SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

presoaking is just for unsanforized jeans, right? otherwise it'd just be to get rid of excess indigo and starch? will it lighten the jeans?

some ppl presoak sanforized jeans also , so that they can mold to your body. usually, a soak doesnt lighten the jeans that much.

you're talking presoaking while wearing the jeans? otherwise i can't see how it'd help the jeans mold to your body.

yup. not super wet, but just damp. also, sanforized jeans are not treated with starch for the sanforization process. pretty much only raw unsanforized jeans NEED to be soaked

^^ yes. unsanforized will shrink a lot more with a soak, maybe 2inches around waist and 3/4 length. As Hendodo said, many people soak sanforized denim as well, me included, as it still shrinks, just not as much.

unless you are soaking shitty cheap jeans then they shouldnt loose much indigo. Jeans like Pure Blue Japan have lots and lots of indigo to start with, and when you soak them the water will be very blue, but it does not really make the jeans appear lighter or faded.

^hmm, well i have a pair of Naked & Famous Weird Guys.. 15oz, and they are stiff as cardboard. literally. they're sanforized but I'm sure there's starch there. I love the stiffness but I just don't want them bleeding all over the place because there is a shitload of indigo dye in them. My fingers were a bit blue after trying them on LOL

^hmm, well i have a pair of Naked & Famous Weird Guys.. 15oz, and they are stiff as cardboard. literally. they're sanforized but I'm sure there's starch there. I love the stiffness but I just don't want them bleeding all over the place because there is a shitload of indigo dye in them. My fingers were a bit blue after trying them on LOL

if you soak, its not like theyre gonna melt down and become limp. my FH also had a lot of dye . i soaked them, they didnt bleed AS much and they were stiff afterwards..

soak them, air dry them excess indigo will be removed and after the air dry, they should still be stiff

yup. not super wet, but just damp. also, sanforized jeans are not treated with starch for the sanforization process. pretty much only raw unsanforized jeans NEED to be soaked

Sanforized jeans oten, I believe, have more starch applied. But most people wouldn't bother soaking them. I seem to get more thread breaks with LVC 47, even after waoking, than I do with my Sanforized Lees.

INdigo by the way is not water soluble. It's mainly abrading that removes it. But - and we need ringring here - by belief is that some indigo doesn't dye the cotton properly and just sits on the surface, that's what you will lose on your first soak.

I don't think a hot soak will partiuclarly lose more indigo, it will merely give more shrinking in unsanforized fabric.

correct, and maybe shrink them a little. At the end of the day, jeans are workwear and the best thing to do is just put them on and wear the shit out of them. Don't worry about little things like the exact temperature to soak them at etc, they'll soften up and mould to your shape after a bit of wear.

Sanforized jeans oten, I believe, have more starch applied. But most people wouldn't bother soaking them. I seem to get more thread breaks with LVC 47, even after waoking, than I do with my Sanforized Lees.

INdigo by the way is not water soluble. It's mainly abrading that removes it. But - and we need ringring here - by belief is that some indigo doesn't dye the cotton properly and just sits on the surface, that's what you will lose on your first soak.

I don't think a hot soak will partiuclarly lose more indigo, it will merely give more shrinking in unsanforized fabric.

not related but I was just reading your 501 FAQ as well and..............wow! you were reviews editor for MOJO magazine?! Kudos!

INdigo by the way is not water soluble.

yeah, you're right. I looked that up today on wikipedia and I was definitely wrong. the wikipedia entry on indigo is pretty interesting though.

I dont know where I read that it is water soluble, but i was definitely wrong.

I need some help in deciding on a pair of jeans. Usually I had worn basic pairs such as Levis (514/501/505/501 STF), but I've been thinking about going to APC or Good Society Slim. Trying to get into an entry level raw denim for the most part.

I know the cuts differ on the two I'm interested in, but I was wondering if people can suggest raw denim (that isn't overly pricey) which may have some room in the thighs, but has a nice taper towards the leg opening. I usually wore 29x30 or 30x30 in Levis.

I need some help in deciding on a pair of jeans. Usually I had worn basic pairs such as Levis (514/501/505/501 STF), but I've been thinking about going to APC or Good Society Slim. Trying to get into an entry level raw denim for the most part.

I know the cuts differ on the two I'm interested in, but I was wondering if people can suggest raw denim (that isn't overly pricey) which may have some room in the thighs, but has a nice taper towards the leg opening. I usually wore 29x30 or 30x30 in Levis.

also look at Naked & Famous weirdguys. they have room in the thighs but the leg openings i think are 7.5".. don't know if that's too tight for you.

apc new standards might work for you.

the Warehouse 660 has thigh room and is a tapered fit. only $220 and all the smaller sizes are there to choose from.

http://blueingreensoho.com/site/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=3062&category_id=&manufacturer_id=4&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=28

denim fades great as seen in the Warehouse Contest thread:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=38472

i don't recommend entry level denim. Great denim is worth its price.

Anyone has bad experiences with drying your jeans in the dryer? I hot soaked my Denime XX type, put it in a quick machine wash in a clothing bag and tumble dried it in my dryer, still in a clothing bag. The bag turned blue and I found weird fadings on all over the entire jeans. Although it's not that noticable unless under bright or direct light, it still sucks. :( And I followed what Denime advised me to do, to hot soak and dry in dryer!!! :( Anyway, most one wash jeans are dried in driers right? So why did this happen in my dryer?

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic