Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

final decision time...

i think a 34 will be perfect...34x39 that is.

wonder if Roy's ever done a 39" inseam...haha.

"so roys are a typically similar to a 47 or a 66 cut?"

That depends.. the sugar cane 1947's are cut much more loose vs. a LVC 1947 cut. I only own the SC's.. so I can't comment on the LVC 47 differences. But I can say this.. the SC's and the Roy's in the pics above have similar size waist bands and the SC's fit me very good.. and I pulled up the Roy's.. and said.. "oh fuckkk".. They were damn tight in the ass/legs.. not even close for my 5'11" / 225 lbs body. I usually like TTS in the waist in my raw jeans.. but because of the way the Roy's are cut, I am actually considering ordering a pair of 38's (the roy's in the pics are 36's.. the SC's are tagged 34" but measure 36"). Then I know I will have the leg and ass room I need.. and maybe give me a different fit from my other jeans.

"appreciate the effort you took to make this post man"

No problem! I think every one is excited about the heart and soul Roy has put into his jeans.. when something is authentic as this.. it catches fire easily. And damn, that beer looks good right about now... cheers to Roy!

Surrealizm, i just have to say thank you so much for reassuring us that Roy Denim is great, but why come into the convo just to say you will not be purchasing these awesome jeans becsuse of the threads? thanx fopr the input but no one cares what you have "a hard on" for. its been stated multiple times, by Salaami, that the only negative to these jeans, if any, are the poly thread. i couldnt care less, but we get it. were all fans here, so thanx for you opinion, and ur total 6 sufu posts. the world is better your here now.

as far as the Sugar Cane comparisons.... ive owned a few pairs of SC, 1947 & 2009, and in my opinion the only thing the two have in common is the quality. both, have there own unique deep shade of indigo, textures, and depth. however i dont feel you can call the two alike. Sugar Cane denim and Cone denim are two totally diff. species, the hairiness you get from SC for example, totally unlike the smooth, slick finish on the Roy. i can deffinetely understand how you can feel the two are similar though, souly based on the high quality, the biggest similarity.

edit: as far as fit comparison, i would say the only thing that could be even close is something from the LVC line. Roy worked with them for a while so that might have been influenced him. however ive owned LVC 47 's and the fit is totally diff on these, and unlike anything ive ever tried. just for reference, when Kiya comes up with a custom fit and collaborates with iron heart, flat head, or even sugar cane, no body asks " what does the fit compair to?" because its a custom fit and all new. study the measurements, its all there.

Aw hell. Now I have to buy these. Torn between 35 and 34. Same size as PBJ 05s and Okis? 2 down from LVC 47?

Probably up at least two from Okis. 47s are too unreliable in sizing to judge from. What year?

Why not just follow ROY's advice from the website though? It's pretty clear.

The only real question is TTS or up one inch. The trend here is TTS unless you have big thighs.

Probably up at least two from Okis. 47s are too unreliable in sizing to judge from. What year?

Why not just follow ROY's advice from the website though? It's pretty clear.

The only real question is TTS or up one inch. The trend here is TTS unless you have big thighs.

I've got huge balls and went up one.

Finally, page 39 opens for me.

Well done, dr. house.

Keep in mind the denim is stretchy.

For what it's worth, I think if you go TTS you end up with a typical LVC '47 fit, once the waist has stretched out.

I think Entertainment compared a TTS+1 fit to a mid-50s Lee fit?

You'll sort of win either way.

Oh man. I was going to wait until fall/winter to get a new pair of jeans, but with this deadline, I don't know...

I'm totally in love with Roy's process, dedication, customization, location, and basically everything else, but I'm sort of nervous about the fit, because I'm a short (5'7"), relatively skinny (140) guy with big-ish legs and butt, and fits that aren't tapered tend to make me look like a child.

I'll probably end up pulling the trigger before the deadline, though. My Tellasons need a new Made in the Bay Area out of Cone Denim buddy...

Dude, this thread has gone fucking nuts... in a good way.

About the whole 100% cotton versus Poly thread thing. My 2 cents. On a strictly repro jean, I might think it was a deal breaker, but ROY does not intend, at least I don't think he does, on these jeans being a reproduction of a vintage pair of jeans. I think ROY is trying to make the best jeans possible using the processes and materials, that he knows, to get him there.

The great thing about ROY is that he is willing to change his process if he finds something better out there. As stated earlier, if ROY can find a way to make 100% cotton work for him, then he is more than willing to do it.

