Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

I was wondering if I could get some opinions from thise who own a pair of White's, specifically the Semi Dress boots. I recently sent in my foot measurements/tracing - that paper that White's sends you in their catalog - I sent that in to Baker's for sizing advice on a pair of Horse Hide SD. I also included my shoe size in a bunch of other shoes for their reference. Anyway, they called me back last night while I was at work, so I had to let it go to voicemail. But evidently my size is 11C. This just doesn't sound right to me at all. Every other pair of boots I own is an 11E or 11EE and I also wear a wide width in New Balance shoes. Do White's run naturally wide, or..? I value their taking the time and effort to size me up, and I plan on giving them a call after the holidays, but I wanted to get some thoughts here as well.

image.jpg

Always wanted a pair of engineer boots, but thought it was kinda silly to wear them if I didn't have a motorcycle... Same with the classic black leather jacket, seemed too tied to riding to just wear for looks... So now I have a bike, and some boots. These are vintage late 70s Harley Davidson made by chippewa... Loving them.

I was wondering if I could get some opinions from thise who own a pair of White's, specifically the Semi Dress boots. I recently sent in my foot measurements/tracing - that paper that White's sends you in their catalog - I sent that in to Baker's for sizing advice on a pair of Horse Hide SD. I also included my shoe size in a bunch of other shoes for their reference. Anyway, they called me back last night while I was at work, so I had to let it go to voicemail. But evidently my size is 11C. This just doesn't sound right to me at all. Every other pair of boots I own is an 11E or 11EE and I also wear a wide width in New Balance shoes. Do White's run naturally wide, or..? I value their taking the time and effort to size me up, and I plan on giving them a call after the holidays, but I wanted to get some thoughts here as well.

I would suggest you re-do the tracings and measurements and make sure they are correct.... Like the old woodworking rule - "measure twice, cut once." I had to do this with my custom russell moccasin order to get it completely right.

White's most definitely measured me too small.  I would get a pair of try on boots to be sure if I were you.

I'm in a situation like that... Need to put some shoes up for sale

325 shipped For both

9.5 in the Alden and 9 in the whites

If you are interested in one and not the other let me know!

Also open to--reasonable--offers. I have a new pair of laces for the Alden's which will be put on at the request of the buyer

Thanks y'all!

E33E5254-BA6A-4887-B7E9-16123C1902A5_zps

Edited by wgmds

image.jpg

Always wanted a pair of engineer boots, but thought it was kinda silly to wear them if I didn't have a motorcycle... Same with the classic black leather jacket, seemed too tied to riding to just wear for looks... So now I have a bike, and some boots. These are vintage late 70s Harley Davidson made by chippewa... Loving them.

I love that you didn't call them "50s" or "horsehide" or any of the other garbage people always jump to anytime they find any pair of boots with a little age on them.

The 70s HD boots are still really nice, and they are a good example of a real value in a pair of vintage engineers. They share lots of features with the late 60s models, but they regularly sell for way less. After you beat the hell out of them for a couple years you can resole them with stacked leather heels and they look even better.

I'm in a situation like that... Need to put some shoes up for sale

325 shipped For both

9.5 in the Alden and 9 in the whites

If you are interested in one and not the other let me know!

Also open to--reasonable--offers. I have a new pair of laces for the Alden's which will be put on at the request of the buyer

Thanks y'all!

E33E5254-BA6A-4887-B7E9-16123C1902A5_zps

I'm in. Did send you an PM

So I might get negged all to hell for this, but I was wondering if anyone has any good things to say about the made in england docs? I know they aren't the typical boot worn around here, but I've always liked the 1460 and I hear the MIE version wears in very nicely.

No shoes to show yet but I'm thinking of picking up some of Ron Rider's chukkas, however, I'm a bit hesitant as apparently there aren't too many decent cobblers who know how to resole the blake/rapid construction.

So my question is, does anyone know of any good cobbler that is able to do so?

So... I will post my bucos here when they're looking better with age (check rmc thread for new pics!)

In the meantime, anyone have care tips or can give me a link to some? Horsehair brush, shoe trees, etc? Want to treat these things right!

Hogg: Oh, is it?  That's good to hear then. So would it be fine if I sent them to someone who would normally do goodyear shoe repairs a la shoehealer? I ask because it seems, from the reviews I've read, a lot of local cobblers here just glue the sole on and think that's that...

Maynard: I'm in the states but truth be told I just assume I'm going to send out all my shoes/boots to be repaired as I'm a bit leery about some of the local shoe services here (see above).

Ben check the last few pages for some general advice on shoe care from Hogg, myself and others. Generally you don't need to baby these. Just wear them, wipe them off with a damp rag when they get dirty, and brush with a horsehair brush often.

You can treat them when they feel extra dry with something simple like neatsfoot oil (check the ingredients to make sure there isn't anything nasty like silicone in it). Treat them less often than you think you should, and you can use shoe trees if you want but you don't need to.

Where are you based ALB? William Lennon in the UK has a Blake/rapid stitch machine and will carry out resoling, as does Lastrite in New Zealand. Not sure about anywhere in between though!

It won't be too much closer than NZ but another place is the 'Harold Boot Company' in Melbourne. I'm not sure if they accept resoles but they do have the same machine.

Edit: They also have some nice little blurbs of the process on their site:

http://www.haroldboot.com.au/constr

Edited by theotherchrislewis

So I might get negged all to hell for this, but I was wondering if anyone has any good things to say about the made in england docs? I know they aren't the typical boot worn around here, but I've always liked the 1460 and I hear the MIE version wears in very nicely.

I have a pair of the 1461, these to be exact (which are marked down a good amount) 

http://www.drmartens.com/us/Mens/1461/p/16073220

They are holding up nicely after several months wear, no quality issues.  Very comfortable and broke in very nicely. I think you get a lot of bang for you buck compared to the regular docs.

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...