Iron Horse

The Leather Jacket Thread

Yeah he's still around, but wait times seem to be up to 4 years plus poor communication from what I understand. I would be fine with a long wait if it was said to be that from the outset, but that doesn't seem to be the case there.

You bet. I placed my deposit in March 2017... I thought it would take ~2 yrs...

Edited by JDelage

12 hours ago, JDelage said:

You bet. I placed my deposit in March 2017... I thought it would take ~2 yrs...

Yeah that's unfortunate. I hope you get yours soon.

For myself an Aero Highwayman today! Got it in a size 40. Opinions in the fit? 

I really like it, but breaking in leather jackets is a new domain for me but my raw denim experience tells me, that the fit will change as i break it in. Shoulders and sleeves feel perfect. Definitely plenty of  room in the body. Thought it’d be trimmer. Hang tag size 24.25” p2p. 

49F1BCAC-649A-49B5-B2B7-9368FEAA8BF0.jpeg

FB2D97E4-1F22-456D-BB53-2752DBA16217.jpeg

A5E369C4-FF1D-4ACD-A67A-CA1E32374A1D.jpeg

I think that looks a bit too roomy in the body. Size 40? That pit to pit is bigger than my size 46 Eastman A2. 

With a thick jumper, I think it’s quite good, though the lower portion does have plenty of room still. I guess it is a 50’a cut after all? Hard to tell how It’d be when it breaks in

@Facini- I would tighten those waist adjusters. The rest looks fine; it might be 1/2" too wide in the shoulders but the sleeves cannot be any shorter so...

I have tightened them a bit and i think its much better like this. I think this is the size. Can’t wait to break this bad boy in!

thanks for the advice.

Edited by Facini

It does look a bit roomy around the waist and i think that's compounded by the terrible camera angle, i bet if you took those photo's again from chest to head height rather than what looks like hip height, it would look a lot better.

The body looks too big, but the sleeves look good. The chest may be ok, but the bottom opening/waist definitely looks too big IMO.

Edited by dudewuttheheck

I wish FCL went above a 46

Alright, trying again, this time with a better camera angle and lighting. Side adjusters have been tightened some more.

EA98414C-84EC-47FD-BE27-9D35E3624D01.jpeg

4E905035-4530-4431-83CE-FC642F086986.jpeg

6511FF18-AF6E-42D9-A4BF-09DE2F712459.jpeg

i personally think the shoulders are too wide and it's significantly billowy in the torso, particularly at the back.

I'm thinking the same thing as Duke, pretty large discrepancy.

I know many modern interpretations are ‘slimmed’ down to suit the contemporary aesthetic, and often the original might have been cut as an over-jacket or to accommodate multiple under-layers, or even to allow for movement in bending the back (leaning forward on a motorcycle for example), but then similar allowances would have been made on the sleeves.

In fairness though, I think the jacket could hang quite well after a good bit of heavy wear. The stiffness of the leather isn’t helping the image at the moment.

I don't think the jacket looks all that bad. Just seems like a crazy sizing process, like you said it could be originally designed as an overcoat or something...
The only thing I don't particularly like about Aero jackets is the size of the collars. But that's a personal preference.

12 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

I don’t understand why a 40 jacket has a 48” chest

It’s the same vanity sizing principle used for jeans it would seem.

7 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

It’s the same vanity sizing principle used for jeans it would seem.

Your jeans have a chest size? That’s a very high rise ...

19 minutes ago, Duke Mantee said:

Your jeans have a chest size? That’s a very high rise ...

Didn't you hear? That's how they're fixing the sizing issues on the TCB 40s jeans. They're not changing the size chart or measurements at all, they're just going to change the "waist" measurement to say "chest" instead.

17 minutes ago, dudewuttheheck said:

Didn't you hear? That's how they're fixing the sizing issues on the TCB 40s jeans. They're not changing the size chart or measurements at all, they're just going to change the "waist" measurement to say "chest" instead.

:laugh2:

50549832518_f49c274101_o.jpg

The grain on this jacket is something else. I don't know if it's gotten more pronounced, but I'm always pleasantly surprised when I see it.

Looks fantastic!

On 10/28/2020 at 7:30 AM, Duke Mantee said:

I know many modern interpretations are ‘slimmed’ down to suit the contemporary aesthetic, and often the original might have been cut as an over-jacket or to accommodate multiple under-layers, or even to allow for movement in bending the back (leaning forward on a motorcycle for example), but then similar allowances would have been made on the sleeves.

In fairness though, I think the jacket could hang quite well after a good bit of heavy wear. The stiffness of the leather isn’t helping the image at the moment.

This was my thought, after some breaking in it could be perfect, and if there is space to wear something a little heavier under it? All the better.

I have decided to keep it and give it hell. After almost a week, it has definitely already improved. I’ll post and update in a while. I do like that FQHH leather. Could spend hours looking at every square centimetre of it :D