SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

i have a question for a definitive answer on jean sizing advice:

When people say "go true to size" or "size down 1," what do they mean? do they mean go true to your waist size or size down based on your waist size and the number on the tag? or your waist size and the measurement of the waist on the jeans, not looking at the number on the tag?

Ok, I bought some Levi 506 jeans around christmas time, and noticed they had and still have like some greasy, shiny layer on them. I also noticed that they don't bleed at all onto my trainers. Is it some sort of protective stuff?

I've been lurking a bit and wondered if this stuff is the 'starch'? Sorry if this is just an overly stupid question.

Will washing or soaking them get rid of this or is it just part of the jeans kind of thing?

I asked the same thing a few pages back, would really like to know. Thanks.

I have a dilemma with my PBJ XX-007s (sized down 1)

I just received them yesterday and while the fit was great throughout the legs it was a pain in the ass getting them off. Now I know I'm supposed to soak them before I start actually wearing them but my problem is that while the fit is indeed quite tight the waist remains very large and unsightly.

Basically I'm asking if there's anyway I can soak the jeans and only shrink the waist. I was thinking of something along the lines of stretching the jeans out in a cold soak and then shrinking them all together in a hot soak. I was also considering just having them on when I take a long shower but I don't know if the water is hot enough or if my waist will shrink enough.

when soaking raw denim, i usually put in new hot water every hour and usually stir so that the water is evenly hot. is that a good thing or bad because i spread the indigo?

Unless your jeans are dyed like shit, there shouldn't be any problem. You're not going to lose much more indigo than you would with a "regular" soak.

Ok, I bought some Levi 506 jeans around christmas time, and noticed they had and still have like some greasy, shiny layer on them. I also noticed that they don't bleed at all onto my trainers. Is it some sort of protective stuff?

I've been lurking a bit and wondered if this stuff is the 'starch'? Sorry if this is just an overly stupid question.

Will washing or soaking them get rid of this or is it just part of the jeans kind of thing?

I asked the same thing a few pages back, would really like to know. Thanks.

The greasy layer is probably a resin coating that would prevent the jeans from fading.

noob question

I've been out of the raw denim scene since the early days of when APC New standards were all the rage.

Now I want something with the same bomb-ass fit of MIJ Dior 19cm's but I don't really want to spend $400 on the brand-name, nice-fit and the so-so denim. What are the alternatives currently avaible that's as close to the Dior cut as possible without having to shell out $400? Looking to spend around 200-350 something. Thankssss

I have a dilemma with my PBJ XX-007s (sized down 1)

I just received them yesterday and while the fit was great throughout the legs it was a pain in the ass getting them off. Now I know I'm supposed to soak them before I start actually wearing them but my problem is that while the fit is indeed quite tight the waist remains very large and unsightly.

Basically I'm asking if there's anyway I can soak the jeans and only shrink the waist. I was thinking of something along the lines of stretching the jeans out in a cold soak and then shrinking them all together in a hot soak. I was also considering just having them on when I take a long shower but I don't know if the water is hot enough or if my waist will shrink enough.

i would exchange for one size up. if the legs are really tight now, pre soak, they are going to be almost unwearable after a soak and definitely unwearable after a wash or two. simply soaking doesn't get all the shrinking out of the way.

The shower method would work for what you want, provided you keep wearing them until they are dry, but then, like i said, you won't be able to really wash them normally, ever.

I was asking myself if the selvedge denim is stronger than other denim because I don't want to break my future jeans so i would like to know if I should buy a selvedge denim or not

in most cases selvage denim is made with higher quality, and the edge looks better. so yes, if your planning on wearing the same jeans everyday over a span of a while, get selvaged denim.

I was asking myself if the selvedge denim is stronger than other denim because I don't want to break my future jeans so i would like to know if I should buy a selvedge denim or not

don't buy the hype. denim is not stronger because it is selvedge. often high quality denim is produced as selvedge denim, but the converse is by no means true. there is some really bad selvedge denim out there.

could someone explain to me exactly what the difference is between selvedge denim and regular denim?

and what the difference between sanforized and unsanforized denim are?

literally the only difference is in how the edge of the denim is produced on the loom. Selvedge denim is woven closed at the edge so it won't unravel. "Normal" denim is not so the edges have to be serged (sewn). Check the superdenim encyclopedia for more info.

sanforized denim has been treated so shrinking in water is minimal. Unsanforized denim will shrink a lot in water and the outseam of the legs will twist around as a result of the shrinkage.

literally the only difference is in how the edge of the denim is produced on the loom. Selvedge denim is woven closed at the edge so it won't unravel. "Normal" denim is not so the edges have to be serged (sewn). Check the superdenim encyclopedia for more info.

sanforized denim has been treated so shrinking in water is minimal. Unsanforized denim will shrink a lot in water and the outseam of the legs will twist around as a result of the shrinkage.

thanks for the info. ill check out the encyclopedia.

what is sanforized denim treated with to make the shrinkage in water minimal?

thanks for the info. ill check out the encyclopedia.

what is sanforized denim treated with to make the shrinkage in water minimal?

from what i remember , they put it in machines and stretch/shrink it before they cut the fabric/denim. they treat it with water and steam

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic