Jump to content
kiya

Shoes that look better with age...

Recommended Posts

it wasn't until you mentioned that oakstreet were shunned that I realized that I also kind of viewed them in a negative light but I no longer remember why....was there an actual thing that happened? I remember seeing their boots everywhere for a bit during the great American Made Heritage years of the 2010s. 

Edited by youngofthesoonest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AFAIK they had some significant QC issues in the early days. My trench boots I posted some time ago are still the best boots I’ve owned, no complaints. But I’m a sneakers or birks dude most days so I’m not the best ref on that. I’m a homer for chicago stuff tho so oak street using horween basically sold itself to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly can't remember what it was, but something they did pissed people off if I recall correctly.
Were they doing some pseudo-GYW stuff back in the day perhaps? And marketing it as true GYW? Just spitballing here...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grant Stone is shunned here as well, except on Reddit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is any manufacturer actually shunned or is it more that folk are just voicing their preferences?

There’s a fair few makers I wouldn’t bother myself over for one reason or another and I’ll express that, but I hope that’s just taken as a valid opinion and not a call to arms. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m looking forward to someone posting a Gustin/Mastersons/White Horse Ranch/Oak Street WAYWYT! :laugh2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maynard Friedman said:

I’m looking forward to someone posting a Gustin/Mastersons/White Horse Ranch/Oak Street WAYWYT! :laugh2:

Maybe you could do that fit pic?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I owned anything by any of those brands (never mind all of them) I would…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Maynard Friedman right that's too good an opportunity to miss mate...

DM me your address cos I've got a pair of Gustin socks lined up for you!  Looking forward to the fit pics!!! :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2022 at 4:50 PM, youngofthesoonest said:

it wasn't until you mentioned that oakstreet were shunned that I realized that I also kind of viewed them in a negative light but I no longer remember why....was there an actual thing that happened? I remember seeing their boots everywhere for a bit during the great American Made Heritage years of the 2010s. 

 

On 10/11/2022 at 5:24 PM, AlientoyWorkmachine said:

AFAIK they had some significant QC issues in the early days. My trench boots I posted some time ago are still the best boots I’ve owned, no complaints. But I’m a sneakers or birks dude most days so I’m not the best ref on that. I’m a homer for chicago stuff tho so oak street using horween basically sold itself to me. 

 

On 10/11/2022 at 7:02 PM, Broark said:

I honestly can't remember what it was, but something they did pissed people off if I recall correctly.
Were they doing some pseudo-GYW stuff back in the day perhaps? And marketing it as true GYW? Just spitballing here...

They had their own dealer thread on another board and it became a place to nitpick QC as I recall. Mostly unfairly in my view. It was sort of the height of “work” boots coming in to fashion wear, which also meant the height of boot buyers wanting every stitch to be perfect.  That combined with the fact that all their boots at the time were natural CXL, which picks up every nick, sort of became a wave of complaints. They finally just abandoned the thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I recall correctly Fracap was mentioned here at some point (maybe Julian got a pair?), they recently did a collaboration with Knickerbocker that looks nice.
Particularly like these low cut suede ones, but here's a link to the four different varieties: https://knickerbocker.nyc/collections/fracap-knickerbocker
Fall_22_Fracap_027_2048x.jpg?v=164885173

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I have a pair of Fracap boots. They're pretty disappointing. The construction seems very clean, but the materials haven't held up well at all. I doubt I wore them for more than a couple dozen days, total, and the leather upper and rubber outsole are both cracking significantly. They also started off pretty stiff, and didn't really break in as much as I'd hoped (or at least they hadn't yet). I think they're decidedly more on the fashion end of things than the functionality end of things, whether or not that's clear from how the company presents itself.

They seem to go on discount for ~$200 pretty regularly, which is maybe an okay deal if they fit a niche you're looking to fill…but I definitely wouldn't recommend paying MSRP for them like I did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good info to have, thanks Julian! That sounds pretty disappointing overall. Think I’ll pass, especially at full retail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah. It's a shame, 'cause they're really pretty boots, and have some good customization options

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mlwdp, I already did order during weekend. Waiting time is 2-3 months.....

Edited by vIGGiou riou

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@vIGGiou riouOther than Max himself, haven’t seen them in the wild on feet yet.

Edited by mlwdp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mlwdp, it's true. even me I didn't  find other pictures of real life of them. only on Max. But they are White's and I didn't read here some negative review on White's boots. They look superb... If not, all community here will know it .... :o(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hoggs of Fife have been putting in a lot of work, last few months

Probably around 40–50 days of wear, at this point

OMlLqCS.jpg

egJ0Pns.jpg

kYFli0k.jpg

VNeXp8c.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

General question after looking on @julian-wolf post pictures above. What do you guys think about glacage/mirror polishing for work or engineer boots? I've never done it, but sometimes the thought of trying it using fine products from Saphir or alike comes to mind. And what are the thoughts about mirror polishing in general, for dress shoes, etc.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2022 at 6:16 AM, Talan said:

General question after looking on @julian-wolf post pictures above. What do you guys think about glacage/mirror polishing for work or engineer boots? I've never done it, but sometimes the thought of trying it using fine products from Saphir or alike comes to mind. And what are the thoughts about mirror polishing in general, for dress shoes, etc.?

Why do you want a mirror polish?

Lot of work to maintain it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now