SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

soak jeans from the knees down

I see what you did there. that is as simple as it gets though simply dip them in the water to the point you want and soak em.

yeah, but how do you recommend I keep them there?  I've got a bath tub, and it seems easier said than done to keep one part submerged without the rest of the jeans falling in.  I dunno, maybe I'm over thinking this but I just thought I'd ask.

yeah, but how do you recommend I keep them there?  I've got a bath tub, and it seems easier said than done to keep one part submerged without the rest of the jeans falling in.  I dunno, maybe I'm over thinking this but I just thought I'd ask.

Boil your kettle then while wearing your jeans pull on your wellington boots, when the kettle has boiled simply pour the boiling water it into your wellies. This will shrink up the lower leg just perfect. Dont over think it just do it!

Options for cinch-back, higher waist/rise but tapered leg?

If you're gonna go with a pre-war jean, go all out.

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/earthmarket/item/leewh-101-triplename/

That size 32 they have in stock is 35 1/2" raw, and unless you go at it with repeated hot washes and the dryer, probably won't shrink below 33 or 34" (I had to get pretty aggressive with the heat to get my Archives late 40s 101Z to shrink down to the tagged 36").  Inseam starts at 37", and again, probably won't shrink below 34" without repeated hot washes.   

Probably more expensive in part because of licensing the Lee name.  And the Warehouse made stuff is really top notch.  As good, or better, than anything anyone else is making, so that's probably part of the higher cost too.  

Foxy has a pair of the size 32 Triple Marks 101s, post wash measurement on page 16 of the Lee thread at DB.  I kick myself in the ass for not getting a pair of these when they came out, but IIRC, with the strong yen at the time, they were pushing $400.    

This is probably a futile question, but does anybody know of a tailor I can trust for a hem of my 710s in the Miami, FL area? I've been putting off getting them hemmed for 7 months now cause I don't want to send them away for 2 weeks, but I may have to just suck it up.

Edited by melbatoast

Any opinion on Scotch & Soda jeans (Amsterdams Blauw)?

I think they have some nice fits in their range. But as most Dutch brand, S&S sometimes is a bit over the top with all their details.

posted in this or that but i think its better for this thread

measurments are

32" waist (true)

~10.5 thighs (true) but i prefer something along of 11"

knees and hem dont really matter

should  i go for low rise or medium higher rise?

im thinking of getting these:

flat head 3001

skull 5010XX

samurai 610

samurai 710

momotaro 705SP

im open to all suggestions and sizing advice/advice in general

knee and hem dont really matter but i prefer slim cuts and im not really looking for anything bootcut, im wondering if high rise will look weird on me because im 5'9 and it might mess with my proportions?

Anyone have this issue? Jeans bunching at the crotch? I feel like the fit is spot on everywhere including the waist but they bunch like crazy at the fly. Is it just due to new stiff denim or what? Any advice helpful

Flat head 3002

1R3WyIU.jpg

y6lTOmB.jpg

HgxSWvV.jpg

Edited by cmboland

It bunches up because there is too much fabric, the waist is too loose, to fix the problem id suggest getting them taken in at the waist and , other than that you will just have to deal with the extra fabric after hot soaks and washes the problem might become less severe but after a while they will stretch back.

So I got my new pair of Samurais and they don't seem to look right. They really flare out from the knee down and have very pronounced knee bags.

00qSGooh.jpg

Z9Y8DO7h.jpg

5wrTPFxh.jpg

What is causing this effect? Are the jeans too long (or even the wrong size)? Or do I just need to break them in a bit more until they fall more naturally? Would it be a bad idea to give them a hot machine wash to get out the remaining shrinkage? I appreciate any help I can get.

Edited by skipsfaster

So I got my new pair of Samurais and they don't seem to look right. They really flare out from the knee down and have very pronounced knee bags.

00qSGooh.jpg

Z9Y8DO7h.jpg

5wrTPFxh.jpg

What is causing this effect? Are the jeans too long (or even the wrong size)? Or do I just need to break them in a bit more until they fall more naturally? Would it be a bad idea to give them a hot machine wash to get out the remaining shrinkage? I appreciate any help I can get.

Hot machine soak and machine dry isn't a bad idea Does your measurements back up the look of them being flared? My PBJ 007 flared a half inch. Also did you put them on wet?

Can someone explain to me what "vertical falling" is when referring to indigo fading?  I know what stacks, whiskers, etc are...but "falling" I'm unfamiliar with unless it's just the thighs fading to a lighter blue...

Edit:  I know I should know this by now...but it's still fuzzy to me, so I figured I'd just ask

Edited by jdmcnary

"Vertical falling" is an incorrect term based on an overly literal mis-translation of a Japanese term; the right term is vertical fading.  In Japanese, 色è½ã¡ (iro-ochi) is the word meaning "fade," literally translated as "color-fall."  The word for vertical fading is 縦è½ã¡ (tate-ochi), literally "vertical fall," which changes the kanji from "color" to "vertical."  I'm guessing this term originated from machine translations of Japanese denim pages. 

(While we're at it, the term "atari" that's thrown around sometimes is basically a catch-all word for points of contrast between light and dark on denim - a whisker, honeycomb fade, even the center faded part on a rolled belt loop - these are all examples of it.  It's pretty much exactly the same as "contrast" in English, in the context of denim terminology.)

Anyway, vertical fading is caused by uneven warp (vertical) threads.  This exposes the warp threads to variable levels of stress, which is why some threads fade faster, causing the vertical texture.  In comparison, most denim has a smoother surface, which results in a uniform rate of fade that doesn't look as textured.  Eternal, Flat Head, and Studio D'Artisan are probably the companies best known for making denim with a strong vertical fade.

Best current mail-in denim repair service?

Denim surgeon. They're New York based and they currently have a running groupon for 40% off. Email them and say you saw the groupon and they will just give you the discount. Cost me $45 including the shipping to get a pair of jeans tapered and hemmed.

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic