The Sneakers we wear with our jeans

Flash

Apart from Adidas Kick and Puma  trainers (not forgetting the ubiquitous black PE plimsole or Dunlop green flash) in the late 70's/early 80's, the only notable trainers l can remember were 2 pairs of Adidas, would've been 1998/99/early 2000 at the latest. Can't remember the model names but one pair were a dusky suede like green with 3 thick white stripes and the other, less interesting pair, were grey with no notable features.

Also, as Maynard has pointed out, l had some Converse 'Skath' star (not 'Skate') in around 1998/9, but despite research they do not exist, although similar Skate star models do - but nothing exacting mine. Looked for them over the years but nothing.

Some pics. Managed to find the box to the light green adidas; made in china so...?  Here is also a pic of the grey ones (rocked with some vintage Lee's). The only pic of the Skath star's  worn with 1970's Levis cords and velour pocket tee (that's my mum btw).

20210531_055224.jpg

20210529_150017.jpg

20210529_145947.jpg

Edited by Dr_Heech

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got some new Vans today, inspired by my friend Rob (raw.denim.ocd), who has a similar pair. Collaboration with FDMTL. Wild but fun, like the socks which don’t match, I know. 

EC14F50A-4CE5-4D04-AB19-8B34C0EEFC19.jpeg

A614C7B5-E75D-44A6-95E9-D6A8D45CA238.jpeg

C2B05389-9E87-43D0-B4A1-4EA395682E25.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I got these Adidas hender schemes ZX500RM a while back but didn’t end wearing them all that often. Now that I’m in shorts half the year at least, they’ve been worn a lot more. Nice seeing the leather starting to darken and look less pink haha

45FE71D4-6173-4B6C-82CE-2E827A6B1B48.jpeg

8D0AFE56-0D3E-4A04-8D65-7616BBD79048.jpeg

2F9CDC96-D67E-4C94-94B0-2AE71879BBF9.jpeg

Edited by youngofthesoonest

On 6/27/2021 at 3:35 PM, JohnM said:

Got some new Vans today, inspired by my friend Rob (raw.denim.ocd), who has a similar pair. Collaboration with FDMTL. Wild but fun, like the socks which don’t match, I know. 

EC14F50A-4CE5-4D04-AB19-8B34C0EEFC19.jpeg

A614C7B5-E75D-44A6-95E9-D6A8D45CA238.jpeg

C2B05389-9E87-43D0-B4A1-4EA395682E25.jpeg

I have the sk8 lows of these but the amount of indigo on them makes it hard to wear it anything I typically wear. I do like them a lot... great looking shoes

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sure I mentioned these a few pages back 

Donny 1 

20210719_094450

20210719_111313

20210719_104920

Always wanted a pair of jordan 1 Chicago's but no chance I was ever gonna pay reseller prices ( the whole reseller thing disgusts me ) . I love the concept of the Donny's , being a reproduction of a bootleg jordan 1 ( there based on the pro jogg jordan bootlegs ) 

pro-joggs-honors-sport-fake-jordan-1_fsbvym

Edited by Flash

• 3 weeks later...

@JMS that's a good point, I just looked at a few more press release photos and they don't look as weird as the ones above. 
I've never had any issues with the heel cups getting messed up in my experience but that's good to know.
I'm not really into sneakers, but I've been thinking about a pair of MiUSA 993s lately. Maybe I should get these Levi's ones. :laugh2:
levis-authorized-vintage-new-balance-992
(Disregard the ugly pants...)
levis-authorized-vintage-new-balance-992

^^They're slightly more tastefull than the Levi's x AJ4 collab from a few years ago :D

https://sneakernews.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/levis-air-jordan-4-ao2571-401-official-images-1.jpg

I remember laughing at these on release then inhaling my coffee when they started cropping up on ebay for $2000 a few weeks later...Mirror-esque ;)

On 7/19/2021 at 11:33 AM, Flash said:

Always wanted a pair of jordan 1 Chicago's but no chance I was ever gonna pay reseller prices ( the whole reseller thing disgusts me ) .

Tricky one this, they disgust me too, you almost can't buy AJ's at RRP anymore but its a fine line and has to be intentional reselling, for instance if i found a pair of 40's era 501's in the vintage shop for £20 in a size 36 i would still buy them knowing they didn't fit and sell them for what i thought to be market value even though that would mean a massive mark up, i don't think there's any shame in that.

