Levi's Vintage Clothing

core business = quality, u.s. made raw denim. it was the foundation of the company for well over 100 yrs. LVC may be an offshoot, but product wise it IS closest to their traditional offerings. levis has long dabbled in sportswear but the core businsee remained well into the 80's. now there are so many lines and variations it can't help but overwhelm their manpower and resources. for instance they have been trying to sell dockers for years but with no takers. although i thought they had something with the original cramerton cloth k-1's. i have a pair from 98' and they're great.

I think the reality is that Core Business = most $$$, so that is unlikely to include LVC.

I think the reality is that Core Business = most $$$, so that is unlikely to include LVC.

no argument there. but why not put it under another brand/division. levis is a historic brand and history is full of examples of when you stray to far from your roots it will come back to bite you. an example to my thinking: levi's signature--there have always been bottom tier/low priced denim but levis left that market to someone else. oh sure they offered "budget" models but it was relative and the quality was there. levis signature can only cheapen the brand further (which the lower quality imports were already doing) and lower what the public expects as a price point. if you want to make jeans for wal-mart, why not call it something else and not invoke the levis name? and it's not just denim heads but regular consumers look at the comments of the regular 501/505 on amazon. these are regular people not enthusiasts and there are many complaints about fit, fabric overall quality. if regular levis were what they should be i wouldn't buy LVC but it is as close to the soul of the original i can buy new.

Nice pickup, baerts.

So.. that type III. Cone fabric? Interesting... those were always Kaihara, obviously Cone produce Sanforized, and did for the original, wonder if they're switching suppliers.

I hope to have a look at the new Made & Crafted season early in Feb. If you haven't seen it, do check out the thread.. You might still not like them, of course, but I did feel there is a distinct, coherent philosophy behind the line.

authenticity is one thing, but a lot of what LVC wants you to pay for is marketing hype. esp. in recent years. i have no problem with the core line with exception of the sizing issues and recent price hike but a lot of their stuff has very questionable lineage and sometimes quality/ country of origin issues. it was never perfect but i liked where lvc was 10 yrs. ago better than now. sorry but i do not like the made & crafted line. others may feel different but i do not see the heritage or value. how is it any different from say RRL?

LVCs 55 501 is almost dead on to originals anyway from a few years back they were. Denim weight, cut and details were dead on

@PaulT Thanks! Yeah, like I said, this is a sample the Matt built for LVC so the production Type III's very well may have ended up differently. He had a few in this fabric, and then a couple in another fabric that I'm not sure about. He insisted that he liked this one was best. I'm interested to see how it turns out. It's a great jacket.

The Made & Crafted looks really interesting to me. I love anything that is modern but highly influenced by vintage/classic measures. I'm not a purist to the point of shunning or not enjoying modern things, but I love the character that classic/vintage clothing has. And so, a line the melds those together (well) is very interesting.

Probably it sounds like there is some hating going on, but I do love LVC when they get it right, at any date.

5382137077_a30cefebb1_b.jpg

'40s 'Beat Brown' jacket from 2004 (not a new pic).

Nice jacket (earlier version?) and a good fit on you Roy6.

No hate, just had a bad day, too many J.D's and wanted to pick a fight. My bad.

(sorry guys)

Just picked up another pair of 2004 1901's in the correct measured size btw, so shows there is still love for me with Lvc.

LVCs 55 501 is almost dead on to originals anyway from a few years back they were. Denim weight, cut and details were dead on

i like the 55' i think it's one of their better models but the waist sizes have been all over the place for the last few years and to me that's ridiculous. forget that they're STF you could get jeans at a dollar store and have consistent sizing and at LVC prices it's unforgivable. i'm no tailor but surely it can't be that hard to have a size 38 measure 38 or if you make them oversize/undersize be consistent. i have bought them unaware of the change and soaked only to have them sagging and had to sell for a loss. and i bet i'm not the only one. now i ALWAYS ask for measurements up front before buying. experience bought and paid for.

Hmmmn, sizing issues, ridiculously cheap jean estimates, tailors... why is this sounding familiar?

Well, with sizing issues, the criticisms are bang-on. It's a constant irritation. For fairness, others are just as bad - the Edwin and Real McCOy Lees sizing is all over the place - but worst of all is the inconsistency from year to year. Plus the fact that if you're say, a 29 waist, it's just about impossible to get 1915 or 1955 in a small enough size.

