Levi's Vintage Clothing

Got a pair of ’44s on half off sale. Loving the high waist but still somewhat slim silhouette.

Mesuraments pre and post a 50-60c 1h soak and 40c wash (in centimetres).

Size 31x32

waist: 44 / 40,5

thigh: 27 / 26

leg: 83 / 77

leg opening: 22,5 / 22

front rise: 32 / 31

back rise 42 / 40,5

Denim actually looks kinda irregular for being cone. 

EA9A1C17-CF8C-43C8-AF0E-0A1AD551D4A4.jpeg

B53963CA-1D66-408C-805F-EBE6496EA48B.jpeg

6EF56DF7-8513-4C16-9D4A-A72C828A23D5.jpeg

Edited by Spiraltoy

On 2/6/2019 at 4:46 PM, SmokeStackLightning said:

Well this sucks. Tried them on, fit great. Undo the fly and this happens. Any recommendations? 

20190206_164423.jpg

Update on this situation.

Levi's naturally is of no help thus far. Their product defect/warranty claim is as follows:

"Levi Strauss & Co. stands behind the quality of everything we sell, and we want you to be happy with your product. All Levi's® brand products have a 2-year warranty against manufacturing and material defects (aside from normal wear and tear).
If you feel your garment is defective, you can send it into to us to be inspected. If your garment is found to be defective, it will be replaced with the same or similar garment. If it is not found to be defective, it will be returned to you with a letter of explanation".

This doesn't exactly leave me feeling confident (will I get a 1955 501, a standard 501? The 1976 is out of stock currently).

So, I can either fix them myself (which pisses me off, their brand new with tags...) or pay roughly $70 more to ship them and pay for the shipping of a new pair from Australia.

This situation is in no way the retailers fault, being Big Trouble Store in Australia. I am placing blame on Levi's awful product backing and blanket policies.

Hopefully no one else has to deal with issues with their LVC's and this is just something to keep in mind. 

@SmokeStackLightning

I think your concern is valid that if you send that jacket in for repair that it is gone forevermore and you will get a poor replacement.

Have you contacted specialty tailor shops to see if anyone has the tools to replace? 

I am different than most here, I think repairs like these give a garment a more authentic presence when they are repaired by someone other than Levis. I would take it to an old shoe repair that smells of old leather, dust and glue since they often do rivet repairs. They will possibly fit a thin washer behind the new rivet. 

If I was working a placer mine that took me a month for me and my packmule to get into, then I would be using that now lost skillset called American Ingenuity to decide how to fix it.

Aussies might stillhave some left in their DNA...Lol

Edit:

on closer inspection, I would contact Levis and request an identical snap and rivet in new condition be sent to you. Ask for two. You can fix that no problem. It did not even pull through the fabric so no back washer needed.

Edited by Pedro

Pedro, Levi's will not send just a replacement button, I asked already. It was my first reaction and question with this situation to them.

This issue is on a pair of jeans, but I imagine it is an easy fix. Indigo Proof said they have some similar buttons I could buy, and I just may do that. I have enough hems I can easily practice. What worries me is removing the back washer end and tearing fabric.

It just upsets me because I shouldn't have to do that on a brand new item with tags that is claimed to be such a premium product. I doubt Levi's customer support gets many complaints with the LVC line, further making the situation weird.

Just now, Maynard Friedman said:

Tell Levi’s that the button came off as a result of 2 horses attempting to pull the jeans apart (via ropes) and ask if they’ll still honour their ‘Every Garment Guaranteed’ pledge,

I may just have to do this and screenshot it lol. 

@SmokeStackLightning you should be okay removing the back with minimal damage. I recently removed the suspender buttons with the same basic hardware design from my tcb 20s with minimal damage. If you have needle nose pliers with the little wire cutter with the circular "cut out"  (like those pictured below), just put the wire cutter side flush against the fabric and gently close around/under the flat end of the button on the inside of the fly. Don't cut it, but get a good grip and then wriggle it back and forth until it's out. You'll have two very small holes in the fabric, but nothing that can't be closed or covered with a new button.

image.jpeg

Edited by MileHighEvertonian
clarification

39 minutes ago, SmokeStackLightning said:

Pedro, Levi's will not send just a replacement button, I asked already. It was my first reaction and question with this situation to them.

This issue is on a pair of jeans, but I imagine it is an easy fix. Indigo Proof said they have some similar buttons I could buy, and I just may do that. I have enough hems I can easily practice. What worries me is removing the back washer end and tearing fabric.

It just upsets me because I shouldn't have to do that on a brand new item with tags that is claimed to be such a premium product. I doubt Levi's customer support gets many complaints with the LVC line, further making the situation weird.

They won’t send you new buttons? Thats what Levis has come to? Thats an embarrassment. They may as well have two Shetland Ponies on their tags.

