SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

coupel of questions regarding my next pair of jeans, SC 40400

1) do they all come in raw state, or are 40400A's available? I haven't been able to find any, but if I could get one-wash ones that would be ideal since it'd be tough to find a place to soak them in my dorm, and I really don't want to mess up the sizing by soaking the jeans incorrectly

2) if i order a pair of 40400s through 2000db through rakuten (say, from here http://item.rakuten.co.jp/kitarou/sugarcane_006/ will the come with the arcuate and tag even with the whole levis suit? They say they have the jeans in stock so I assume they were from the pre-lawsuit days?

3) sizing. I'm a true 31.5 waist I would say, and i like to wear my jeans on my hips so I normally buy a 32 (i wear a 30 in APC rescues, now wish I would have gotten a 29 after all the stretching). What size should I get? I'm leaning toward a 32, but I've heard sizing down might be best since they're pretty stretchy jeans...

EDIT: I should also add, that i'd like to keep them relatively slim through the thigh.

Any insights into these questions? Anyone actually own the 40400s and care to comment? I'm pretty stoked about these beauties and I want to make sure I get it right. :cool:

So, my SDA-103's arrived.. now im about to do the initial soak, and i reckon 1-2 hour cold soak would do it for me... i dont want em to shrink much, maybe a little in the thigh area, and in the inseam.. gonna put a hanger in the waist.. but would 2 hours cold soak be enough ?

Presoak1.jpg

Presoak2.jpg

Presoak3.jpg

coupel of questions regarding my next pair of jeans, SC 40400

1) do they all come in raw state, or are 40400A's available? I haven't been able to find any, but if I could get one-wash ones that would be ideal since it'd be tough to find a place to soak them in my dorm, and I really don't want to mess up the sizing by soaking the jeans incorrectly

2) if i order a pair of 40400s through 2000db through rakuten (say, from here http://item.rakuten.co.jp/kitarou/sugarcane_006/ will the come with the arcuate and tag even with the whole levis suit? They say they have the jeans in stock so I assume they were from the pre-lawsuit days?

3) sizing. I'm a true 31.5 waist I would say, and i like to wear my jeans on my hips so I normally buy a 32 (i wear a 30 in APC rescues, now wish I would have gotten a 29 after all the stretching). What size should I get? I'm leaning toward a 32, but I've heard sizing down might be best since they're pretty stretchy jeans...

EDIT: I should also add, that i'd like to keep them relatively slim through the thigh.

Any insights into these questions? Anyone actually own the 40400s and care to comment? I'm pretty stoked about these beauties and I want to make sure I get it right. :cool:

1) i dunno

2) i dunno

3) mine stretched about 2 inches, i'd say. they basically stretched to hang around my hips, so maybe they'd stretch even more? i'd order your true waist. be aware that these are pretty high rise (especially the back rise) and are designed to be worn about two inches under your navel; i am starting to think you should size down one on these, particularly if you are only going to wash these once per season, as recommended. so maybe go for a 30.

re: slim through thigh-------look elsewhere!

I've heard Hinoya ships to the US, and I think there's a link in the encyclopedia about how to setup a Rakuten account.

I couldn't make sense of it though, so I just pay extra to have 2000db buy stuff for me.

You might have *a bit* more luck navigating if you use the Google translator. Just Google "Google Translation."

google translator got me all the way up until a stage in the checkout.

hmm

Fabric Softener's contain phosphates and I read somewhere that phosphate is bad for the denim.

and to AF Dan, I would just soak them first, S0500xx doesn't shrink as much as the other samurais so you shouldn't have a problem and they will stretch out so it wouldn't be like you soaked them and then couldn't put them on ever again. When I soaked my sams, they shrunk crazy but expansion...wows.

am wearing my SD-103's right now, to set creases, and they fit perfectly.. but they are still a little bit wet...

will i get a nasty shock tomorrow and find them shrunken a lot more than now if i just let them dry out now.?

what is my best bet overall to obtain a pair of sugar canes?

and what is my best bet of determining what size would fit me best without having tried them on before or having much of a basis for comparison?

Which model are you specifically looking at? Self Edge (http://www.selfedge.com/shop) has some excellent measurements of the Okinawas and Union Stars, so check out their webstore. I'm not sure if Self Edge carries Hawaii's but BiG does, and if you email BiG, they will help you with measurements. After getting all the measurements, you should measure a pair of jeans you currently own, and compare with the Sugarcane models...

does BIG give a discount for Superfuture?

No, BiG does not offer a discount, but they do offer returns or exchanges (as long as the item you're sending back isn't altered or soaked/washed), so it's still a great store to order from.

am wearing my SD-103's right now, to set creases, and they fit perfectly.. but they are still a little bit wet...

will i get a nasty shock tomorrow and find them shrunken a lot more than now if i just let them dry out now.?

How wet are they?

BiG's markup isn't much. When you figure in japanese taxes, and shipping(a little bit more if you do it through a proxy if the site doesn't ship to the US). You basically pay on average about $10-25 more at BiG, but BiG allows returns, are really helpful when you call and talk to them about stuff, and they'll do free chain stitching for you. So i'd pay the extra tiny bit(in comparison to $250 for jeans) for the convinience, return policy, helpfulness, and hemming.

I just got my Flat Head 3003xx, and after the initial 3-hour warm soak, they haven't quite shrunk down as much as I want them to. Should I soak them again, or just wear them slightly too big for a few months and then wash them? I don't think that they will shrink enough so that the wear patterns will shift significantly, so this is not an issue if I would choose to wear them without a second soak.

For my next pair of jeans, I'm looking for the stiffest possible. My only "good" jeans are APC NS, so that's my standard to start with. I loved how stiff they were when I first got them and even without washing they still hold the slight rough/stiffnes.

I am under the impression that APC NS are 12.5 oz denim. Would I need to get a heavier denim for more stiffness, or should I be looking for the slubbiest denim, rather than weight? And what brands are known for their stiffness. I read on BIG's website about how Samurai's get tighter and stiffer after the first soak, but didn't know if that was for all Samurai's or just the specific pair I was looking at. It was the model with "Texas Cotton."

Any help is appreciated. I just love stiff, cardboard/sheetmetal jeans. Even before I knew about raw/dry selvage I was always hang drying my jeans so they would be nice and stiff and rough. I'm glad I've found what real denim is like. Thanks.

twistedtrees - a lot goes into whether a particular jean will be stiff or not. usually a heavier weight will be stiffer.

BUT, there are huge exceptions like the Studio D'Artisan D1293 which is 21 oz. but feels like a sweater.

Slubbiness is less of a factor, in my opinion.

Samurai tends to make stiff jeans. Their 19 ounce jeans are very stiff.

Also, you can enhance the stiffness by spraying starch on your jeans. Please consult the denim encyclopedia for starching methodologies.

twistedtrees - a lot goes into whether a particular jean will be stiff or not. usually a heavier weight will be stiffer.

BUT, there are huge exceptions like the Studio D'Artisan D1293 which is 21 oz. but feels like a sweater.

Slubbiness is less of a factor, in my opinion.

Samurai tends to make stiff jeans. Their 19 ounce jeans are very stiff.

Also, you can enhance the stiffness by spraying starch on your jeans. Please consult the denim encyclopedia for starching methodologies.

Thanks, that does help. And about the SDA 21oz beign heavy, yet feeling soft, I had read that in another thread and was wondering about that. Thanks again.

Anybody else have any brand suggestions for stiff jeans?

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic