SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

Been lurking around the forums for a couple of months now, I always seem to get most of my questions answered by other people, but this one is a little more specific. I'm headed into LA tomorrow and I am planning to go to American Rag on La Brea for my first time, I understand they carry lvc, Nudie, Aprill77, and CM. Mainly wondering what else brands they carry. Also I'm mainly interested in finding some raw black dukes does anybody know where i could possibly find those around LA, or another nice pair of raw blacks with an inseem of 36 or bigger. Thank you very much.

so im a denim newbie and i picked up a pair of gap williamsburg for my 1st pair of dry denim. it's been about ~3 months and they've seemed to stretch a bit, so i figure they're due for a soak.

i just need some confirmation on method, would i just put these in a tub of hot water for about ~2 hours and then hang dry them? if i want to clean them too, should i add a bit of detergent into the tub of water?

i've also heard/read that whether or not i wash inside-out or outside-out does not matter, is that true?

thanks

Snugglepony: On the Take5 website there are some Samurai jeans called

"Samurai S0510XX66II 66 Cutting Jeans"

There's not much information on them, I'm just not familiar with the term "Cutting Jeans" :confused:

the cut of these samurais is based on the levi's 501 produced in 1966. LVC, sugarcane and others make a "'66 cut" reproduction, as does samurai. for some reason, i see a lot of translated japanese with the noun "cut" transformed into the present participle "cutting," just like in the "boot cut" --> "boots cutting" example i gave in my earlier post.

hope that helps.

Been lurking around the forums for a couple of months now, I always seem to get most of my questions answered by other people, but this one is a little more specific. I'm headed into LA tomorrow and I am planning to go to American Rag on La Brea for my first time, I understand they carry lvc, Nudie, Aprill77, and CM. Mainly wondering what else brands they carry. Also I'm mainly interested in finding some raw black dukes does anybody know where i could possibly find those around LA, or another nice pair of raw blacks with an inseem of 36 or bigger. Thank you very much.

Don't know where to get dukes in lala, but basically you've named pretty much all the brands worth checking out at the AR denim store. They also carry Diesel, Evisu, G-Star, JBrand, PPD, and I think a couple of local LA brands, but slim pickins in terms of sufu-approved brands.

oh i think they have ksubi as well.

Is Dior/Dior Homme a men's sub-label of Christian Dior, or are they a completely separate company?

Christian Dior founded the brand (obviously!), that was originally called after his name. Then it sometimes became Dior. Dior Homme is the name Slimane gave to the man line a few years ago. Same company, different lines and collections.

Hello everyone

Ive got a pair of 32 x 32 nudie Regular Alf

I didnt really notice how bootcut they are, so i need to get them tailored to straight leg, and get 2 inches taken off.

There are two tailors i know near me , so thats not an issue, its just making sure they stay true to the denims quality. Any tips on how to get my points across to the tailor, they are washed so i wanted to keep the distressed hem, vivid stitching colour and to let them know i'd like them about 18" ankle opening.

From experience i know i always forget somthing, or express it to people wrong so has anyone got any tips on what i need to say, and how to explain it to someon whos used to doing wedding suits and the like?

Thanks, Twenty

So, I just got my first pair of Raw Sugar Cane 1947 501s in 34x34. I'm really a 31"-32" inch waist, so I bought them a couple sizes up to account for the shrinkage. I'd like to get the most shrinkage I can out of my first soak, so was just looking for suggestions on how to do this properly. Any info anyone can share would be highly appreciated.

So, I just got my first pair of Raw Sugar Cane 1947 501s in 34x34. I'm really a 31"-32" inch waist, so I bought them a couple sizes up to account for the shrinkage. I'd like to get the most shrinkage I can out of my first soak, so was just looking for suggestions on how to do this properly. Any info anyone can share would be highly appreciated.

Heat makes stuff shrink the most...hot water, hot dryer. But before you do anything drastic, I would just try the standard warm water 1 hour soak and let them air dry...see how much they shrink and go from there. I think you may have sized up a bit too much though, so you'll probably have to do your initial plan of drastic-shrinking methods.

