The Flat Head

LFC4ever

I think that Flat Head's 7002W is objectively the best denim shirt on the market, the fabric is incredibly hairy and has a ton of character, and for me at least the fit is great. There aren't many unsanforized denim shirts out there.

b_F, Flat Head makes all of their Stockburg leather stuff (wallets, bags, other accessories) in house, at the workshop near their main office. Non-Stockburg wallets (ones with machine stitching), belts, and a few other leather items are made in Tokyo. Other items are subcontracted, but Flat Head owns many of the sewing machines and looms used to make their products and loans them to their producers. Further, they have extremely close relationships with the sewing houses that make their jeans and shirts, and there's a lot of visiting back and forth that ensures stuff is being made how they want. Basically, it's all interconnected, if Flat Head wasn't developing and looming the fabrics and providing the sewing houses with essential machinery, those makers would not be able to make products with FH's characteristics. 

Not sure about who makes their boots or leather jackets, though I know they get most of their leather from Shinki (excepting some boots made from Chromexcel.)

Seems unlikely, I have a great job as a software developer that pays way better and involves far fewer hours and general office BS compared to working in Japan, so I'll probably stick here for a long time! I do miss Japan though and would like to go back for a visit.

Quick fit pics on the 3009's after half a day of wear.

24xeucy.jpg

kdx1di.jpg

Just need a hem now.

You're in Los Angeles and you listen to Krömosom? Do we know each other?

You should be going to Self Edge anyway if you're in LA just so you can get the proper fit, the price difference is small potatoes when you consider how long you'll wear them and how much enjoyment you'll get. Really do wish though that Self Edge could convince Flat Head that the domestic arcs are different enough to be imported...

I've been looking into the 3002, which I don't think Self Edge carries from the looks of their website. Otherwise that'd be my best bet, I'd much prefer to try on a pair than to just purchase blindly.
Edited by VivaMarlon

No, this isn't true.  Even a Schott employee once was at a Self Edge store saying how he wishes they could get leather as good as what Flat Head has made.  That's not to mention Flat Head's linings are all original fabrics and Schott (and most leather jacket companies) use stock fabrics.  Lastly, the stitching detail on Flat Head's leather jackets is top notch, other leather jacket makers agree with this sentiment.  I'd say the single thing which Flat Head produces where other brands recognize to be the top of their game is their leather jacket collection.

EDIT: I know it sounds like the classic store owner defending his brands, which part of it is.. but when you compare FH to Schott or Belstaff i believe somebody should step in and clear up the hierarchy of "quality" amongst the brands.

@Kiya - FH leather jackets vs RMC Buco leather leather jackets? Cheers! mpp

I've been looking into the 3002, which I don't think Self Edge carries from the looks of their website. Otherwise that'd be my best bet, I'd much prefer to try on a pair than to just purchase blindly.

The 3002 is basically the SE05BSP with a different patch, main difference is that the SE05BSP has a longer inseam and the arcuates are in indigo thread.

@Kiya - FH leather jackets vs RMC Buco leather leather jackets? Cheers! mpp

That's not a comparison i'd want to get deep into... long story short, much of the leather, factories used, and even hardware (but not linings) are extremely similar. 

Edited by kiya

Thank you. How have their shipping times been?

Depends on how long they sit around in customs.  Usually it is about a week to get from Japan to my door but I've had them as quick as ~4 days and sometimes as long as 3 weeks.

I recall that when I asked about the cotton, they told me it was Texas cotton, though I think they may use other American varieties as well. Not sure about the fiber length. RJB's D-series of jeans (D105, 105BSP, etc.) use denim with Zimbabwe cotton.