SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

How do I stiffen up worn in jeans? I'm buying some used (softened up) denim and I would like to stiffen them so I can set in my own creases. Do I use liquid/spray starch or will a soak/wash and a hang dry work? How should one starch/what kind?

Thanks mucho

I got some Niagara heavy duty spray from CVS to use after I soaked my new jeans to replace some of the starch that got lost. It worked I guess but not as well as i thought it would. My jeans are a thick 17oz denim though so i dont know if theyre thinner.

Edited by jmfr

Hello denim experts,

I got referred to you by a mate, because I am in doubt about pair jeans I am want to buy. The seller claims they are legit Balmain biker jeans, but I am not sure.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/98676884@N03/

Could you take a look at the pictures and tell me if they are real or not. Will do a proper introduction soon.

Thanks in advance

If you needed a pair of jeans hemming with a chain stitch, would you really care if it was done on a vintage Union Special or a vintage Kansai Special?

Chain stitch is chain stitch, both are exactly the same. I was wondering if there was a sentimental attachment to the Union Special?

There is not much information out there about the Kansai Specials at all, I have spoken privately with some well known guys in the industry who assure me that the Kansai does exactly the same job and the Uni, but does not have the same "soul" and high regard in the minds of enthusiasts.......which is what promped my question really.

Pocketnight: Just fully soak your jeans in water, then hang them up to dry. They should be nice and crunchy.  Starching isn't good for your jeans, don't do it.

I realized that after I replied. I made the mistake of letting my most recent jeans dry before I put them on and i think doing so may have some impact on the creasing and fading in the future.

While we're on the subject, what's everyone's take on pre-soaking sanforized jeans? i've been not to because it removes some of the startch from the manufacturer, but as we've just discussed wearing them while damp contributes to creasing and thus fading. which is better for fading? also, if the soaking makes the jeans more rigid and creased, does the removal of the excess indigo in the water reduce fading? not having to deal with indigo transfer is nice.

Edited by jmfr

If you just soak your jeans in water, they're not going to loose any indigo, but they will feel more crunchy after drying.  This isn't a bad idea if you're starting out with soft, sanforized jeans.

There is not much information out there about the Kansai Specials at all, I have spoken privately with some well known guys in the industry who assure me that the Kansai does exactly the same job and the Uni, but does not have the same "soul" and high regard in the minds of enthusiasts.......which is what promped my question really.

I'm not familiar with the Kansai, but unless it has an identical folding mechanism to the Union Special, it won't have the same exaggerated affect on roping.  From a technical standpoint, this is actually considered a flaw of the folder on the Union Specials, but in terms of authentic reproduction of the original hem put on at the factory from most Japanese brands, it's the correct flaw to have.

I was wondering what is Strike Golds straightest cut? Like a regular straight cut, high rise and full thigh? Something similar to a S0510XX or a FH 3005?

Would I be looking at either the 1101 or the 1103?

Which has the higher rise and roomiest thigh?

I saw some measurements online and they measure a size 29 washed at

Waist. 28.7

Rise: 10.6

Thigh 10

hem 8.3

1101 same size

Waist: 28.5

Rise: 9!

Thigh: 10.4

Hem: 8.1

Source ( Star-Foot)

Is it safe to assume then that the 1101 is a low rise slime straight rather than a regular straight, going by these measurements? The 1103 even at the higher sizes has a supper small thigh which is really odd considering all the other measurements. Anyone on here own either in their regular flag ship 14oz denim and care to comment?

Any recommendation for a 55 type jeans (very straight legs, higher rise, kinda boxy up top and rather loose around the butt)?

I like the FH 3005 sized up a size and the Roy SF01...the SC1955 was incredible.  Otherwise, as far as jeans that are gettable now in the US the Full Count 0105 seem to fit the bill.

Edit: Because beautiful freak knows his full count a whole lot better than I do.

Edited by tmadd

...as far as jeans that are gettable now in the US the Full Count 0105 seem to fit the bill...

Not in the US, currently living in Malaysia. But for some strange reason we have new denim shops popping up all over the place here and they all carry Full Count, Momotaro and N&F.

Might give the guys a go and look for a 0105 locally (if they have reasonable sizes, denimheads around here are rather smallish and so are the sizes that are carried).

Not a question, but I thought it was funny. Had to go through an X-ray machine at the airport and they needed to frisk me because my blue in green n02's were so thick that weird patches were showing up on the readout. TSA guy shook his head and said "you got some stiff jeans."

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic