SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

I was watching mythbusters, on discovery channel, and i saw adam wearing a pair of selvage jeans. it was the episode where they walk across hot coals. he had to roll up his jeans, then i saw it. i couldnt tell what kind of jeans they were but thought it was, almost, worth sharing.

I was watching mythbusters, on discovery channel, and i saw adam wearing a pair of selvage jeans. it was the episode where they walk across hot coals. he had to roll up his jeans, then i saw it. i couldnt tell what kind of jeans they were but thought it was, almost, worth sharing.

He shops at Self Edge, so it might be something from our store..

I'm looking for my first pair of raw denim, preferably Japanese (I'm a Japanophile). I'm looking for quality and something which will fade nicely over time. Any thoughts from anyone? Or should i just hop on the subway and ask the folks at BIG? Your responces are appreciated.

Guest Dubmaster

I'm curious to know why a lot of people here are now leaning more toward slim/skinny as opposed to regular fit like lvc 47 sammy 5000vx even the sammy 710 -- I was taking a look at the new SEXFH recent release and judging from the fit pics I saw, they look more like skinny jeans to me. I've seen the fits on cheep, bill from stronghold and jimmy from texas -- their fits reflect the timeless classic look of raw selvage of yester year (they look really cool) -- so when I see really tight fits, it makes me wonder if some of the manufacturers are following a tight slim/skinny jean trend. Isn't that what SUFU superdenim is not. Just my two cents.

Basic Q: I want a pair of raw indigo jeans that fit as close as possible to New Standards, but are made of denim that is: 1) heavier; 2) fades less / slower / with higher contrast. But still as simple as possible, no fancy pocket stitching or anything.

I have a pair of Somet 018s which I like but I find to be a bit too low-rise, and too tapered for what I want in indigo. The 003 is tempting (I like the color and weight of the denim) but that same rise, and when I tried them on, felt like the fit through the leg was looser than the New Standards (but that is hardly scientific).

Ideas? Dark raw indigo, minimal or high contrast fading, normal rise, straight leg (with a slight taper).

I'm curious to know why a lot of people here are now leaning more toward slim/skinny as opposed to regular fit like lvc 47 sammy 5000vx even the sammy 710 -- I was taking a look at the new SEXFH recent release and judging from the fit pics I saw, they look more like skinny jeans to me. I've seen the fits on cheep, bill from stronghold and jimmy from texas -- their fits reflect the timeless classic look of raw selvage of yester year (they look really cool) -- so when I see really tight fits, it makes me wonder if some of the manufacturers are following a tight slim/skinny jean trend. Isn't that what SUFU superdenim is not. Just my two cents.

There has been a trend going on here for a while now, with people going more and more away from what I think is the idea behing repro jeans. A lot of the Superdenim users want cool and fancy denim but don't give a shit about the stories and ideas behind it. When I started reading SuFu, the cool brand was Sugar Cane. Now it's Flat Head, Skull and Samurai which are a lot less traditional in their approach then brands like Canes or Warehouse.

I think it is partly (only partly though) due to Self Edge's influence over boards like Hypebeast and other sneaker/streetwear fora. Most people there don't care or take the time to discover by themselves the reasons why some crazy Japanese people decided to start making these jeans. Having only side of the point, and facing Self Edge's very efficient commercial strategy, they are not left with much choice. Maybe they don't want to have a choice either. The success of the slim Self Edge collabs is, I think, very representative of this trend.

Another reason is just that skinny dark jeans are cool, and getting exclusive skinny dark jeans make you even cooler. Streetwear is a lot about exclusivity and cool. Skinny jeans will eventually go away, as well as the crowd who brought a sneaker mentality to denim. Until then, be patient.

I'd like to add some insight into this....

One major thing that people not in the industry cannot grasp the concept of is what the actual sales of these companies are like...

Many Japanese denim companies, including the ones we love so much here on Superdenim, aren't doing so well financially, a few of the most talked about ones on this board have been literally a few weeks away from closing up shop permanently for a short while now. Sales in Japan for this style of clothing aren't what the were in the late 90's, and these brands are hurting bad. Only a small handful of them are still profitable.

You know what the only things are that's making these brands money (with the exception of Iron Heart)? Slim jeans and collaborations. Yes, the only thing keeping half these companies alive is slim jeans and their special runs of jeans they're doing with stores. Sugar Cane's best selling jean of the past five years is the SEXSC02BSP, the Japanese version of the Self Edge collaboration, keep in mind that this is a brand built on repro cuts... Skull's best selling jean is the 5010, Flat Head's is the 3001/F310, Somet's is their slim cut, etc.. See a trend?

Damn right it's a trend, if it wasn't for the trend some of these guys wouldn't even be producing jeans any more.

thanks for the insight, Kiya... makes me see things in a different (albeit more enlightened) way...

One major thing that people not in the industry cannot grasp the concept of is what the actual sales of these companies are like...

Many Japanese denim companies, including the ones we love so much here on Superdenim, aren't doing so well financially, a few of the most talked about ones on this board have been literally a few weeks away from closing up shop permanently for a short while now. Sales in Japan for this style of clothing aren't what the were in the late 90's, and these brands are hurting bad. Only a small handful of them are still profitable.

You know what the only things are that's making these brands money (with the exception of Iron Heart)? Slim jeans and collaborations. Yes, the only thing keeping half these companies alive is slim jeans and their special runs of jeans they're doing with stores. Sugar Cane's best selling jean of the past five years is the SEXSC02BSP, the Japanese version of the Self Edge collaboration, keep in mind that this is a brand built on repro cuts... Skull's best selling jean is the 5010, Flat Head's is the 3001/F310, Somet's is their slim cut, etc.. See a trend?

Damn right it's a trend, if it wasn't for the trend some of these guys wouldn't even be producing jeans any more.

Guest Dubmaster

Thanks Kiya for putting it into perspective. The bottom line like you said is: "... if it wasn't for the trend some of these guys wouldn't even be producing jeans any more." We would want that. I wish these companies much success, they gotta do what they have to - to stay afloat.

It's always interesting to have your input on these topics and I hope you didn't see my post as an attack. I thought Flat Head's most popular model was the 3005, at least it was the most represented model in last year's Indigo Masters. Still, it seems by looking at Rakuten stores like Bears' best selling models that the slim cuts have not yet completely taken over the market. The aesthetics of the brands too don't change much which I find contradicting with this 'modernization' (for lack of a better word) of cuts. We'll have to see how things are in a few years I guess.

Guest Dubmaster

Have you ever used detergent? If you have, then use the Sammy's as you would any other detergent.

I got some Samurai soap/detergent but I have no idea how to use it...

Any instructions?

Has anyone tried on these Marc Jacobs slim selvage jeans?

mjle4.jpg

Searching only turns up their collab with Wrangler and some ugly relaxed fit model on eLuxury. I can't seem to find any info on the slim cut.

They're on Gilt right now for $88 (here, if you have an account) so I went ahead and ordered a pair.

I too would like to know if anyone has any experience with these jeans. I just ordered a pair as well, but I may have gotten the wrong size. Any idea on how to size these? And how did you size dphi?

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic