lot depends on the leather choice on the style you like.

Both makers use different leather across their range, which ages differently. I love Marron and Acorn antique although I'm not certain how well it ages. The leather on Maynard's Dumfries, and my brogues, isn't as translucent as on the Stowe, but it doesn't seem to crack like the Stowe; yet I know Tricker's use that same leather on, IIRC, the Keswick.

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...