Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

I asked this question in the Self Edge thread, but maybe this is the appropriate spot.

Sugarcane makes jeans that say "Made in the USA" on the tag. My questions are:

Are they really made here? If so, why and where. Do they contract out? I would like to know which company makes them, cuz I am pretty sure Toyo has no factories here. And if they are made by an American company, what other clothes are manufactured at this facility? Also, is "made in the usa" that big of a deal in Japan to where they would go through the trouble of shipping denim over here so that the jeans could be manufactured and then shipping them back to Japan for sale.

Am I losing my mind over this? Probably.

I just wonder why "Made In the USA" for only a couple models and not all models. Not to mention it is somewhat false advertisement. I was also under the impression the "made in the usa" models are a bit more expensive than their other models.

Also, is "made in the usa" that big of a deal in Japan to where they would go through the trouble of shipping denim over here so that the jeans could be manufactured and then shipping them back to Japan for sale.

Am I losing my mind over this? Probably.

The answer to this part of the question is a resounding YES! For evidence I will submit my MADE IN USA magazine which is a gigantic japanese magazine filled with all kinds of products that are...you guessed it...made in the USA. Also, when the directors of Sugar Cane and Rickson were hanging out at Craft, they were asking how people viewed made in Japan vs made in USA here, and said that made in USA was a big deal with Japanese customers.

I really believe ur on a goose chase right there...regardless of the stamped "made in USA' patch on some models (55, 66) - they are manufactured in Japan

While the Made In USA on Lone Wolf, Buzz Rickson, and some Sugar Cane stuff is completely bogus, I have heard numerous times for folks who I am pretty certain know exactly what they are talking about that some of Sugar Cane's line "Made in USA" line, the 55s 66s, and parts of the Mister Freedom line, are actually made in the USA, and the copy on the Sugar Cane website, while exhibiting hilarious diction, leads me to believe this is correct:

"Why so particular for a Made in U.S.A.

Jeans manufactures of major brands in the United States have shifted operation overseas of the lower labor to curtail cost. Within the country, jeans manufactures are on the pathway to diminish. Consequently products that were within easy reach have vanished from the market. Our belief is that jeans remain as one of the symbol within the culture of the United States of America. Reviving a Made in U.S.A. jeans have been a dream we have been chasing for a period of years, a mission as well. From our past knowledge and experience of manufacturing, our project was to manufacture top quality jeans in the U.S.A. began in 2005. The series continue as we’re in our fourth year introducing the lines. Our concept for 2008 is to revive the old goodies from 1920-30. Lines will be true to details for a full showing of work wears"

I just wonder why "Made In the USA" for only a couple models and not all models. Not to mention it is somewhat false advertisement. I was also under the impression the "made in the usa" models are a bit more expensive than their other models.

Right now, it seems the 1966s are 50 dollars more than the 1947s, despite the fact that they exhibit the same level of detail or perhaps less, and aren't working with any deadstock parts, or a denim that is notable. The 1955s are $150 more, but that is at least partially due to the deadstock zipper, and the nicer (or at least more expensive) denim that is used. While I am not being consumed with curiosity about this quite to the extent that you are, I am very interested to know the whole story, and this really gets at the meat of an idea I have been playing around with lately: Why doesn't someone in the States set up a trunk-show like situation with Toyo, it would be a remarkable opportunity to see the whole breadth of what Toyo does (which impresses me more and more the more of it I see) and possibly also get the straight answers to some of these intriguing questions.

this is what BIG gives as info

Sugar Cane - Made in USA Collection 1966 and Standard Denim Styles 1947 & 1947 Type-II Slim

The Sugar Cane Standard Denim models 1947 and new 1947 Type-II both use a special right-hand weave denim made out of original blended cotton from USA and Zimbabwe. Dyed with genuine indigo and woven on vintage shuttle looms, these products are all hand made in Japan using old Union Special sewing machines. The 1966 model uses an original American made selvage denim and are produced here in the United States as part of their Made in USA Collection.

Thanks for the info folks. I was just wondering why they would do this, because it seems like a lot of people have written off American garment factories as being substandard for jeans. I would like to know which company does the actual manufacturing and if they manufacture jeans for other companies.

The statement on the BIG website seems to conflict with what Kiya said in the self edge thread. Kiya said that all denim for SC is made in japan by Toyo, but BIG apparently says that the denim for the 66 is made in the states... huh.

I asked a similar question a few days ago regarding bigs info page...

so I was reading blue in greens descriptions in their news/updates thing and I was thinkin about the made in USA collection.

If it really is made in the USA, does anyone know who makes them? It must be some sort of contracted company, similar to LVC's Caitac and formerly taylor toggs.

also, whats the deal with the "14oz Special American original selvage denim" used on the 1966? Is it white oak cone denim? is it vintage?

I'm just curious.

i dont know why but i was having trouble finding this thread, thanks for bumping it guys.

anyway, a couple of weeks ago when i was in okinawa i went into this store called americaya where they sold abunch of like vintage military stuff, but they also had a sugarcane section, (shirts, jackets, shoes, jeans) then while looking through this stuff i found a pair i had been searching for years, and in my size. i found the pair of canes wrangler repros! and after examining them i was kinda underwhelmed. i thought they would be really awesome with broken twill denim and what not but no it was pretty standard fare. so much so that i didnt even try them on. maybe they would have faded fantastically, ill never know.

^ That belt looks beautiful. Mine garrison belt looks like shit, stained, cracked, fucked up, used heavily for about 1.5 or 2 years. I just gave it some cheap ass mink oil whenever I thought it needed it. Need to get a new one and buy some of that good obenauf stuff. Have to spread......

I don't think the mink oil vs. Obenaufs is going to make a huge difference. Maybe a bit, but an untreated belt should look great after a couple years of wear without applying any leather protectant as long as the leather is good. Post some pics and let us decide whether it looks like shit or not. I bet it looks better than you lead us to believe.

Cross post from the how jeans fit thread. Just want a few more opinions from other Sugar Cane owners.

A friends gave me his Sugar Cane 1947s that no longer fit him and I was wondering what you guys thought of the fit. They fit perfect in the waist but I find them baggy in the butt. I may try to get them tapered.

IMG_0512.jpg

IMG_0513.jpg

IMG_0527.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg

Thanks

I live in Saskatchewan so I don't think I will be locating any tailors who do chain stitching.The fit will probably just take some getting used to because I am used to slim fitting jeans. I do love them though, the denim is nice and light and I love the leather used for the patch.

Post those persimmon jeans. Or have you before?

Also posted in another thread:

Found a good deal on Sugar Cane 1955s on the translated Rakuten site. Should I be taking any precautions from ordering through this service? It seems pretty sketchy.

I could also just order them from Denimbar for an extra 90 dollars, but with added security. Advice?

I don't think the mink oil vs. Obenaufs is going to make a huge difference. Maybe a bit, but an untreated belt should look great after a couple years of wear without applying any leather protectant as long as the leather is good. Post some pics and let us decide whether it looks like shit or not. I bet it looks better than you lead us to believe.

Took me a while, but here. This is the only shot I could get before the battery in my camera died after taking all those macros for the hardware thread...

p8230139.jpg