Plus the fact that if you're say, a 29 waist, it's just about impossible to get 1915 or 1955 in a small enough size.

exactly my gripe with LVC denim; no love for the thin guys.

to me Levis has for years tried to be all things to all people. i wish they had focused more on their core business. personally i would have liked to seen them retire their historical lot #'s 501, 505 517 etc...for LVC use only and call the mass market offerings something else

Levi's core business is selling jeans to the masses. And they sell millions of 501s and 505s each year. I'd be willing to bet that the entire LVC run of raw jeans amounts to less than 100,000 pair a year, hell I wouldn't be suprised if it's under 50,000. I mean really, how many people are lined up to buy LVC, let alone the belt loopless models? Cultizm has had what's left of their larger size 1800s models on sale for months, no one's been biting, and it doesn't look they're restocking the smaller sizes.

LVC is a blip on Levi's radar. It has always had potential, and could easily be more successful than it is (and by more successful, I mean sell more pairs of jeans). But pricing and the lack of a website means the brand will never be much more than a novelty. Take it or leave it, because no amount of bitching is going to change it.

I agree. I don't really care that there's a lack of marketing and website. Actually, it's what drew me to this thread. There's enough vibrant, collective knowledge in this thread that could never be contained in a prettily-designed webpage.

But FWIW, I've seen some nice pieces in the M&C line, and PaulT posted those really beautiful trousers a while back. It's a line that does its own thing, and never claims to be more than that. I dig the shirt on the website with the buttons made from compressed oxford cloth.

I am still trying to find a place with those trousers. Are they even out yet. I noticed they didn't have pics up on their website.

I am still trying to find a place with those trousers. Are they even out yet. I noticed they didn't have pics up on their website.

There are rumors they will be opening a London showroom for M&C - if that's the case, chances are there will be a US outlet. I'll post of I hear anything definite. And of course I'll post if I find who's stocking those chinos.

X-post from my 66 diary. Compare for yourself:

030ft.jpg

I've tried to took similar pics from the LVC:

dsci0587k.jpg

dsci0591j.jpg

dsci0588l.jpg

dsci0599.jpg

dsci0598l.jpg

dsci0597.jpg

dsci0594q.jpg

dsci0595m.jpg

i have those japan 66's as well as the standard model. the japanese ones are v-stitched and have better detailing. better leather like patch, red tab that crinkles like originals, lemon yellow stitching. still i prefer the standard model. more comfortable cut and i like the cone denim. the japanese denim is VERY hairy and resembles 505 denim with a lot of striations that will produce vertical falling over time. the strange thing both pairs are 38/36 but everthing on the japanese model seems made to a smaller scale like 7/8 the original. the font on the patch, the red tab, the box stitch at the pocket corners all oddly small. the japanese ones are also slimmer in the leg with the smallest leg opening on any 501 i own. a nice pair of jeans but have a "replica" feel to them. i think the regular 66 501 is more authentic.

Is it acceptable to complain about/make fun of Bay vendors here?

My least favorite vendors dealing in LVC (at least partially):

3- the English lady that models all of the clothes herself, jackets down off her shoulders and unbuttoned to the waist, and wears nothing underneath but tarty, '80s looking lingerie. How are you suppose to tell how anything will fit, or even what it actually is?

Jeez lady, I'm buying stuff for myself, not for the cast of Benny Hill.

2- The Canadian person, "Oldladyclassics" or something, who prices everything at about twice what they were new and about 400% what they usually go for at Bay auction.

1- The Arizona seller who prices everything about two-three times what they were retail, and doesn't even bother to put up any pictures except one closeup of the tag! For instance, he has up a LVC '40s shorthorn shirt for, get this, $499! Probably went for around $150 originally.

Is this hyper-pricing because of the recent price hikes and because now there are flippers buying stuff at the Barney's sales and turning it around on the Bay?

Is it acceptable to complain about/make fun of Bay vendors here?

My least favorite vendors dealing in LVC (at least partially):

3- the English lady that models all of the clothes herself, jackets down off her shoulders and unbuttoned to the waist, and wears nothing underneath but tarty, '80s looking lingerie. How are you suppose to tell how anything will fit, or even what it actually is?

Jeez lady, I'm buying stuff for myself, not for the cast of Benny Hill.

2- The Canadian person, "Oldladyclassics" or something, who prices everything at about twice what they were new and about 400% what they usually go for at Bay auction.

1- The Arizona seller who prices everything about two-three times what they were retail, and doesn't even bother to put up any pictures except one closeup of the tag! For instance, he has up a LVC '40s shorthorn shirt for, get this, $499! Probably went for around $150 originally.

Is this hyper-pricing because of the recent price hikes and because now there are flippers buying stuff at the Barney's sales and turning it around on the Bay?

haha funny commentary 1) one bay vendor puts NO pictures up says to e-mail for pictures. who the hell does that? and his prices run unreasonably high. 2) i'd like to see the 80's lady! sounds fun, lingerie and LVC count me in.