Studio D'artisan

LFC4ever

• 2 weeks later...

second wash for my SDA 103XX (the natural indigo version).

Beautifully-crafted jeasn. THe denim is obviously influenced the the late 40s Levi's look - slow crocking, loose weave, lots of weft yarn visble. Even after a good amount of spot washing and soaking and washing, the warp yarn still hasn't filled out, they still have a lot of the graininess of new jeans. Note also that these marble like crazy for some reason (and i took them out before the spin cycle).

sda12.jpgsdabutt12.jpg

dec10washed.jpgdec10washedrear.jpg

10detailing.jpg

Check out the marbling...

10leg.jpg10marbling.jpg

And for comparison - the SDA 103XX, on the left with, clockwise, LVC 47, 1901 and 55.

SDAplusthree2.jpg

Beautifully-crafted jeasn. THe denim is obviously influenced the the late 40s Levi's look - slow crocking, loose weave, lots of weft yarn visble. Even after a good amount of spot washing and soaking and washing, the warp yarn still hasn't filled out, they still have a lot of the graininess of new jeans. Note also that these marble like crazy for some reason (and i took them out before the spin cycle).

Looks great, Paul! Love the way that natural indigo fades.

sda12.jpgsdabutt12.jpg

dec10washed.jpgdec10washedrear.jpg

10detailing.jpg

Check out the marbling...

10leg.jpg10marbling.jpg

And for comparison - the SDA 103XX, on the left with, clockwise, LVC 47, 1901 and 55.

SDAplusthree2.jpg

Really nice Paul, but I still like your 55's best.

SDAplusthree2.jpg

Can't rep you Paul, but these are beautiful. I am looking to these as a good guide to how my SdA XXX28's will turn out.

^The XXX series has a much deeper natural indigo dye than the XX series though~

INteresting, I'll have to check them out. Pics?

The XX is pretty dark compared to most natural indigo which often has a turquoise cast; these could be synthetic indigo new, but liek other natural indigo jeans the dye seems to cling faster to the yarn; hence on these, they fade to a pale blue rather than white.

I had one guy tell me me to hide them away at the bottom of my denim box; but I do like the creasing and marbling which you see on a lot of vintage pairs. I fully admit these are not a classic SuFu fade, but i'm looking forward to giving these more wear. The dark portions remain very intense, they hardly look washed, so these have got a long way to go.

Flash, yours look great.

These photos show how good SDA can look (Again, it's the synthetic indigo), but you have to wear them hard. To me, these are far superior to the Sammies in the previous post, but I"m conditioned to vintage-style fades.

44875_1640581424143_1525038171_1623863_3475060_n.jpg

67719_1640587184287_1525038171_1623897_8105121_n.jpg

those pics are amazing, regular 103's?

Yes, blue circle, red text, on the tag denotes the synthetic indigo 103 I believe.

Edit FOr reference, here's the 103XX new. Although they look as if they have lined back pockets, they don't, the black stitching is decoarative, I guess.

Hmmm... wonder if ROY lined the contest pockets...

SDA.jpg

cool never noticed that detail before :D

do all 103's come with half lined pockets or are my eyes playing tricks on me...

cool pictures btw paul, must spread though

I thought the indigo was from a Japanese island? Either way, if the XXX28 is truly darker than the 103XX they've done an amazing job - and been very generous with the indigo.

Edit: It's shikoku - not a small island, oen of the main ones, specifically in Tokushima province. Check out takashi's excellent posts:

It’s a good question Mr tweedles, but there is simply not enough agricultural land in Okayama, which, except for a narrow coastal strip, is quite a hilly prefecture. Most of Shikoku is hilly too, but there is a broad plain around Tokushima which supports an extensive amount of agriculture. Before Japan was opened up to the West in 1868, indigo was one of the most important crops in this area. After that, the production of indigo declined, for several reasons --- first, it became possible to import indigo (from India, courtesy of the British), thereby freeing up the land for the more important production of rice; second, in 1897 the German company BASF discovered how to produce indigo synthetically; and third, in the new liberal atmosphere of the Meiji period, colors other than blue became fashionable for the working classes (up until then, blue was the color of the clothing which common people wore, because indigo was the cheapest kind of dye available, and also in some areas there were actually laws forbidding them from wearing other colors, which were reserved for the aristocrats).
The "small island off the coast of Japan" you mention is actually Shikoku (四国), one of the four main islands which comprise Japan (the others are Honshu, Kyushu, and Hokkaido). It is a huge island with a large population, railways, airports, etc, etc. Natural indigo was traditionally harvested in Tokushima prefecture, in the northeast region, and today it remains the biggest source of the crop. It is no accident that this area is just across the the strait from Okayama prefecture, home of traditional fabric production and dying, and where many jeans manufacturers are today located.

Learn a little bit about Japan..!

Best Regards,

Takashi

^ Yeah, I was hallucinating and you are right, Japanese indigo. They started out very dark, almost black like the Kapital Zipang which are still, after numerous washes, almost black.

I think you're correct and SDA does use natural indigo from India for some of their jeans.

I think for the xx denims the average number of dips in the natural indigo is up to 24, with the xxx denims it's 30 to 50.

My favourite natural indigo from SDA is their special edition with indigo from the Musashi province:

SdD1413-m.jpg