The Strike Gold

TokenIndianKid

I doubt you could get a fit much better than that ever.  Yeah it's short, but it's better than having something hanging down past your ass.  Plus it's perfect in the sleeves and shoulders and generally in the body and like all sweats will definitely stretch out once you wear it more or manually tug on it a little.  I've def been thinking of picking up a strike gold sweat, wish it was colder in la though  :angry:

Segovia - I think the fit of the sweat is good but you could do wonders by wearing your jeans higher up if possible. That way, the sweat will at least partially cover your belt and bring things into proportion. At the moment, the sweat looks short in length because the waistband of your jeans is so low. Hitching your jeans up will also smarten up the silhouette of your bottom half.

I got both my indigo dyed sweat and grey hoodie and we're about the same size (6'4", 215 here) and they'll open up with a little bit of hand stretching like tmadd said.

That being said I think the fit is good for you Segovia, enjoy the hoodie!  I know I'm enjoying mine.  Even though we're going through another heat wave here in Austin.  <_<

I got both my indigo dyed sweat and grey hoodie and we're about the same size (6'4", 215 here) and they'll open up with a little bit of hand stretching like tmadd said.

That being said I think the fit is good for you Segovia, enjoy the hoodie!  I know I'm enjoying mine.  Even though we're going through another heat wave here in Austin.  <_<

It's definitely hoodie weather up here in MN. Thankfully there hasn't been any substantial snow fall yet, but this week is supposed to have highs of about 7 degrees on Friday and Saturday. Fun!

I'm interested to see some details on the new 15 oz Strike Gold denim that SE has coming in.

I think I remember seeing Kiya post something on Instagram about it and it looks pretty nice!

Here's the link, so slubby: http://instagram.com/p/gmp2T5ziHe/

Although I still love the brown weft of the 21XX denim...

I love the hoodie and your fit is not that bad, but the length and shoulders look like 1 size too small for you. I can only speak for me and what i see in that picture, but this would be a fit that was too small for my liking.

Purchase the black or gray in XL and plan to never wash...rather, dry clean only.

The black/grey won't shrink to the extent that the indigo does with normal washing and drying.  You'd have to do a boiling soak, and then blast it already dry in an extremely powerful dryer to come close.  For this reason, the indigo has unique potential to be stretched out in a way that it won't just totally shrink back to how it was new the first time you throw it in a dryer.  

• 2 weeks later...

I actually like that "defect."  I've never had a jean with pronounced loom chatter.... I feel like the main draw to strike gold's fabrics are the insane amounts of character they seem to have.  I can't wait to see josh's (se model) strike golds, I always really really like the look of his jeans.

Hey guys,

Does this look like a defect or just some typical denim irregularity?  Let me know your opinion.  Thanks

3109-A_zpsf66f1740.jpg

3109-B_zps956f2c14.jpg

That's actually not loom chatter, it's a shuttle skip.  We wouldn't sell those from SG, they'd be sent back.

Some brands do this intentionally, some brands it falls through the cracks.  If it wasn't in their intention to sell a jean with a shuttle skip this pronounced the jean is sent back to the brand.  

Kiya, do you know where I could read about this stuff? At least on the internet it seems like information kind of halts at "made on shuttle looms"...  <_<

Honestly.. no.  Your best bet is deep into the archives of Superdenim from about 2004 to 2007.  Those years were the heaviest in talks about the technical aspects of denim.

yeah, i think it's a skip or whatever technical term they call it ... yarn breakage or some sort.  bottom line, it is a defect.  

to add:

usually, when spotted [& technically possible],  they cut around it @the table when they lay out the fabric for the markers.  although,  sometimes it's costlier/time consuming to remedy @mid-production, so they just [quality] control @finishing.

Edited by BrownMetallic

ah man. looking at the pictures on a computer makes a big difference. i didn't even see the first picture on my phone. i'm definitely wrong about loom chatter. i personally don't mind that in my jeans but if youre not happy with it, are you able to send it back to where you bought it? 

Edited by youngofthesoonest

That's actually not loom chatter, it's a shuttle skip.  We wouldn't sell those from SG, they'd be sent back.

Some brands do this intentionally, some brands it falls through the cracks.  If it wasn't in their intention to sell a jean with a shuttle skip this pronounced the jean is sent back to the brand.  

Odd, my 3105s from SENY have at least 2 of these on them. I thought it was all just a minor error in the milling of the denim, not something you would return them to the manufacturer for.

Odd, my 3105s from SENY have at least 2 of these on them. I thought it was all just a minor error in the milling of the denim, not something you would return them to the manufacturer for.

These are common on all jeans which are woven on a shuttle loom, but if it's extreme MOST times the manufacturer or store (if they notice it even) will send it back.  The only brand this doesn't apply to is Roy which believes you should never cut this imperfection out and he leaves it in regardless of the intensity of the shuttle skip or break.