SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

I have heard that it is important in most cases to soak your denim before wearing. I am looking into the PBJ XX-05 and was thinking I wouldn't soak and just wear them unwashed because I don't want to sacrifice any of the indigo and starch. Plus I am not sure if they would look good after a soak considering there already kinda slubby. Is it a bad idea to not soak them? Would someone be so kind as to tell me why soaking these would be a good idea? any opinions helpful

thanks

You need to soak them. They are going to shrink when the eventually touch water so you need to soak them to begin with to avoid size issues later on. The wear patterns will also shift post wash/soak if you do not soak them originally. The slubbiness will not change...

What does it mean if jeans are considered "antifit"?

I have heard Levi 501s called antifit... is this accurate?

The first jeans were based on very simple patterns; on the very first Levi's, the pattern is less curved around the ass, hence the ass in cross section is less fitted, so extra fabric can bulge around the bottom of your ass. Sometimes, as on the 55 Levi's it looks a bit triangular, as opposed to round.

iIt's a classic look, which is why it's popular, but is has a different effect depending on the style of the jean. A classic antifit cut would be a LEvi's 1955, or an 1880s cut. On the 501, the most fitted are the 66 and 70s cuts, plus the 90s ones.

Trying to get a straight fit pair of jeans. Not slim, not relaxed, but some where in between. Options are PBJ xx-005 and Samurai S5000VX.

Are these a similar cut?

I have Average Joe's in a size 33 that have stretched out to around a 35 and I have a tiny bit of room to spare. so I guess my true waist is about a 34.5-35.

Do these two stretch back out much after the first hot soak? They have how much other kinds of the PBJ and Samurai shrink, but not these particular ones. Maybe it's the same for all. Does the PBJ really shrink as much as BIG says? 2 inches in the waist?

BIG says the PBJ 33 measures 35.5 and the Samurai is 33 in the waist. Would that be the way to go for me to compensate for shrinking/stretching?

Hey guys. I'm a noobie here.

What do you guys mean when u soak or when you wash the denim?

When u guys say soak 60 degrees etc, do u guys soak ur denims in the washing machine or in a pail of water that you literally measure the temperature?

Regarding bout the washing, do you guys wash with normal clothing detergent or the denim detergent that is apparently less harsh on the denim.

Also, if you guys soak your denim, wouldn't it be sort of clean? So why wash your denim if it's already 'clean' when soak?

Sorry 'bout the noob questions but just curious 'bout it. :))

soak is just what it is, a soak in a tub or bucket.

A wash is in a machine. but stay away from spin cycles. so that means most laundromats.

Not sure if anyone is breaking out the rectal thermometor and testing the water's temp. Just go for a luke warm and you'll be fine.

Normal detergent is a no no, denim deterget is good, or you can use Dr. Bronner's soap.

A soak kind of cleans your jeans, a wash is better, but you'll loose more indigo, but they just jeans man.

Does levis make a cheap raw denim thats a skinny/slim fit? im looking for something for a friend, not the 501.. too baggy.

Could you possibly size down a 501 enough that the legs get slim and try to stretch the waist back out to raw measurements?

Does levis make a cheap raw denim thats a skinny/slim fit? im looking for something for a friend, not the 501.. too baggy.

Could you possibly size down a 501 enough that the legs get slim and try to stretch the waist back out to raw measurements?

514 Raw:

http://www.americanjeans.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=483&currency=USD

No mud thread in stickies,

so, how do i remove a good amount of mud on various areas of my jeans without washing?

Its dry now.

I've had loads of mud on my jeans; i simply left it, and it rubbed off leaving no traces.

If that doesn't work, try removing it with a dry brush. If any stubborn areas remain, spot clean, it won't make any perceptible difference to fading. I use a handwash block soap, the kind of thing your mom or granny would use for cleaning collars/cuffs before washing.

So my jeans are developing a hole at the inside left leg opening on the right side. This is probably happening because my left leg leg opening is rubbing up against the right one when I walk. So far its just wearing down, its a very thin line that runs near the seam that has no indigo and is just down to white denim. I am afraid a hole is going to bust wide open and ruing my jeans. What should I do? Take it to a tailor and have it patched? Will the patch even do anything?

holes dont ruin jeans, they make them better. anyway...

it seems to me that all the pink-line selvage denim is similar. its always 13.75 oz(post-launder) very dark and hairy, and the weft always looks the same. for example, the denim for my regular full count 1108s looks like denim#41 from yofukuten, as well as the denim from the denim from real japan blues. please someone comment on this. im going crazy.

Okay here is a stupid question that has been answered 1 million times, but I can't seem to find in searches.

I've got a pair of APCs i've worn about 6 months. They've been soaked before.

I want to wash them and would really like to get a good deal of contrast and color loss BUT I don't want to have the inseam shrink.

Can I wash them on warm or hot watter and hang dry them? Or will washing them in hot water make them shrink no matter what?

Are there any other sites that carry 1947 501's besides Cultizm?

If I'm in between a 32 to 33 waist size, would it be best to order a 34 or 35?

Is this right?

The 34 is technically a 33 and will shrink to a 31 and then stretch to a 32.5?

Am I correct in that logic? If so, would a 35 be better? All help/comments are appreciated.

I'm not able to try them on anywhere locally so want to be correct the first time.

i am ready to pull the trigger on a pair of Sorahiko 08 O/W, especially given that they offer a really good return policy if it doesn't fit just right. originally i thought about getting the contest Fullcount 1105 or even the SDA SD-103, but for whatever reason I am leaning towards the 45rpm denim. this will be my first pair of japanese denim and if anyone has any input or suggestions that would be greatly appreciated.

Do these look too short. I know technically they are, but I think they still work.

I've never had a problem with wearing white jeans... apart from the fact that they get dirty and are see-through. However, these feel pretty heavy weight. and I don't care that they'll get dirty. I think I might even make them my work/paint jeans.

Levis 550

waist 33

inseam 32

WhiteLevis2.jpg

I know there has been tons of talk about this, but I did a search and couldn't find the answer. I know a lot of people do a hot soak in a tub. How do you do it in the wash? Do you just wash your jeans like normal clothes, but don't add soap and put them in the dryer? Also, if you wash them before wearing like this, will they still fade?

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic