SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

I need to soak a raw pair of xx skulls, my tub is a nice claw-foot porcelain tub. do I need to worry about indigo staining the porcelain? it would be an all tragedy if it did. Or..is there anything wrong with soaking in a bucket? do the jeans need to lay flat for some reason?

it's funny, all other raw jeans I've just thrown in the washer on hot, but now I've read that spin cycle can make the indigo discolor if the denim folds...so I thought I'd soak these, they're way big raw and I really want them to shrink down...

thanks..

anyone?

I need to soak a raw pair of xx skulls, my tub is a nice claw-foot porcelain tub. do I need to worry about indigo staining the porcelain? it would be an all tragedy if it did. Or..is there anything wrong with soaking in a bucket? do the jeans need to lay flat for some reason?

it's funny, all other raw jeans I've just thrown in the washer on hot, but now I've read that spin cycle can make the indigo discolor if the denim folds...so I thought I'd soak these, they're way big raw and I really want them to shrink down...

thanks..

Either way...they're just jeans, not the end of the world.

Pricy ass jeans.

That's like blowing a pair of shure, shrugging, then grabbing a $10 pair of buds from Walmart.

I hear ya, though. I don't want to starch them if it isn't necessary. I'm not a big fan of starching denim. You start smelling like a country boy after a while.

The biggest things that contribute to the "cheap denim" feel you are talking about are the agitation of a machine wash and the subsequent loss of starch and the machine drying which can be pretty tough on the jeans. They are just jeans, so don't worry about it...once you have worn them for awhile without washing they will start to build up some texture from the dirt and grime of everyday life and they will feel a lot better. If you want them stiffer again, you can definitely starch them, although I have only had mediocre to bad results when starching, and with as tight as those jeans are on you, you don't need to starch to keep breaking them in. Don't worry about the color loss either, in comparison to most Japanese denim, those Sugarcanes are actually pretty light blue and look better as they get lighter. Just keep wearing the shit out of them, and by summer they will have an amazing broken in, vintage look to them. I saw a pair of SExSCs at the Selfedge party that have me really excited about how they are going to turn out, and made me think about picking up a pair myself.

I come in need of help. New Years Eve was a bad night.

I wasn't thinking straight and washed and dried all of my newly dirtied clothes, including my jeans, in a machine washer and dryer with generic detergent. It was a hot wash without my pants being flipped inside-out.

Afterwards, my denim felt cheap like OE shit, they hella shrunk, and they no longer hold my bodies shape after I take them off. The detergent was a bad idea, but the machine dry probably did the final blow.

They're recovering from their cheap look after returning the wear in them. My only question is should I starch these puppies?

I'd like them to continue breaking in, yet they look and feel too weak to do jack shit anymore.

The color loss was what really got me. They had a deep, rich indigo color before they went on a walk through hell.

I also pose the following question: Would a machine dry or the use of regular detergent do more harm to R/R denim?

-JF

anyone?

thanks..

I soak in a rubbermaid bin...easier clean-up. Or you could always wash with no spin cycle, if your machine offers that feature.

Pricy ass jeans.

That's like blowing a pair of shure, shrugging, then grabbing a $10 pair of buds from Walmart.

I hear ya, though. I don't want to starch them if it isn't necessary. I'm not a big fan of starching denim. You start smelling like a country boy after a while.

I know what you're feeling, but washing isn't the end of the world...in the end, they'll probably look the same as if you waited to wash.

Anybody have any 5EP LDB in dark resin? Looking to pick up a pair, and am usually a size 30 in raw stuff (sized down 1 from what I wear in non raw stuff), but unsure if I should go true to size on these or size down one. Problem is the place I'm ordering from doesn't have 31's, but I'm still unsure about the 30's as I assume the resin doesn't allow for a whole lot of stretching.

what causes the "knee-bulge" and how do i get rid of it?

When you sit down or bend your legs, your knees stretch the denim. I don't think there's much you can do about it unless you dont ever bend you knees, and when you hot soak your jeans they should shrink back to close to normal, but it wont last sadly

When you sit down or bend your legs, your knees stretch the denim. I don't think there's much you can do about it unless you dont ever bend you knees, and when you hot soak your jeans they should shrink back to close to normal, but it wont last sadly

You can also put a towel inside the leg and spray the knee with a spray bottle.

thanks.. my jeans have an insane knee bulge, makes my legs look weird but i guess ill live with it

The biggest things that contribute to the "cheap denim" feel you are talking about are the agitation of a machine wash and the subsequent loss of starch and the machine drying which can be pretty tough on the jeans. They are just jeans, so don't worry about it...once you have worn them for awhile without washing they will start to build up some texture from the dirt and grime of everyday life and they will feel a lot better. If you want them stiffer again, you can definitely starch them, although I have only had mediocre to bad results when starching, and with as tight as those jeans are on you, you don't need to starch to keep breaking them in. Don't worry about the color loss either, in comparison to most Japanese denim, those Sugarcanes are actually pretty light blue and look better as they get lighter. Just keep wearing the shit out of them, and by summer they will have an amazing broken in, vintage look to them. I saw a pair of SExSCs at the Selfedge party that have me really excited about how they are going to turn out, and made me think about picking up a pair myself.

Definitely do. They're worth every cent.

Thanks you very much for the reply. That helps a lot. It's all very good information to keep in my head.

-JF

They aren't the best cut for me, so I am in the process of trying to convince my girlfriend to buy them. That way I get so see a pair break in, but don't have to stop on my impossible ironhearts.

Definitely do. They're worth every cent.

Thanks you very much for the reply. That helps a lot. It's all very good information to keep in my head.

-JF

I own the SC41955 of whose denime the SExSC is based on. I've washed these jeans over 5 times now, and they will only improve with age. The OE feel on these jeans is deliberate. They aren't meant to be as slubby as a pair of Sams. They'll break down great over time. Just keep wearing them.

what causes the "knee-bulge" and how do i get rid of it?

knee bulge is caused by the stretching of denim over your knee cap as you sit/squat down. Most of the time you have to just live with it. One way to avoid it is to wear more baggier jeans. Knee bulge is less prominent on loose fit jeans. Knee bulges are also lessened by the size of your thighs. Large thighed guys in tight jeans tend to have less prominent knee bulges.

I'm looking for a new pair of jeans. I would like to get myself a pair of Japanese denim; something in the veign of Skull and brands alike. Now, I have no clue about the models. When I check sites like BIG or Selfedge they never seem to look real slim or even skinny. I'm looking for a pair of jeans that has the same kind of slim/skinny cut as a pair of New Cures or 19cm's. Could someone suggest me to look into certain brands or models of jeans?

I'm looking for a new pair of jeans. I would like to get myself a pair of Japanese denim; something in the veign of Skull and brands alike. Now, I have no clue about the models. When I check sites like BIG or Selfedge they never seem to look real slim or even skinny. I'm looking for a pair of jeans that has the same kind of slim/skinny cut as a pair of New Cures or 19cm's. Could someone suggest me to look into certain brands or models of jeans?

Well, for something EXACTLY like the 19cms, you could wait until Selfedge releases the Imperial collaboration that is based on the 19cms (January 19 I believe) or you could go with the slim Dry Bones. Also, the slimmest Somets and John Bull Sewing Chops on BIG are pretty skinny.

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic