Unknown Non-Japanese Brands

Megatron1505

16 hours ago, JDelage said:

Me too! (In the Summer that is...) Some of the best shorts I've ever worn. Maybe they make them in the new denim...

Ha, great idea, we should bug them about it; in fact, I think I will!

edit: I just contacted them, let’s see what, if anything, comes of it.

edit #2: If bugging them doesn’t work, we’ll have to ruin a pair of scissors making cutoffs.

edit #3: Well, just ordered a pair so if they don’t listen to my whining, I’ll have cutoff shorts in Steel Forge denim!

Edited by lance

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, lance said:

Thanks, KapitalSteez, 27.5 ozs?? Hand loomed denim is usually looser but man, that’s a heavy denim! Please post some photos and your review. Did you simply order online directly from them and how was the ordering process?

I got the weight wrong, it is 26. 27.5 was speculation in the comments I think. Looks like quite a loose weave but yea. Will definitely post a review when they arrive! 

Ordering was just done via DM on Instagram. Seems strange to me but issued as a proper invoice through PayPal. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/16/2018 at 12:08 PM, mpukas said:

@JDelage nice shirt and jacket. How is buying thru taobao? 

It works OK-ish. There was no big problem, but it's obviously not optimized for (1) overseas and (2) non Chinese speaker. When you combine those two, it feels a bit haphazard. The communication (items received, items shipped, etc) are on the Taobao console, so you need to check it every few days. Also, you have to authorize the ship costs separately from the purchase (which makes sense since the items are bought from the seller but are then sent to Taobao to be shipped overseas).  Refund for unshipped items is also not automatic. Finally, I couldn't pay with my CC (Chase), it was declined several times, despite going through Chase's verification widget. I had to use my bank card. Most of the Chinese writing is HTML text, but a few are embedded pics, and those are not translated by Google.

Edited by JDelage

• 2 months later...

Anyone have a rundown of the best way to browse/buy from Taobao? I like those faux Patagonia fleece jackets Volvo has been posting lately but I’ve never bought anything from Taobao before. Thanks!

My recommendation is to use a proxy. I used the Taobao site "internal proxy" for my Labor Union purchase and only got 1 out of 2 packages (missing 2 shirts). Not only that, but purchasing itself wasn't a walk in the park, as one of my CC systematically declined the transaction. I used Taobao Focus in the past, and it worked fine.

4 hours ago, Broark said:

Anyone have a rundown of the best way to browse/buy from Taobao? I like those faux Patagonia fleece jackets Volvo has been posting lately but I’ve never bought anything from Taobao before. Thanks!

Go for it Austin haha! I have compared side by side the Realthing fleeces against some vintage Patagonia and construction wise they absolutely hold their own. Time will tell if they will last just as long. Patagonia stuff is remarkable on that regard.

i could perhaps write an essay on how taobao ruined my life and made me the most greedy and consumeristic cheapo bastard on earth..
I've tried several proxies and settled down on superbuy, I think it's the absolute best, proxy fees are lower and most of all the buying experience is as smooth as possible (buying on taobao requires always flexibility and consciusness that farce can always be behind the corner..).

Browse taobao from Chrome so that the google translator plugin will translate automatically the item descriptions. Google translate image translation can be extra handy when sizing charts are posted on a image format. Once you found what you want simply log in on superbuy and copy the link in the superbuy clipboard. It's better to buy a few things together so that it will justify the shipping expenses (ha ha ha). you pay once when ordering, then you pay again once your parcel shipping to your address is submitted.

For pro intensive buying experience and ultimate waste of time get both the taobao app and the superbuy app...

Extra pic of the last RealThing in all his 90s nostalgia splendor.

IMG_20190307_161436-01.thumb.jpeg.f267741759d2e2f391eb988df66b8c57.jpeg

Edited by volvo240thebest

Thanks kindly for the writeup Volvo, I've seen a lot of pretty good looking Taobao stuff for quite cheap so I figured I would try it out.
Now just trying to figure out where to start with what to buy...

Taobao app will remember your searches and propose other similar items for you. I actually hate when it happens on ebay but on a Chinese language site it's interesting. It's a good way to start. Check out stuff by Bronson too,  their tube tees are solid as well many other of their basics. Remains clothing makes cool stuff too. I don't want to spoil you too much of the pleasure of the hunt... That's the most entertaining part of taobao I think.

11 hours ago, Broark said:

Love those fleeces as well. @volvo240thebests pic in the TCB contest thread (wearing Yuketen or similar instead of the sneaks) had me thinking about if JFK junior had grown up in the 90s.