SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

I have a small/dumb? question concerning hairiness of denim, I searched but nothing came up really and I think it's interesting for all of us:

I've noticed that hairiness is also an issue for some people around here

and it's seen as something positive/an extra sign of quality.

20061129_01.jpg

(picture stolen from Moz)

But if I remember correctly, I was once told that when a fabric is hairy like that, it is a sign of low(er) quality, because it shows that the yarn used consists of shorter

(= cheaper) threads, since they are shorter the ends pop out. If the threads would be longer, there would be less ends popping out and the fabric would turn out less hairy.

Anyone out there who could tell me more about this?

It's a bit technical and I hope I managed to make it clear enough.

Anyway, there haven't been enough tecnhical threads on here recently imho.

Oh and if by any chance I could have found this using the search button, please slap me!

Solid looking jeans, too bad they don't have these available in India

I just discovered my girlfriend's mother has an old loom (not sure what kind) which is taking up space in their house.  

Would it be irresponsible of me to commandeer it and put it to use in the living room of my tiny NYC apartment?

I just discovered my girlfriend's mother has an old loom (not sure what kind) which is taking up space in their house.  

Would it be irresponsible of me to commandeer it and put it to use in the living room of my tiny NYC apartment?

Not so much irresponsible, i would consider it your noble duty.

Additionally convince your future mother in law to work the loom on a shift system for 12 hours a day while your out at work for less than minimum wage, if your apartment is dangerously close to collapse while you show blatant disregard to her safety and hazardous working conditions then you my friend will be well on your way to being a player in the global textile trade.

Hello guys,

I'm going to start my raw denim journal and therefore going to buy a nice pair of shoes, Red Wing 875. Due to fact that I have no possibility to try shoes on (not living in a super city) I'm asking your advice; I know that New Balance 574 fits me at 45EUR (10,5UK I assume), should I follow the advice getting half a smaller size than my New Balance? I have a bit wider feet than in average by the way.

Thanks in advance, will be rockin' with some other small questions in the future too :).

-t

How durable is all cotton stitching? I know many Japanese repro brands use it through their jeans, but stuff like poly-core that TFH uses is more durable. And full poly thread is even more so. I'm not a fan of the look when you see like 2 years of wear and 1 wash and the stitching has essentially dissolved out of the jean. Is it the achilles heel as far as durability of repro denim? What's the best way to keep it intact? More frequent washes, like every 60 wears?

I've worn jeans with both types of stitching and honestly I haven't found one to be any better or worse than the other.  But I do think 100% cotton is more vulnerable to breakage if you go too long without washing.  The faded samples I've handled that were washed fairly often tend to be in very good shape overall and not have many problems with threads breaking.

I think that once every two months is a pretty good interval for washing.

I think I might have f'd up my sizing on APC PS and got me a smaller size, as they did not stretch as much as I thought they would.

I had them for 5 months now, I can button up and everything, but it's still kind of uncomfortable and tight in waist and crotch area. Do you think they will stretch a bit more, or should I sell them and get something else?

Edited by shtpic

Thanks Kyle.

shtpic:

If in 5 months they are still not comfortable, it may be time to cut your losses. The waist may continue to stretch if you wet the waistband and artificially stretch it, but the top block will still be tight. And if you're having trouble in the thigh/crotch area, not much is going to budge there. Same thing happened to me, I sized down then outgrew my NS.

Hello people,

I'm looking for a trouser(pant) that is not denim...

Something around a relaxed- casual chino, utility or a fatigue pant. In a grey or brown tone. Not really looking into army greens.

I'd prefer a slightly modern cut - by that I mean not an overly wide leg opening. No more that 8" if possible.

I have looked at left field NYC and I like the style of theirs but would rather a roomier cut (not baggy).

Preferably well made (non sweat). Wouldn't mind some selvage or deadstock fabrics/hardware but it isn't essential.

I have contacted slow boat deadstock before and theirs fit the bill - but they didn't have a fabric for me at the time. See here:

http://slowboatdeadstock.tumblr.com/post/32338430842/slowboat-deadstocks-herringbone-twill-utility

I realise this sounds like a bit of a contradiction in places.

Can anyone suggest some brands, Web stores, specific items I might have overlooked?

Open to any/a lot of suggestions.

Thanks.

Michael

Edited by UkeNo

Good call on the Buzz chinos. I'd also recommend the Cat's Paw line from Toyo. Their chinos are a really nice fit and retail for about £50. Toys McCoy make a superb Steve McQueen Great Escape chino if that floats your boat. The fabric on those is very impressive but you pay for the step up in quality.

I couldn't bring myself to wear chinos. It's the corporate Friday dress down uniform along with a nice polo shirt and brown deck shoes. Sends shivers down my spine...

Its more of a dress up for me according to my old man, Tend to wear mine with a CPO. I do agree with you on the whole ivy look made famous by past US presidents, you need it like you need a hole in the head.

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic