Samurai Jeans

gimmegimme

'Fully intact' Samurais at Japanese retail price plus free shipping. Does that need further explanation?

ordered the last pair direct from 2nd, they marked them down as a low value gift and never got hit with customs but not sure what the deal is with gifts and low value in the US....

http://www.rakuten.ne.jp/gold/2nd/br-sj-r/sj-411-01-r.html

they chain stitch hemmed them too - great service

Edited by Switch

Soaked my S710XXes in 120°F water last night for about an hour, and allowed them to dry all through today.  They did not shrink nearly as much as I thought they would.

37AkdSF.jpg

0yMcD0n.jpg

uJPr6V2.jpg

I may soak them for another half an hour or so just to see if there is any additional shrinkage, but we'll see.  They desperately need to be hemmed, and I think I'm going to have them tapered just a bit more than they are now.  I love the quality on these though.  The details are so awesome.  

Apologies for the potato photos.  Poor lighting + an iPhone 4 = those results.

Edited by Redstar*

Soaked my S710XXes in 120°F water last night for about an hour, and allowed them to dry all through today.  They did not shrink nearly as much as I thought they would.

I may soak them for another half an hour or so just to see if there is any additional shrinkage, but we'll see.  They desperately need to be hemmed, and I think I'm going to have them tapered just a bit more than they are now.  I love the quality on these though.  The details are so awesome.  

Agitation, hoss. There's plenty of shrinkage left in those.

Edited by josh mullen

^lol I can never read tone on written text, but I did want to confirm that it's true:

http://andjapan.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-17.html

Hopefully this won't undercut local businesses too much (you know who I mean) since pricing will be on par with Japanese retail + free shipping. Only kicker is no chainstiching service but there can be workarounds for that too...

Hopefully local business doesn't pull a SE and threaten to pull label if label doesn't distribute to them exclusively like SE did with OD. :/

Hopefully local business doesn't pull a SE and threaten to pull label if label doesn't distribute to them exclusively like SE did with OD. :/

Not sure if anything will go down...Samurai is likely one of (if not the most) popular brands at "local business" next to PBJ, which also has direct distribution (not to mention PBJ, FC, etc. already being on such websites). But we shall see; more heartbreaking things have happened (ex: FC and T5)

So I should soak them again, but agitate the denim?  I figured soaking them for that long in water that hot would do the trick.

I would personally just put them in the wash.

Edited by bradl

Hey guys. I'm really keen on getting a pair of Samurai 25oz - either the S5000VX 25oz 15th or the S510XX 25oz 15th that Pirates recently listed. I have no experience with Samurai, so I have some questions about how they fit and are sized. My waist is about 33 and I have big-ish thighs. I like a 33 inseam. Usually with Japan brands I have to go to a 34. I prefer a straight fit with medium rise.

Pirates has a size chart for washed and unwashed S5000VX 25oz and the 34 would be perfect. If the unwashed chart for the S510XX 25oz is correct the 34 would be too small after they shrink.

My most worn jeans are IH 634s 21oz in 34 from Vari and SG2105 in 34 from SE. The 634s fit me better in the thighs. The SG2105 are a little snug in the thighs, but the waist has stretched a bit and is loose. I wouldn’t want to size down on the SG. I also have IH 634s-IHXSE13 23oz in 33 but they are too tight in the waist and thighs and I hardly ever wear them (LOVE that denim tho).

Also, if I go with a Japan vendor, what’s the best way to get them hemmed? Having the vendor do the hemming with a chain stitch seems like a good idea, but how much should I allow for shrinkage? Would it be easier to get them in unhemmed, soak/wash them myself, and send them out to a US shop to get them chain stitched?

Lots of noob questions, I know… thanks much. Cheers! mpp

Ok, you asked and wrote a lot, I hope I can help you just a bit. Others who own the 25 oz denim will let you know about the expected shrinkage and how the sizes run, so I'll skip that.

The 510 has a higher rise than the 5000 and if you want a medium rise, that is your cut. The thighs on the 5000 should however be a tad smaller. I assume your IH 634S have stretched to more than 34...I have a 634SB in 33 and wear Samurai in 34. I think you could go with a 35 to be safe.