...but on the other hand, It's one of the hurdles stopping me selling my CSF S406XXX, the early ones like mine have been listed on Yahoo for £2000

fullsizeoutput_3196.thumb.jpeg.54985eb4a59d54b21e9952c48c94a5ca.jpeg

Is this market value or reseller mark up? even if i sold mine for what i paid for it, would i be a fool for undervaluing it? why should my discernment not benefit me every once in a while? :ph34r::D

Edited by Double 0 Soul

I will only (eventually) sell my house for what I paid for it! :laugh2:

But seriously, I believe there’s a difference between that and an investor who buys a property and leaves it empty or rents it for a premium before selling it at a massive mark-up (market conditions permitting). Similarly, landlords who own multiple properties and outbid first-time buyers. It’s not illegal at all but I find it distasteful. I suppose I’m not a big fan of that kind of entrepreneurial capitalism!

34 minutes ago, Double 0 Soul said:

^^They're slightly more tastefull than the Levi's x AJ4 collab from a few years ago :D

https://sneakernews.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/levis-air-jordan-4-ao2571-401-official-images-1.jpg

I remember laughing at these on release then inhaling my coffee when they started cropping up on ebay for $2000 a few weeks later...Mirror-esque ;)

Good lord these are hideous. :D
I can't keep up with sneaker culture, I checked out those New Balance Levi's on Friday maybe 15 minutes after they had been released expecting that maybe there'd be a pair or two left.
Lo and behold they were completely sold out. No big deal since I had already talked myself out of them.
But the part that is ridiculous is that they're now being resold on the internet for over 100% markup at almost $600...why? :wacko2:

8 minutes ago, Maynard Friedman said:

I will only (eventually) sell my house for what I paid for it! :laugh2:

But seriously, I believe there’s a difference between that and an investor who buys a property and leaves it empty or rents it for a premium before selling it at a massive mark-up (market conditions permitting). Similarly, landlords who own multiple properties and outbid first-time buyers. It’s not illegal at all but I find it distasteful. I suppose I’m not a big fan of that kind of entrepreneurial capitalism!

Too true^

A couple of years ago my dad said.. can you sell my old Jeep for me (it was mint) i said yep no problem how much do you want for it? he said 'i would be happy to get back what i paid for it all those years ago' i checked the prices and the market value was twice what he paid for it, but he insisted he just wanted his investment back. I said how much did you pay for your house? he said £34,000 back in 1980something, i said ok i'll give you £34,000 for it now :D

..anyway, i sold his Jeep within seconds, it seemed nuts to me but he was happy with it, i said that dude will just sell it on and pocket himself a few grand, he said well good luck to him...

On 8/8/2021 at 9:16 PM, Broark said:

Good lord these are hideous. :D
I can't keep up with sneaker culture, I checked out those New Balance Levi's on Friday maybe 15 minutes after they had been released expecting that maybe there'd be a pair or two left.
Lo and behold they were completely sold out. No big deal since I had already talked myself out of them.
But the part that is ridiculous is that they're now being resold on the internet for over 100% markup at almost $600...why? :wacko2:

Hypebeasts galore once 992 is mentioned! I went on the website to have a look and my queue number was in the 70k's. Apparently <100 pairs released. Had to console myself with a pair of 993 military greens instead! These Levis look a bit off without mesh panels to be honest.

4 minutes ago, TerryElessar said:

I went on the website to have a look and my queue number was in the 70k's. Apparently <100 pairs released. 

Talk about a variance in supply and demand. I’ll probably just get some dad shoe 993s (grey) and call it a day, just need something light and good for walking in the summers here. 

50 minutes ago, Broark said:

Talk about a variance in supply and demand. I’ll probably just get some dad shoe 993s (grey) and call it a day, just need something light and good for walking in the summers here. 

Not many sizes left. Even for the 990v2 in black or navy. Screenshot_2021-08-11-20-11-19-593_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.d873c43e16ba44299b654a29b31479e6.jpg

Fortunately I’m after a size 12, just need to decide if I’ll wear them enough to justify buying. I’m not a big sneaker guy, I have a pair of UK 576 from years ago that I don’t wear too much. I think I prefer the look of the 993 though. 

Proportions are def less noticeable on the feet. You can still tell in person but i think only if you tend to look closely at what people wear. Yeah that’s the assumption that the coating will crack or wear away so we’ll see.