Hello everyone

Ive got a pair of 32 x 32 nudie Regular Alf

I didnt really notice how bootcut they are, so i need to get them tailored to straight leg, and get 2 inches taken off.

There are two tailors i know near me , so thats not an issue, its just making sure they stay true to the denims quality. Any tips on how to get my points across to the tailor, they are washed so i wanted to keep the distressed hem, vivid stitching colour and to let them know i'd like them about 18" ankle opening.

From experience i know i always forget somthing, or express it to people wrong so has anyone got any tips on what i need to say, and how to explain it to someon whos used to doing wedding suits and the like?

Thanks, Twenty

maybe call the place where you bought the jeans, or a similar store in your area, and ask what tailor they use...I would avoid the wedding-suit-tailors

so im a denim newbie and i picked up a pair of gap williamsburg for my 1st pair of dry denim. it's been about ~3 months and they've seemed to stretch a bit, so i figure they're due for a soak.

i just need some confirmation on method, would i just put these in a tub of hot water for about ~2 hours and then hang dry them? if i want to clean them too, should i add a bit of detergent into the tub of water?

i've also heard/read that whether or not i wash inside-out or outside-out does not matter, is that true?

thanks

you don't need to soak them unless they're really stinky...they'll shrink back to the inital size...and then an hour later will be stretched right back out again, so there's not much point. If you really want to though, skip the soap, warm water in the bathtub for an hour or so. If you add detergent, you're going to have to rinse them after or re-soak to get the soap out.

inside-out rules only really apply when machine washing...soaking/handwashing is gentle enough that it really doesn't matter imo.

well come to think of it when i bought em at the store they did smell a bit funny, but i thought that was just the smell, and i didnt think much of it, but then as i took them off i did smell like sweat

i duno mayb this pair was tried on alot of times and peoples sweat got on em??

so if i leave my jeans in the freezer overnight they wont damage or anything?

no, the freezer won't damage them...they'll be clammy when they "thaw" though...but them in a bag or something first so they don't end up smelling like meat.

...if I were you though, I would just wash them.

Heat makes stuff shrink the most...hot water, hot dryer. But before you do anything drastic, I would just try the standard warm water 1 hour soak and let them air dry...see how much they shrink and go from there. I think you may have sized up a bit too much though, so you'll probably have to do your initial plan of drastic-shrinking methods.

Yea, I definitely went a size or two larger than I should have, but didn't want to bother with shipping them back if I could get a shrink out of them. Thanks a lot for the info, they're soaking right now. I'll post back later with the results.

Hey folks—

Just won these off ebay:

a185_1.jpgaca2_1.jpg

Unfortunately, when I clarified the size with the seller, turns out, that they're too big. Does anyone know if these are sanforized? It doesn't say if these are Japanese or not. Should I try a hot soak?

i need some help choosing some jeans,

i want something with a slim fit, but at the same time, looks good with trainers like AM1 AM90 etc. i am about 5'10 and have size us 10 feet, so if the jeans are too skinny it can make me look like i have clown feet

can anyone reccomend any jeans?

Kicking Mule 1980, APC New Standard, Studio D'Artisan 103, Samurai S5000, Dior 21cm, Pure Blue Japan 005...the list goes on. Be more specific - ie price range, your location, heavyweight, lightweight, etc.

Ang, for everyone else's reference, a lot of the current lee reissues, which were traditionally sanforized aren't. They're made oversized and SHOULD shrink down to ticket size. It is really confusing and inconsistent, but my guess is that is the case here. Checl with aeroleather.com, who do a lot of lee, if you're not sure.

this may be a dumb question, but what do you guys do in the winter with your raw denim? do you just keep wearing it through all the snow/ice/salt and crap that normally gets on your jeans?

you wear them...if you're fussy about the salt, just take a damp cloth and rub off the stains on the bottom of the legs when you get to your destination.

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic