Levi's Vintage Clothing

i need you guys advice on my new 55's... they feel a bit too roomy, and im not talking about the cut ( my 1917's are way more slack but the fit is right ), i'd really like to get a fit close to the one erk posted last week. problem is they are tts in the waist so is there some kind of mid-soak technique ?? (sorry i'm a total newbie to soaks)

i need you guys advice on my new 55's... they feel a bit too roomy, and im not talking about the cut ( my 1917's are way more slack but the fit is right ), i'd really like to get a fit close to the one erk posted last week. problem is they are tts in the waist so is there some kind of mid-soak technique ?? (sorry i'm a total newbie to soaks)

Any jeans I'm concerned about the waist on, I grab 'em at each hip belt loop and stretch the heck outta them while still wet from a soak or wash. Sometimes I put my heel at one side, then grab ahold of the other and stretch.

What do you mean? THat the seat is too large, but the waist is tight?

Hot-wash if necessary - check this thread for details and simply stretch the waist. AS mentioned, rather often, you can go with yrou actual waist size in 55, the waist will stretch out, and the seat, etc, will still be roomy.

i DID go with my actual waist size, so the waist is fine at the moment, it's the rest of the jean i'd like a bit more fitted.. i was just afraid if i screw up the soak that i wouldnt be able to button them up, but i guess i'll just need to stretch em out..

^^ lolz.. r u for real?!!

what about shrinkage..are the 55's really prone to that?

should i hot soak, cold soak?

Yes, I'm for real. And when completely shrunk, you'll lose two inches in the waist of your 55s.

55s are a fuller cut (if they were for sale in a department store they'd be marketed as "relaxed fit"). If you want a trimmer fit, buy some 66s.

Again i am perfectly aware of the 55's cut... i got them because i like the boxy 50's look... but there are different body types out there, which is why i'm considering shrink to fit.. 2 inches in the waist is a lot though, so i might just not mess with em..

My LVC 1947 501s. 1 year/2 washes/2 soaks

IMG_0742.jpg

Pretty happy with the top block so far. My favorite part is the faded outseam on the left, which is the result of my disc golf bag rubbing against my leg.

IMG_0743.jpg

IMG_0744.jpg

Two rivets have broken through!

IMG_0745.jpg

Fit pic:

58890_1387239722407_1274460044_903264_8197697_n.jpg

^^not on my body type. I don't want something super skinny, just a tad slimmer. Here's a pic of how my 47's fit.

DSC_0314.jpg

It's difficult to see how those fit you, but if you're looking for something slimmer without sacrificing valuable room in the waist you should probably consider the '54s or '67s. The '54s are fucking slim, a little too much so. They've a lower rise and serious taper. The '67s are slimmer than the '66s in the top block, seat, and upper thigh. I currently have '44s, '47s, '54s, '55s, '66s, and '67s, all in the same size, and those two cuts are definitely the slimmest. Hope this helps.

My LVC 1947 501s. 1 year/2 washes/2 soaks

IMG_0742.jpg

Pretty happy with the top block so far. My favorite part is the faded outseam on the left, which is the result of my disc golf bag rubbing against my leg.

IMG_0743.jpg

IMG_0744.jpg

Two rivets have broken through!

IMG_0745.jpg

These look excellent. nice work! +rep.

^^not on my body type. I don't want something super skinny, just a tad slimmer. Here's a pic of how my 47's fit.

DSC_0314.jpg

Those look like they've had one soak?

Try soaking once more and pulling them up higher, see how that does.

The '47s are slimmer in the thigh with a mostly straight lower leg, the '66s and '54s have a bit more room in the thigh and then are tapered down the leg, I think.

Look at PaulTs 501 guide in his signature, if you really want to give up on the '47s so soon.

The '54s have a pretty slim upper thigh. But yeah, the '66s have a little more room up top than the '47s do. They also feature a slightly lower rise than that of the '47s, which may not be what you're looking for. Honestly, I think those '47s you have are pretty slim as it is, and I'm not sure that you'll find anything much slimmer that will look good. I'd try the '67s. Not only is the cut nice, the fabric is great and fades beautifully.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Very helpful as usual.

roy They've had two really hot soaks, so I think most of the shrinkage is gone. I'm not giving up on the 47's, just trying to decide what to get for my next pair.

dr.house I don't have any semblance of an ass so it looks like they're sagging a lot more than they are. Plus my beer belly prevents them from being pulled up further. Time to hit the gym I suppose.

I love my 47's, but want a slightly slimmer fit for my next pair. Is the 55 slimmer? I've searched but can't find the answer I'm looking for. Vinn? Paul? What cut should I go with?

The 55 is certainly not slimmer - it has a much larger top block:

More on the visual guide..

If you haven't hot-washed those 47, you can get at least another inch off the waist. The 66 501 is a more tapered cut than the 47 - thus you can get a skinnier silhouette if you size-down severely and stretch out the waist. I don't think I'd do this unless I could try the jeans in question - I'd want a bit of slack around the thighs and crotch, but wouldn't worry if the waist fitted as normal. It's easy to stretch the waist - if it's the thighs are tight raw that you have to worry. THen again, you could get much the same effect with the 47 if you size down more than you have.

IN any case, though, those 47 look like they have a fair bit more shrinkage to go.

Try soaking once more and pulling them up higher, see how that does.

That was the first thing I noticed, they're riding too low. Give 'em a hot soak/wash, and pull 'em up where they belong, and you'll probably fill the thighs out better.

Thanks again for the suggestions everyone. As I stated above, my beer belly and lack of an ass makes them look like they're sagging much more than they actually are. I think I'll take everyone's advice and give them another hot soak.

Actually, as they right now, they'd look fine if they could just sit a hair higher on the waist. I don't think you'd want them any slimmer. You and I have a similiar build, and I find the higher the jeans sit, the better.