Levi's Vintage Clothing

31 minutes ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Please remind me, what’s the title of this thread? :P 

Need to be sure repros are accurate - I don't think they had little dots in 1976, ha, ha!

Edited by Dry

54 minutes ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Please remind me, what’s the title of this thread? :P 

You don't need to be reminded of the title of this thread Martin, unless our fears of early dementia have started to set in - tbh it was more of a tongue in cheek dig at @Dry for keep posting his vintage Levis in the wrong thread :laugh:

16 hours ago, Dry said:

15 hours ago, Dr_Heech said:

You don't need to be reminded of the title of this thread Martin, unless our fears of early dementia have started to set in - tbh it was more of a tongue in cheek dig at @Dry for keep posting his vintage Levis in the wrong thread :laugh:

Currently wearing these LVC 551ZXXs on a daily basis. I'm unaware of a vintage Levis thread. 

IMG_20230819_0823423.jpg

Edited by Dry

1 hour ago, Facini said:

What is the consensus on LVC '44 repros from around 2003? Which i am supposing is from either San Antonio or Valencia Street? @Dr_Heech, would you happen to have any experience with a pair from  this era?

My experience  -

I have owned 2 pairs of the 555 WW2 lvc (and worn both) and owned (but not worn) one pair from 2005 (the ones with the orange stripey shirt material pockets). I have also owned (briefly, but never wore em) a pair from 2003 (554's) but sold them as l wasn't happy with the details and fit.

My opinion is that the better quality/more accurate repro was the aforementioned 2005 shirt pocket model(8/10). In 2nd place is the 555 pairs (7/10) and in 3rd was the 554 pair (6/10). Never experienced the 643M pair - not sure if there was one.

The models from 2008 and 2009 are pretty poor imo (2/10 and 3/10).

Last pair of lvc l bought new was the 2010 s501xx: Cone denim, green herringbone pockets and thick leather patch (5/10). Still have these but rarely wear

Obviously l turn to other brands now for my current WW2 fix.

7 hours ago, crownzip said:

Hi Doc,

Agree with you on the 2005 shirt pocket '44's. Also, the old LVC Japan '44's are quite exceptional.

Curious, which brands are you digging these days for your WW2 fix? 

Hey Grant, I currently have a pair of CSF WW2 which l purchased off of @beautiful_FrEaK - they have denim front pockets and are based off a pair of S501XX from the 501XX book. Really beautiful details - there are some pics in the CSF thread. 

Also got my eye on the forthcoming Sugarcane WW2 with the flannel front pockets - again, a pair from the book is identical so would be nice to cop those (details and price pending). There's a video about it in the SC thread.

• 3 weeks later...

As far as I’m aware that’s week 39 of 1987, so late September/early October’87. Levi’s did have a factory in the UK (Scotland) in the 1980s and I think the factory code was 299, which matches that stamped on the back of the top button. So, a legitimate pair of UK-made 501s from 1987 seems right to me.

1 hour ago, Maynard Friedman said:

As far as I’m aware that’s week 39 of 1987, so late September/early October’87. Levi’s did have a factory in the UK (Scotland) in the 1980s and I think the factory code was 299, which matches that stamped on the back of the top button. So, a legitimate pair of UK-made 501s from 1987 seems right to me.

Wow, very impressive. Many thanks!

Can anyone share their experience sizing Levi’s standard 501 STF vs LVC 501s?

I recently got a pair of standard stfs (36 waist) and surprised that so far they still fit larger than my 55 LVCs (36 waist - Made in Japan) and my 47 LVCs (expected for the 47s given how slim they are).
I regularly machine wash, usually weekly. Interested to see what others experiences have been...

1 hour ago, Hoohoodunit said:

Can anyone share their experience sizing Levi’s standard 501 STF vs LVC 501s?

I recently got a pair of standard stfs (36 waist) and surprised that so far they still fit larger than my 55 LVCs (36 waist - Made in Japan) and my 47 LVCs (expected for the 47s given how slim they are).
I regularly machine wash, usually weekly. Interested to see what others experiences have been...

Hi Hoohoo. I think at this thread are couple of experts of LVC, Levi's... Dr H and Mr. Friedman and others (guru Paul T), which can answer you better. But for to help you and answer well, is important to know if you compare new STF as not wash, or washed, with LVC you own. And if those LVC are washed, or no. If your new STF are already washed, wash them again and if the result will not be successful, use also drying machine.....

3 hours ago, vIGGiou riou said:

Hi Hoohoo. I think at this thread are couple of experts of LVC, Levi's... Dr H and Mr. Friedman and others (guru Paul T), which can answer you better. But for to help you and answer well, is important to know if you compare new STF as not wash, or washed, with LVC you own. And if those LVC are washed, or no. If your new STF are already washed, wash them again and if the result will not be successful, use also drying machine.....

Thanks! All are purchased raw/unwashed and I was comparing measurements post-wash*

On 9/13/2023 at 1:53 PM, Maynard Friedman said:

Exactly right. Those are also so obviously the ring/OE Denim - which actually isn't bad and has that lovely stripey colour when new. A lot of work went into those jeans, a new fabric, and they retooled to try to get back to the right shape pocket etc. The main factory was Whitburn. And at the time, wherever in the world they were made, the fabric was always Cone from White Oak. Then in the 90s, Cone was only exclusive to raw denim and the die was cast . 

Phil Marineau, who joined from Pepsi, closed Whitburn around the time he closed Battery street , and got a $25m pay check for the year. 

Edited by Paul T

Thanks Paul, according to Wikipedia:

The town (of Whitburn) was once the site of Levi Strauss & Co., the clothing manufacturer. The plant opened in 1969, employing a work force of over 500 local people. At its height, the plant was producing 4 million pairs of jeans in a year. The plant shut its doors in December 1999.

I have a pair of MIJ 66’s (lot 0146) does anyone have a pair and what was the real world shrinkage, the tags quote 10%

Raw measurements size 34x34

Waist: 17”

Hip: 23”

Front rise: 11.75”

Back rise: 15.75”

Inseam: 33.5

Thigh: 13”

Knee: 10”

Leg opening: 8.5”

Edited by bod

On 5/6/2023 at 11:55 PM, generic_guy said:

I am looking at a type one jacket on eBay.

Seller says it it is from 2007, and that they believe it was made without a red tab. 

I believe Levis didn't start putting the tab on jackets until later, but having looked through catalogs I can't see a version without a red tab.

Jacket is labelled as made in Turkey but I suspect the tab has been removed by someone.

Anyone heard of a type one without a tab?

Can't find my 2007 catalogue but I've looked in the 2005, plus lots of later ones and all the Type 1s have a red tab including Turkish-made ones. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/25/2023 at 3:21 PM, bod said:

I have a pair of MIJ 66’s (lot 0146) does anyone have a pair and what was the real world shrinkage, the tags quote 10%

Raw measurements size 34x34

Waist: 17”

Hip: 23”

Front rise: 11.75”

Back rise: 15.75”

Inseam: 33.5

Thigh: 13”

Knee: 10”

Leg opening: 8.5”

Gave them my usual two hot agitated soaks, they didn’t lose much width wise, I’d probably go true to size in future

Raw / After two soaks (inches)

Waist: 17 / 16.5

Hip: 23 / 22.5

Front rise: 11.75 / 11

Back rise: 15.75 / 15

Inseam: 33.5 / 31

Thigh: 13 / 12.75

Knee: 10 / 9.6

Leg opening: 8.5 / 8.25

Edited by bod