Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

15 hours ago, AlientoyWorkmachine said:

@jeash90 nothing fancy. Just a breville express. Or honestly I use a picopresso and hand grind a lot of the time when I want a different bean than is in the hamper of the breville. While I enjoy it quite a bit let’s say I get more finicky with denim ha. 

@MJF9 chemex is definitely my preferred way to go if I’m doing normal coffee. 

@AlientoyWorkmachine, solid! I've heard good things about it! I went with the Gaggia classic pro and have enjoyed it so far. 

On 9/15/2024 at 1:40 AM, Double 0 Soul said:

There was talk of rebuilding, most of us were prepared to contribute but i wanted them to hand over the keys to the forum to someone we could trust.. i always thought @CSL was a safe pair of hands (Hi Carl) but no, they wouldn't hand over the reigns, so we migrated back here and it was left to die.. we did have one last push to save the old place.. i set up a email group chat.. it was me, Ooms, Julian, Flash, Maynard, Bartles, b_F, Duke.. a motley crew if there ever was one.., we contributed more to this group chat over a few short months than we'd contributed to the forums in years .. thanks lads, i'll love you always for that.

Even years later.. i hadn't contributed to DB for quite some time.. lockdown happened during a denim tour.. it was Foxy's turn with the jeans, but this was 2020, the world had changed, Foxy had left his job in Moscow, he and his wife drove across Europe from Berlin to his house on the Isle of Eigg before the borders closed.. i've stayed at Foxy's house, it's fkin miles from the post office, the post is collected weekly by ferry to take it to the mainland, I doubt the ferry was even running, he'd relocating his entire life, lets cut him some slack, but No! .. the DB hierarchy thought this was somehow my doing..@Maynard Friedman tried to step in as the voice of reasonbut they still thought  Foxy and I were trying to sabotage the tour because i was still grouchy over what happened.. as i say, fkin bizzarre but that's just Denimbro in a nutshell.

fullsizeoutput_4153.thumb.jpeg.1de6b154c6119103fd722da9ba9d4ca1.jpeg

..the jeans turned up sometime later and no apologies were ever made..

The End..

love you back 00! ❤️ at the end i was positively rooting for foxy to nick the leroy. unfortunately he was too much of a nice guy to do so

On 9/15/2024 at 7:21 AM, julian-wolf said:

For what it’s worth, I actually was just talking with Roy about those jeans (& that whole saga) a few months ago, and for his part he claims that it was never communicated to him that there was meant to be a full contest run of the jeans until it was already way too late to up production…given how poor the communication was on the DB end, as well, it’s easy for me to believe that all the miscommunication fell on Sansome (or whomever it was nominally organizing) from the start

i was always flabbergasted how sansome managed to write a book, on the forum he sounded lowkey illiterate

8 minutes ago, oomslokop said:

love you back 00! ❤️ at the end i was positively rooting for foxy to nick the leroy. unfortunately he was too much of a nice guy to do so

I was only thinking about you this morning Ooms.. I was looking up sizing infos on Tezo tees and wandered into 2015era Denimbro.. I spotted a great photo of you and Mrs Ooms.. you wearing grey Tezomeya, Mrs Ooms wearing a Mary Quant bob B) :cool:

Anyone tried this concoction?

its meant to increase your sexual potency.. I see empty bottles of it littering the ground near work.. it was massive in the 1990s era Jamaican dancehall scene..

3733210D-AF57-4670-B341-550D3676A600.thumb.jpeg.d6d1ddf81c07bfbbbf0877a8dff43374.jpeg

i was going to buy a bottle when I went to Mitchell’s Wine Lodge t’other week but it was £4.65 for the tiny bottle.. the shop staff said it had a syrupy cherry flavour (sounds like something I would hate) so I gave it a miss.. if it was £2, I would have given it a whirl..

On 9/20/2024 at 6:11 PM, Double 0 Soul said:

I was only thinking about you this morning Ooms.. I was looking up sizing infos on Tezo tees and wandered into 2015era Denimbro.. I spotted a great photo of you and Mrs Ooms.. you wearing grey Tezomeya, Mrs Ooms wearing a Mary Quant bob B) :cool:

thanks for the blast from the past 00. i did look alright 10kgs ago...

which tezos r u getting? probably time for me to get some new ones, i'll probably hv to get the 75/80 on the normal tees now, being irreversibly more plump. i was a 70 for the longest time till the pandemic. ull probably destroy them in seconds tho, theyre not sturdy, especially the standard tees. even mine have disintegrated beyond sashiko repairs. and im as sedentary as they get. the 'shoulder patch' tee is more resilient, clearly thicker to the touch, but the sizing is weird. when they say it will stretch, it really does up to a size bigger. shrinks back after each wash. the colours also look more vibrant/saturated on the shoulder patch tee. here's one worn by my daughter – a hands down from the missus – after a dance performance (hence the yellow hair bow and work pants of many coiours), wd be at least 10 years old. 

PXL_20240908_121730278.MP.jpg

Edited by oomslokop

I was going to buy a bundle of their standard short sleeve tees Ooms.. see the looped thread but their fragility could be a deal breaker.. I need to replace all of my tees but i'm not the kinda guy who spends £50 on a plain tee, no matter how nice the material.. i mean, how much time does one spend appreciating the fabric of t-shirts? from my perspective, that would be zero hours / wk :D .. i can buy a perfect fitting plain white tee for a 5er .. the dying adds a whole new dimension tho, but as you say.. my tees are fked because i wear them hard, if i can't wear these without fear of them becoming holey in the nr future, they might not be the tees for me.

1 hour ago, Double 0 Soul said:

how much time does one spend appreciating the fabric of t-shirts? from my perspective, that would be zero hours / wk :D

That perspective might shift if you had some tees made from fabric worth appreciating

After all, I’d bet a vast majority of folks would say the same about jeans if asked, and you’ve never seemed to have any trouble on that front

I think the tezo tees are pretty hard wearing actually… the fabric is thicker than my whitesville or Stevenson tees, on par with a vintage hanes heavy maybe. I’ve had a few for almost a year and have no signs of seams or fabric wearing thru. but I haven’t had them long enough to see them start to fall apart so maybe it happens quick. still think u should give em a try double 0!!

38 minutes ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Maybe.. but the vast majority of folks are not denim nerds and just because i am a denim nerd, it doesn't auto-make me a t-shirt nerd :D

We all know you’re a nerd about anything you like enough - denim, bikes, wood, bathrooms, tents, anything Sheffield related (😴), turmeric (FFS!) - it’s in your DNA, so stop pretending and give ‘em a try. If they’re not hardwearing enough, I’ll send you my ‘Neasden Polytechnic’ t-shirt that you can wear for work 😆

dont wanna trigger u anymore than u already r 00, but u mustve lost reams of records of yr nerdiness in the big denimbro thread pogrom...

i can still smell the fresh south yorkshire air while hunting for wild mushrooms w/ mini00, the wood shavings in yr workshop (the shoe stretcher (?) was mad lit!), the bike grease burning instant potholes on yr rmc ww2... 

Edited by oomslokop
purple prose

I’ve collected 2 orders from Tezo earlier this year, I’ve got 4 shorties (one natural. One a madder dye and 2 indigo tye dyes)  and one long sleeve Henley - and if the t’s prove to be fragile, nice as they are, I’ll go back to buying cheapies from Muji or Volcom or whatever I find on sale.. For me the dye was more the selling point and their organic undyed was a bit less than all the brands usually seen here. I’ve no reason to yet deem these things fragile, so I’m optimistic.

Switching gears with a question for better travelled/western Europe residents here. My wife and I are taking a trip middle next May and we’d like to take about 4-5 days in a particular spot to do a bunch of day hikes and otherwise lie low, work on writing, reading and relaxing. For day hikes we’re not looking for anything crazy probably 7-12km distances. Any areas anyone recommends? We’ve heard the Lake District in England would suit well, for example, but are still collecting ideas. 

18 minutes ago, MasonAlexander said:

Any of the ol fellas from my era on the forum still around? 2016-2019 ish ? How has everybody been?

i think u were summoned in the hats/caps/bonnets thread a couple of years ago