I am surprised it pulled loose also. I guess they have a small fail rate and you got the short straw. I always bust the suspender buttons off my Levis because otherwise my belt digs them into my hip. It is quite an effort to bust them loose with a single jack but they fail identical to yours when they do. 

2215CD20-E604-4B4E-A5E3-8BE1FFAAB3A1.jpeg

Edited by Pedro

Will they send you just the rivet?

I think you can remove the remaining section of rivet (stud) still in the button with a dremel tool and a small pick and re-use the button.

Then its just applying enough pressure to get the new stud to expand. A good cobbler can do this. You could even use a good epoxy inside of the button once you get the loose pieces out. Just be judicious with the epoxy to allow for the new rivet (stud).

Edited by Pedro

32 minutes ago, MileHighEvertonian said:

@SmokeStackLightning you should be okay removing the back with minimal damage. I recently removed the suspender buttons with the same basic hardware design from my tcb 20s with minimal damage. If you have needle nose pliers with the little wire cutter with the circular "cut out"  (like those pictured below), just put the wire cutter side flush against the fabric and gently close around/under the flat end of the button on the inside of the fly. Don't cut it, but get a good grip and then wriggle it back and forth until it's out. You'll have two very small holes in the fabric, but nothing that can't be closed or covered with a new button.

image.jpeg

Exactly.

6 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Will they send you just the rivet?

I think you can remove the remaining section of rivet still in the button with a dremel tool and a small pick and re-use the button.

Then its just applying enough pressure to get the new rivet to expand. A good cobbler can do this.

I sent the following, verbatim, in an email to Levi's a few minutes ago. Thanks to Maynard, as I find it very fitting to send. 

"Two horses (via rope), were attempting to pull my Levi 1976 LVC jeans apart, and one of the buttons snapped off. They are brand new, with tags attached. Will you still honor your "every garment guaranteed" pledge?
Thanks."

I will again ask for any hardware, and probably be told no again. Likely because of being afraid of someone making something counterfeit. Yes, it is embarrassing.

Just now, 428CJ said:

The problems with the LVC button should be handled through the retailer. 

I am in the United States. Retailer is in Australia. They were on sale, and they offered me another size in a different length as an exchange. 

But it's expensive to ship to Australia, and I would have to pay for them to also ship me the new pair. The additional  $70 for both shipping charges makes me want to say fuck it and replace the button myself. 

my $0.02 - retailers are usually not capable of making alterations or fixing defaults. They can usually only offer a refund/exchange. It happens, hardware breaks. I recently bought a TFH shirt f/ SE, and it arrived w/ a broken snap; SE replaced it. You've done all the necessary home work. At this point, I say send them to a repair shop like RCFG and have them put a new button on. It may not match, but so what? Wabisabi, bruh! 

1 hour ago, SmokeStackLightning said:

I am in the United States. Retailer is in Australia. They were on sale, and they offered me another size in a different length as an exchange. 

But it's expensive to ship to Australia, and I would have to pay for them to also ship me the new pair. The additional  $70 for both shipping charges makes me want to say fuck it and replace the button myself. 

You should not be paying to ship them back...and if they don't have the same size to replace them with, then they should just give you a refund. If you choose to repair them, then they should cover repair costs. That, or they can do the work of arranging the delivery of a repair part for you...if they are an authorized retailer. This is what retailers SHOULD do...and it is exactly what Cultizm did for me when I had a pair with almost immediate need for repair. They PayPal'd me $40 back, to cover the local repairs to the jeans.

32 minutes ago, mpukas said:

my $0.02 - retailers are usually not capable of making alterations or fixing defaults. They can usually only offer a refund/exchange. It happens, hardware breaks. I recently bought a TFH shirt f/ SE, and it arrived w/ a broken snap; SE replaced it. You've done all the necessary home work. At this point, I say send them to a repair shop like RCFG and have them put a new button on. It may not match, but so what? Wabisabi, bruh! 

I don't imagine the retailer can "fix" the problem with the jeans themselves. But they can facilitate refunds, exchanges, and contact with the Levi's company, if necessary. Retailers are the point of contact with Levi's regarding quality problems on brand new jeans.

FWIW, both tines on the tack are still intact. If, for some reason, you won't force the retailer to handle the situation, then I would simply try straightening the tines, purchasing the necessary tack button installation tools, and restoring the button yourself.

I would like to know what retailer has stated that the way you fix this issue is to return the jeans at your own expense, then have the replacement pair shipped to you at your own expense...so we can all avoid giving them our money.

18 minutes ago, 428CJ said:

You should not be paying to ship them back...and if they don't have the same size to replace them with, then they should just give you a refund. If you choose to repair them, then they should cover repair costs. That, or they can do the work of arranging the delivery of a repair part for you...if they are an authorized retailer. This is what retailers SHOULD do...and it is exactly what Cultizm did for me when I had a pair with almost immediate need for repair. They PayPal'd me $40 back, to cover the local repairs to the jeans.

