SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

-_- this forum is killing me. i'm in korea and i won't be coming back for awhile and since it's so close to japan and since the won is higher in value than the yen than it has been years i want some japanese denim, but i want japanese denim that isn't available in the states. otherwise i could just buy in the states in a month and a half. any suggestions?

Check

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=12729

There's a lot of denim out there...and it's all in here...

Check

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=12729

There's a lot of denim out there...and it's all in here...

I swear I've read like every single post of almost every single thread in there even the "who's the original repro maker" thread for obscurity and the entire samurai denim thread for amount. and most are available in the states either at SE, Context, BIG, or one of their own stores. Is there anything I can cop while I'm here? I COULD probably find something if I read all the threads again, but is there anyone out there who can think of a jean that isn't available in the us, but is in japan? I need inspiration people.

its my birthday in a few days, and the missus is in japan at the moment, so i thought i might take advantage of the settup to aquire some new jeans..

im looking for a slim cut dry pair, but with selvedge. hems under 7inch.. (obviously japan made) that will give a nice fade, dont mind denim/weave types, as long as they are of a really nice quality.

a pair worthy (and of good enough quality to) be kept basicly, forever.

i am in reality a bit of a noob with denim, so would really appreciate any recomendations!

cheers

T

highstreet, there aren't many japanese jeans that fit the bill to my knowledge (selvedge + inseam under 7" is pretty rare), but definitely check out skull jeans 5010xx6x6 - they are very slim, mid-low rise, selvedge denim (beautiful colour) etc etc etc. Only problem is there have been a lot of complaints about the durability of skulls (mainly due to their use of 100% cotton thread, rather than poly-cotton which is much more common these days).

Also check out samurai 710xx (although these are probably not quite as slim as you want).

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Oh actually, if you can find some levis 606s (generally available in japan), they are pretty fuckin sweet - normalish thigh/upper leg, but really tapered leg (like 15/16cm). Not selvedge though. Hope this helps.

skulls look nice :)

whats the difference between the 5010XX 6x6 and the standard 5010XX?

they make a selvedge white skinny jean too.. thats pretty awesome!

EDIT: perhaps upto a 21cm hem maximum. but thats absolute max.

EDIT2: noob - 6x6 is the two thread guages. figured it out now.. translated the japanese.

I swear I've read like every single post of almost every single thread in there even the "who's the original repro maker" thread for obscurity and the entire samurai denim thread for amount. and most are available in the states either at SE, Context, BIG, or one of their own stores. Is there anything I can cop while I'm here? I COULD probably find something if I read all the threads again, but is there anyone out there who can think of a jean that isn't available in the us, but is in japan? I need inspiration people.

Try these, they look nice and I'm pretty sure they are not available outside of Japan

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=22582&page=4 The steam locomotive ones

Or perhaps some Real McKoys?

Hi, finally biting the bullet and posting (if it's a thick enquiry and been asked/answered elsewhere - and I have looked - then please politely tell me I am being dumb!)...

After either Lee Riders 101 Z ('Beatles') or Levis Vintage 1947 Dry Goods / Levis 1955 501 Dry Goods (still trying to fathom the differences there) in an attempt to get some decent fitting (read no belt needed and one 1" turn up or none for non-ruched fit on leg) early to mid 1960's look.

Been pouring over here for ages and it's almost like sitting a chemistry exam ;-)

Have my first selvedge jeans here in the guise of some Lee Gold Label Originals 101 (Dry/dark, zipped, leather patch, made in Poland). Bought in a 34/32 worn daily for 2 weeks not washed/soaked etc. They are longer than I want (and was when I bought them) and the waist that was snug has relaxed and become slightly baggy. Lee (Carnaby Street) advised not washing too often, washing cold, inside-out and folded. Now I may go for one warm wash to bring the waist back in and possibly lift the leg length - but to my point (apologies for verbal diarrhea)...

I'm probably after a 33/31 finished jean that I don't mind fading but don't want to wash too often - so... should I go for the 34/34 in the Lee and warm wash the leg up and waist in - hoping for the waist to loosen with wear (is the 101z 'Beatles' likely to move in a wash?).

More to the point in Levis - size down 32/32 and not warm wash and hope the waist softens out or go 36/34 - 34/34 and hit a warm wash?

I appreciate it'll possibly be different depending on the Lee or Levis - but size-down and not wash versus wash to shrink is really what I'm trying to make clearer in my mind - and what's queered it is my experience with unwashed selvedge becoming looser in the waist and needed a lift in the leg.

Thanks for any help in advance and also apologies for any dumbness due to my virgin-post status.

Cheers y'all - patience appreciated.

In answer to your final point.

I'd never recommend wearing unsoaked unsanforized raw denim because when you come to wash it, it will shrink and any fading/wear will move with it. Also the starch in the jeans will make them uncomfortably stiff to wear.

I'd say soak (warm or hot) if you want more shrinkage some raw denim. When buying them don't size up as much as you may have done, thereby accounting for the stretch. As for the length, you can always hem them after you soak to get the perfect fit.

Hi, finally biting the bullet and posting (if it's a thick enquiry and been asked/answered elsewhere - and I have looked - then please politely tell me I am being dumb!)...

After either Lee Riders 101 Z ('Beatles') or Levis Vintage 1947 Dry Goods / Levis 1955 501 Dry Goods (still trying to fathom the differences there) in an attempt to get some decent fitting (read no belt needed and one 1" turn up or none for non-ruched fit on leg) early to mid 1960's look.

Been pouring over here for ages and it's almost like sitting a chemistry exam ;-)

Have my first selvedge jeans here in the guise of some Lee Gold Label Originals 101 (Dry/dark, zipped, leather patch, made in Poland). Bought in a 34/32 worn daily for 2 weeks not washed/soaked etc. They are longer than I want (and was when I bought them) and the waist that was snug has relaxed and become slightly baggy. Lee (Carnaby Street) advised not washing too often, washing cold, inside-out and folded. Now I may go for one warm wash to bring the waist back in and possibly lift the leg length - but to my point (apologies for verbal diarrhea)...

I'm probably after a 33/31 finished jean that I don't mind fading but don't want to wash too often - so... should I go for the 34/34 in the Lee and warm wash the leg up and waist in - hoping for the waist to loosen with wear (is the 101z 'Beatles' likely to move in a wash?).

More to the point in Levis - size down 32/32 and not warm wash and hope the waist softens out or go 36/34 - 34/34 and hit a warm wash?

I appreciate it'll possibly be different depending on the Lee or Levis - but size-down and not wash versus wash to shrink is really what I'm trying to make clearer in my mind - and what's queered it is my experience with unwashed selvedge becoming looser in the waist and needed a lift in the leg.

Thanks for any help in advance and also apologies for any dumbness due to my virgin-post status.

Cheers y'all - patience appreciated.

Your question is so long..I think I feel asleep reading it...

:(

Id like to order some stuff to the USA from both hinoya and earthlink. I know there is a prior thread/post on how to do this but Ive tried a search but could find it. Could someone link me with a how to. Or any other info

I think this is the right site but want to be sure before giving out any credit card info: http://www.rakuten.ne.jp/gold/super-rag/info-en/#bottom

Can someone also confirm that hinoya will accept this before i spend the time putting in my info.Or as do you have to shop through the superrag site. If so, im a bit confused how to order a speciic size. some pages have box checks which is great but others dont. See http://www.rakuten.co.jp/super-rag/496131/637562/

How would one select a waist size?

Finally, what do you do after you get the id. I understand you add no. to a japanese website. But how do you navigate a shopping cart in japanese?

im at caledoniasoulmusic-tubes AT yahoo.com

thanks in advance

maybe this has been asked before.. I don't know.

After soaking or washing denim, what is best next? wear them when damp? wait for them to dry?, but if you wait, won't the creases not be in the same place that they used to be since they shrunk? Thanks.

Highstreet -

Max of 21cm hem widens your options substantially. That being the case, I would suggest you check out the Eternal 811. Beautiful denim, good slim straight cut (modeled on the 66 501s), sturdy construction. There are many more options, but my personal choices would be between the Eternals, the Samurai 710s, and the Skulls (except for the durability issues).

Hello hello

I need to buy a pair of raw Levi's jeans. The jeans that I wear now are the RRDS, 5EP Low Down Boot and KMW 1950, and Rag &Bone RB11.

I assume the 47 LVC 501 is the best option, right?

Next, how the hell do you size these? Is there a shrink component? I took a 32x32 in ALL of those jeans -- WHICH size would I take in the LVC's?

Jones boy- I've got a feeling that the 101z's come in a 36 leg only. To my knowledge there's noone in London that can do chainstitching (not that i've found, anyway) so you'd ruin the hem if you chopped' em down. The lee's are a lovely denim tho'. Tried 'em on in Carnaby st myself. But if i'm not mistaken, a 60's lee wouldn't have a salvage so they're not historically correct (assuming you give a shit:) )

I think you're after the same sort of size/fit as me. Just want a decent leg length with no bunching and minimal turn-uppage.

In Levis, I would suggest going for a 34x34 or maybe risking a 34x32 and do a short warm wash.

got a similar problem- just picked up some raw 47's in a 33 x 34. They fit pretty well in the waist already in their pre-shrunk state so getting quite scared of shrinking them down and not being able to squeeze myself into them, and them still being too long.

D'oh

Feel free to PM me with further thoughts

I've just purchased two pairs of unsanforised raw denim jeans: Duffer/oki-ni collaborations, with a 34” waist and 35” inseam and I’ve been told to expect 7 to 10% shrinkage. They’re a little big around the waist (I'm 33") so I want to shrink them slightly before wearing and hemming. How long should I soak them for and at what temperature?

Probably a couple of hours in a warm bath will do ya.

Nice to see lots of fellow londoners on here.

Hi CottonDuck.

Tagged and actual waist size are the same: 34" and I want 33"ish.

Inseam is 35" and I'm not too fussed about length because I'm about 30"(ish) and will hem them when all the shrinkage has taken effect.

Mr Black. That's exactly what I was going to do, but was seeking an ideal temperature and length of soak time. Have you seen the oki-ni sale, BTW?

Thanks all

I'd say chuck 'm in the tub with the hottest water you can get from the tub for atleast 2 hours, might overshrink a tiny bit but nothing that won't stretch back out with wear.

I always like wearing them when still damp so the waist stretches and the creases will set.

Shrinking and stretching has been discussed on here a great deal and really isn't that scary as it may seem at first.

Cosmic- nope, not seen the oki-ni sale, although I did pick up a very nice pair of Duffer selvages at their sample sale a year or so back- £25. Currently at the tailors being reconstructed (the lower leg turned out a bit wider that I wanted.

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic