Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

I see a lot of references to "beating the hell" out of expensive jeans and boots. As far as I'm concerned, if I've paid a lot of money for an item, I look after it and try to preserve the life expectancy within reasonable limits, while using it for its purpose. Is this just a term for wearing something regularly without 'babying' it or do people really just want to trash stuff for kudos and bragging rights?

I also feel uneasy seeing people talk about trashing their denim and leather. People want quick wins and aren't willing to see fabrics truly age well plus there is rep/kudos to be earned by wearing something out as quickly as possible. I prefer the approach that you'll see in Lightning mag and on the Japanese blogs where people are maintaining their clothing and footwear for years of use and it ends up looking beautiful. It's certainly not 'babying' to stitch ripped denim early or apply leather treatment etc and keep the train a rollin'.

same here. as my pairs of jeans, boots & accoutrements i post at the forums reflect, i am more of a 'marathon' type of consumer, than a 100-meter dasher ... not much of a collector either cuz when i get it i really can't wait to [have] it. must be cuz i was deprived as a child ;)

^Nice. WL?

I see a lot of references to "beating the hell" out of expensive jeans and boots. As far as I'm concerned, if I've paid a lot of money for an item, I look after it and try to preserve the life expectancy within reasonable limits, while using it for its purpose. Is this just a term for wearing something regularly without 'babying' it or do people really just want to trash stuff for kudos and bragging rights?

Don't get me started or it'll be next week before I'm finished...

Can I ask where in Yorkshire? I live in Ilkley, classed as West Yorks but have heard it termed the gateway to North Yorkshire.

Bah t'at?

I'm in West Yorks, Leeds to be precise, mid-March for a weekend. Think I'll be stopping off in sunny Doncaster on the way oop north...

Edited by CrashTestBrummie

Gnome, I think so mate, I'd handled a few samples while I was there and although I'd decided to go with black I'm fairly certain that WL have the latigo in a dark brown too - and CXL as well.

Funny how leather from a Chicago tannery should end up in a remote, century old traditional bootmaker in the Peak District.

edit - the B5 leather as they call it, a reverse or rough out kipp butt as used on the WWI boot is incredible, I mean it had to be 4mm thick! Probably an exaggeration, but it was bloody nice.

- cheers tigerpac :D

Right on Hog. I love the black, but I already have a pair of CXL White's, so adding another black pair would be redundant, and denim/boot heads are never ever redundant at all ever. Right? Anyways, great pair, I think I will seriously consider WL as my next buy.

Haha, I had a Weetabix gang tshirt back in the 80s.

Those boots look superb Hoggreaser. I really must pay a visit to William Lennon, as the factory is about 30 mins drive from my parents' house. I don't suppose you went to nearby Grindleford on your travels did you? There's a legendary greasy spoon by the train station which is well worth a visit!

I used to live in Sheffield before moving to Derbyshire. (WL Country) a pint at my local on a Sunday consists of moleskin clad country folk with shotguns, Spaniels at heel. One dude has a fucking hawk on his arm in the pub (no shit a Hawk!) as you can imagine i fit in just peachy.

Its worth it for the roast spuds though.

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...