I don't imagine the retailer can "fix" the problem with the jeans themselves. But they can facilitate refunds, exchanges, and contact with the Levi's company, if necessary. Retailers are the point of contact with Levi's regarding quality problems on brand new jeans.

FWIW, both tines on the tack are still intact. If, for some reason, you won't force the retailer to handle the situation, then I would simply try straightening the tines, purchasing the necessary tack button installation tools, and restoring the button yourself.

I would like to know what retailer has stated that the way you fix this issue is to return the jeans at your own expense, then have the replacement pair shipped to you at your own expense...so we can all avoid giving them our money.

The store is Big Trouble Store. They were heavily on sale, and as we all know sale items tend to be final. I ordered a 33/34, they have a 33/32 they mentioned exchanging with. I was fine with that until I looked more into the shipping aspect and said no thanks, I'll fix it myself.

I am supposed to send them to Levi's AUS, rather than Levi's USA, as they (Big Trouble Store) are an Australian store. I can't really blame the retailer that Levi's USA customer service is utter nonsense. Nobody understands and all you get are copy and paste responses, sad really. All I want is a button. 

Tricky situation. I've had great service for repairs from Levis in London, last one was a replacement zip on my 54's which have been well worn for a few years now. Can you take them to a Levis store in the US? I had my 44's fixed in the Meat Packing Store NYC in January by their tailors. Apart from alterations all my repairs have been free 

Just now, jewellben said:

Tricky situation. I've had great service for repairs from Levis in London, last one was a replacement zip on my 54's which have been well worn for a few years now. Can you take them to a Levis store in the US? I had my 44's fixed in the Meat Packing Store NYC in January by their tailors. Apart from alterations all my repairs have been free 

The 44 were purchased in UK but as they are Levis they didn't ask where I purchased them 

Try to get in touch with LVC rather than Levi’s. In 2010 I bought some 1915s from a (now defunct) online shop in Sweden and when I unpacked them a rivet dropped off before I even tried them on. I’m in the UK and contacted LVC Europe (based in Amsterdam then) who sent me a number of replacement rivets plus some press-on suspender buttons that I’m saving for my cinch-back Warehouse 415s (basically rebadged 700s).

I know in my case, both Sweden (vendor) and the UK (purchaser) are within the domain of LVC Europe and the situation  being discussed here is more complex - Australia & USA - but a similar principle of care from the manufacturer should apply.

On 2/6/2019 at 2:10 AM, -KapitalSteez- said:

Found some '54s in the op shop for $10 and they fit perfectly. Some wear but plenty of life left and ability to make an imprint. 

I was a bit sceptical of getting them from Levis seeing as they were out of the premium raw selvedge game for a while but they have clearly put a lot of care into these...

20190205_194057.jpg

those look great .

Yup Levi's dropped premium denim for such a long time, between 1983 and 1987 I think it was.

Edited by Paul T

12 minutes ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Try to get in touch with LVC rather than Levi’s. In 2010 I bought some 1915s from a (now defunct) online shop in Sweden and when I unpacked them a rivet dropped off before I even tried them on. I’m in the UK and contacted LVC Europe (based in Amsterdam then) who sent me a number of replacement rivets plus some press-on suspender buttons that I’m saving for my cinch-back Warehouse 415s (basically rebadged 700s).

I know in my case, both Sweden (vendor) and the UK (purchaser) are within the domain of LVC Europe and the situation  being discussed here is more complex - Australia & USA - but a similar principle of care from the manufacturer should apply.

Going to try and get a contact for LVC directly. 

Why would it matter who handles something like this, when the tags say they were made by Levi's in the USA. Wouldn't any LVC issues be with them by default? Why complicate it with different countries when they are in theory all made in the USA?

Many “button & tack” kits available online.

But I have not been able to find authentic Levi.

Your experience with Levi being so uncooperative makes me glad I have switched to SugarCane. They are a superior product in all regards. In fact, if the consumers that made Levi famous could choose between modern day LVC and SugarCane at the same price point, 10 out of 10 would choose SugarCane for their hard-earned greenbacks.

Nomenclature:

https://www.heddels.com/2014/09/know-button-types-donut-vs-tack/

Edited by Pedro

1 hour ago, jewellben said:

The only authentic Levis repair is the small shop at their San Francisco headquarters main floor, AFAIK.

Any others?

43 minutes ago, SmokeStackLightning said:

Going to try and get a contact for LVC directly. 

Why would it matter who handles something like this, when the tags say they were made by Levi's in the USA. Wouldn't any LVC issues be with them by default? Why complicate it with different countries when they are in theory all made in the USA?

Short answer.

Lawyers.