Regarding the hemming: I prefer to do it locally, as you can see how much they shrink first and make sure, that the tailor does it exactly how you want it. Japanese communication can be tricky. But on the other hand, if you tell them exactly what you want, you should be safe. And you safe money. In general, Samurais don't shrink a crazy amount, I never had more than 2" shrinkage.

Edited by Max Power

mpukas - i have every pair of jeans you mentioned, along with the large thighs.  

my waist is 32, and here's what works for me:

634s W32 (I have enough room in the thighs)

5000 W33 (or 634s + 1" is my recommendation) these fit me pretty good.  not constricting anywhere

2105 W33 (634s + 1")  like you said above, i get the tight thighs and loose waist.

510 W33 (I had the legs tapered to match my 634s, and I love this jeans. I shoulda gone TTS or maybe sized down one).  

If you go with the 5000, 34W is my recommendation to accommodate your thighs.

If you go with the 510's, I'd size by the waist, not the thigh. Just keep in mind these don't fit like the 5000's.  They aren't low rise and you'll have a lot of room below the knee.  

It sounds like you want the heavier samurai's, but i'm gonna also recommend SDA 103 W35.  Similar to the 5000 but no hip flare.  

Also, check our BF's fit guide. 

Thanks Max and EF for the replies. Very helpful. 

Yeah, Max, my 634s have stretched out a bit in the waist too. I maybe could have gone with a 33 in that pair, but I'm done with jeans so tight in the legs that I can't lift my leg high enough to step into my car LOL. I like the way they fit - but both the 634s and the SG2105 are due for a warm wash to tighten the waist up a bit. Tho I'm concerned the 2105 thighs are gonna get a little tight... 

I've looked at BF's fit guide quite a bit, and I see that the 510's have a higher rise and looser leg than the 5000. When I first saw the 5000 I thought that was it for me, now I'm leaning towards the 510 just for the comfort factor,  but I suspect the 5000 would look better on me. 

EF - what are SDA 103? Not familiar with them... Thanks! mpp

Studio D'Artisan 103 are a 66-kinda cut, medium rise and straight-slimmish leg, beautiful 15oz denim. If you are aiming for comfort, I think the 510 or 5000 would be the better choice, though. But keep in mind, that especially the 510 can look really wide from the knee down. My 500XX has similar measurements to a 510 and is by far my most comfy pair, however not the most flattering silhuette.

i know this has probably been talked into the ground, but how many inches do the 710 model shrink in the waist & how many in the inseam?  i plan on hot washing in the machine and hang drying them.

I got 1" in the waist and 2" in the length on mine with a couple of hot washes. The waist stretched back to the raw measurement pretty easily

Type: S710BKH

Worn for: Since October 2013, probably 1 week of effective wear so far

Washes: 1 hot soak and 1 wash to get rid of the shrinkage

I had been looking for grey fading jeans for a long time with a narrow cut. These are 17oz Zero denim: a good mix of comfortable and thick enough for the cold months ahead.

The pair, brand new:

11655562443_8c289e4432_z.jpg

A few pics after a week of wear

11717160875_7c5f4f2450_n.jpg11717288415_1273d4bdb4.jpg

And fit (without Tigers for once):

11717161665_c9a7e02615.jpg11717525314_925a930f3a.jpg

Happy new year btw!

Ah, so they have the Arcs but not the tab.

Right, no red tab. But I find it quite consistent with the 'all black' and 'clean' look of the jeans: grey threads, black buttons and rivets. Even the pockets are black. A black tab would have been ok though. Probably for legal concerns.

Right, no red tab. But I find it quite consistent with the 'all black' and 'clean' look of the jeans: grey threads, black buttons and rivets. Even the pockets are black. A black tab would have been ok though. Probably for legal concerns.

A black tab would have been fucking perfect and cool, with either white or silver text, why didn't they think of that??? Also, a black tab wouldn't have had the legal issues, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't anyway, it's only a red tab that sets off the alarms.