What I love most about my pants is that I can look at them and tug and pull on them and they have the strength and construction of a full blown top notch jeans factory, yet they don't have the "feel" of being one in a thousand of other jeans just like them. These jeans were made for me by a dude that has similar interests and passions that I do. Not some poor dude working a 9-5 just trying to make ends meet. The difference is that the 9-5-er makes jeans because he "has" to, whereas ROY makes jeans because he "wants" too. The end product feels much different even though they may have run through the same process. Somebody who "wants" to do something can produce a work of art, whereas someone who "needs" to do something will produce a product.

Whew. Denim-geek-philosopher mode off.

I also don't mean to knock the 9-5-er for doing his/her job. There is worth and meaning in that as well. I mean all the vintage Levis/Lees/Carhartts were all made in a factory line by somebodies blood sweat and tears. It just seems like there is an inherent difference between the two processes.

damn, rnrswitch bringin' that denim-philosophical gangsta-ness.

That reminds me. Need a new tag to this thread.

So, a pair of ROYs are potentially in the works for me.However, still stuck in the sizing phase.

*Long and inane post start*

I have a true waist of 32. I wear a 32 in Eternals 811, and feel I could have afforded to size down one. I wear a 31 in Denime XX (sized down one on a jeans that people recommend to size up one).

In my emails to him, Roy suggested not sizing down as the denim would most probably not stretch out to more than tagged size. However, I have had experience with jeans (811 and XX type) which people say would not stretch stretching out past tagged size, to be slightly looser than what I would have liked. Not a deal breaker but still, it'd be nice to account for the stretching.

So, I guess what I am trying to say here is, for those with a pair of ROYs, and have been wearing them for a while, tell me more about the denim, if you would be so kind. Like, in your opinion and experience, how much potential they have to stretch out past tagged size. Need to choose between a 31 (SDO) or 32 (TTS) before the world ends! :P Thanks in advance!

And yes, I have read through the entire thread, but stretching was only touched on lightly.

*Long and inane post end*

I think I will only say this one more time.

Grab your favorite pair of jeans. Measure them, and you know what size to go with. The waist stretches back to nearly it's tagged size.

For instance: I measured a pair of Nudie AJ's. Tagged W30, but measured like 32,5''. So I ordered a W33, soaked it and bang! I end up with a W32.5'' jean.

It's not that hard.

I am aware of the pros of poly core over pure cotton, however I/me/myself prefer 100 % cotton

How can you possibly stress a detail, over a whole?

I say this because it's a mistake that's made so often, by people who think a detail is emblematic of a whole design. It isn't; it's just a detail. The reason people do this is usually because it's easier to define a detail than look at the entire picture.

For this reason, we have people who will only look at jeans with selvage, because the only good denim is selvage denim. Which is nonsense. In fact, the cotton, spinning, yarn and dyeing is far more crucial than what loom the denim is made on. The busted seam is an anomaly, which only Levi's used from the 1950s, and now it's become a badge that no-one dares go without.

Manufacturers love to concentrate on these details because it makes life easier for them, they can tick off all those features in their ads, to define their "brand". ROY is not a brand, it's a person.

Look at the whole picture. Not the feature list.

So, a pair of ROYs are potentially in the works for me.However, still stuck in the sizing phase.

*Long and inane post start*

(abridged) "stretchy?"

*Long and inane post end*

In regards to stretching, the ROYs probably would stretch out beyond their original waist size, especially if worn while wet and some muscle applied, with the inherent puckers and stretch marks that come with that. Almost any jean will stretch out beyond their original waist size, except maybe those 110oz Ironhearts. ROY's denim seems to be less stretchy than APCs, but more so than most LVCs.

With the ROYs you will have problems with the thighs, though. Their being of much less circumference than the waist, they have less material and thus less potential to stretch, and they are already cut fairly slim.

If your thighs are relatively thin compared to your waist, you might could downsize. But you would be verging on Russel Brand-type skinny fit there. If that's what you want, why don't you give it a try and post your results? I don't believe anyone here has tried down-sizing yet.

For the 100% cotton thread advocates- could you explain in more detail why this feature is important to you? Not a challenge, just curiosity.

Just to perpetuate the argument further, I like cotton thread because I like the fact that it wears away with your denim (I don't mind doing repairs) But I'm not saying it is better.

But it's silly to say "I cant have those jeans I really like because they have polyester thread".

In the end as Paul said, you have to choose the jeans not the feature list.

I can't justify a pair of ROYS though because I have too many jeans waiting to be worn. I just got the 15th warehouse jeans and have a barely worn pair of eternals.

That is of course unless something unmissable comes along......

I think I will only say this one more time.

Grab your favorite pair of jeans. Measure them, and you know what size to go with. The waist stretches back to nearly it's tagged size.

For instance: I measured a pair of Nudie AJ's. Tagged W30, but measured like 32,5''. So I ordered a W33, soaked it and bang! I end up with a W32.5'' jean.

It's not that hard.

For only having 40 posts, this man has the sizing racket down.