Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

They both look ok as far as I'm concerned, the first less formal and the second a bit like a beefed-up chukka boot. Depends what you want to wear them for in terms of choice but I'd happily wear either pair.

Just picked up a pair of RW 8130, went pretty snug (7.5) to account for stretching and the 8's felt too roomy. Do you gain any length at all when the leather softens up? Noticed my toes nudging up against the front when walking down a slight slope, feels a bit less than ideal although I can def live with it.

Ray do you have any shots of a worn-in Phigvel boot?  I don't think I've seen any, but the leather they use looks *really* nice.

Hollows I will do my best to take some shots for you this week. The leather is really nice. It's a mid-weight horsehide, but it's surprisingly stiff and oily. A lot of interesting grain character too.

hey Rayw44, I think you had to pre-order for those; site of Hickorees shows them as sold out

Slab they are making that model a recurring option I believe, so there should be another pre-order in the next few months.

Just picked up a pair of RW 8130, went pretty snug (7.5) to account for stretching and the 8's felt too roomy. Do you gain any length at all when the leather softens up? Noticed my toes nudging up against the front when walking down a slight slope, feels a bit less than ideal although I can def live with it.

doubtful that length will increase at all.  best to get the 8 and fill the room with a thin insole if needed

Hoggreaser - thanks for the info on Foot Monkey - great find! 

I like the 2nd pair you posted a LOT! Not fond of the first pair, as I'm not a fan of that sole type. 

FYI (in case you don't already know) - that tassel is a lace-in tongue guard, but appears decorative on that boot. as I understand it, comes from boots worn by real smoke jumpers and lumber jacks, as a means of protecting the lower section of the tongue from getting dirt and debris in there. I had them on my White's SJ, but eventually took them out. When I got them rebuilt, they sent along a new set, and I've to put them in. Mixed feelings about the look... 

mich still holds man awaiting who wants?

Thanks buddy, if the brown dress leather gets a green light i'm in.

Otherwise i'm considering Wesco Boss, as they are far more customizable..

mich still holds man awaiting who wants?

Ed I am holding out for only the brown dress leather also. If that's not available, I'll pass.

I am seriously in love with the natural brown showing through the black.. which is pretty common with both chromexcel

and mexcel leather.. right?

Vanquish this happens with any black leather that is veg tanned and not dyed all the way through. You can tell when you see a cross section of the leather. If it is black only on the outside with a brown or tan interior, it will fade that way. If it is black all the way through or more of a silver/white on the inside, it will not fade that way.

Also, chromexcel is a type of leather. Mexcel is not a thing.

Mexcel is a thing, it's a cheaper chrome retanned leather that's popped up to compete with chromexcel (a natural step since cxl is so expensive and Horween is so...challenging...to deal with).  Nick's is using it but not White's as far as I know.  I think the term was coined by Nick's so other makers using the same leather would likely call it something else.

I haven't handled it yet though, so can't speak to quality or differences.

Mixture those are looking very good indeed. That's a great looking toe shape as well, comfy..

I haven't entirely admired the Visvim heel piece before but on those I don't mind it.

Were the toe taps after fit? Haven't seen them used on a sole like that before.

It's really comfy, the TPU heel isn't for everyone. I thinkit adds a unique touch to the boots.

Those aren't toe taps, it's a welt attachment to keep the front sole from separating. 

Edited by Mixture

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...